Help! Advice For First Gps...

jeffnchels

I've seen so many different pieces of advice for what to buy to get into this that I'm totally lost. I've been looking a lot at the iFinder Go. Numbers-wise, it seems to have by far the most capability for the price. I have a PDA that I carry everywhere anyway, so I'm not really concerned about the connectivity thing (I can just download things into my PDA right?). Anyone have any experience with CacheMate on the PDA? Anyway, I got to looking at the Geko 201 and it seemed pretty cool too. The Games feature on it looks kind of fun. Does the iFinder have a similar feature? Also, how is the reception? Is it worth it to step up to a more expensive unit to get better reception in trees? There isn't a local store that carries the iFinder so I can't test it out in my hand first. Also, if I did want to use one for trip planning in the car, does the software for that require a GPS unit with connectivity to my computer? What about the different coordinate systems? Worth it to get one with those?

Overall, I figure I have up to $200 to spend. I certainly don't want to spend that much if I don't have to, and if I stay under that, it would leave me more money for software, accessories, membership here ;), etc. Somebody please help!!!

PDA or not, you're still going to want PC connectivity to download waypoints, maps and software upgrades.

The Geko 201 is a good unit, but for about the same money (around $130) you can get an eTrex Legend, which is a mapping GPS. The Geko doesn't have mapping.

Also, if I did want to use one for trip planning in the car, does the software for that require a GPS unit with connectivity to my computer?

It depends whether or not you want to use your GPS for routing. Some people just bring their laptops along and use it for trip planning. I prefer not to cart my laptop along and I have a GPS (Garmin Map 60CS) that supports auto routing. Auto routing GPS's are generally out of your price range, esp. once you factor in the software. Except for one. The Garmin GPS V does auto routing and it comes with the software included in the price. You can get the GPS V for just over $200 if you shop around.

As far as the iFinder, I can't say much about it as I have no experience with the Lowerance line. Lowerance users are in the overwhelming minority in the geocaching world, though those who do use them seem to like them and say they are a good value.

I've seen so many different pieces of advice for what to buy to get into this that I'm totally lost.

You are? That surprises me. We have the reputation of being a so Garmin-centric around here ;)

Awwww...what the heck. I'm going to do it. I'm going to recommend the eTrex Legend. I think it's an excellent price/feature balance. I still love mine.

And if you join our international conspiracy, we'll teach you the secret handshake and everything...

The Legend has one feature that makes it not so geocaching friendly IMHO.

On my Geko when you pull up the list of "Nearest Waypoints" that list is constantly updated on the fly while you move, so if you move AWAY from a cache while the list is displayed that cache will actually move down on the list. With the Legend, the "Nearest Waypoints" list is static. Once you pull it up it remains static and does not update until you go back up a menu level, and reselect "Nearest Waypoints". Personally I find that very annoying. I like to drive with my Geko in the dashboard mount constantly showing the nearest caches as I drive along.

That and the list on the Geko also shows the current distance and direction for EVERY cache on the display, whereas the Legend requires you to cursor down over each cache to individually display it's distance/direction info.

The mapping feature of the Legend is great, and it does have a lot of things I DO like, I just wish they had left the "Nearest Waypoints" feature the same as the Geko's.... as I said, it's much more GeoCacher friendly.

Anyone else ready to sign a petition to Garmin to get it changed? ;)

Thanks for the info. The Legend definitely is attractive. The reason I was looking at the iFinder was that for the next year and a half, I'll be a medical resident; after that, my income should go up and that extra $50 won't be quite so painful. I thought I could play for the next year and a half on a cheap entry level GPS and upgrade later to some of the extra connectivity, road-mapping features, etc. I guess I want some reassurance that the cheaper units will keep me entertained for the next while. Is the reception any "weaker" (sorry, don't know the proper terms...)? Is it a huge pain to enter data in manually?

You are? That surprises me. We have the reputation of being a so Garmin-centric around here  :)

Really? I never noticed. ;)

We iFinder fanatics are out-numbered here about 1000 to 1.

Ok, I'll say it... The Legend is ok as a first GPSr, but I won't back down on my opinion that the Basic iFinder is a better unit for about the same price. The MeriGold is also a great unit, but a bit more expensive.

For the most part... all Garmin, Magellans, and Lowrance GPSr's are equal in reception and accuracy. Each has it own quirks, advantages, and disadvantages.

Does the iFinder have a similar feature?
The iFinder does not have games.
Also, how is the reception?
Very good, including WAAS!
Is it worth it to step up to a more expensive unit to get better reception in trees?
No. Get a $20 active antenna, but only after experience proves it is needed. (ok JV?)
Also, if I did want to use one for trip planning in the car, does the software for that require a GPS unit with connectivity to my computer?
Yes. So if you're thinking about mapping, get a unit with PC connectivity. Pick one: Direct RS232 cable (slow), Removable memory (very fast), Direct USB cable (really, really fast).
What about the different coordinate systems?
Too many to list, but it's usually a non-issue.

If you want what everybody else has, get the Legend.

If you're a free thinking individual, get an iFinder.

(I have over 700 hours on mine with no problems and really like it). :)

reidster.

The iFinder GO is an extremely cost effective starter GPSr and quite powerful for the money. Tiger GPS has it on sale for $69, which is pretty impressive considering it has 32mb storage and basemaps.

WAAS and a 16 channel receiver make it very good for accuracy, and because the unit is a NEW MODEL it is probably just as accurate as any other GPSr currently on the consumer market, at any price. In the world of GPSr's, spending more $ doesn't necessarily buy you better accuracy. In fact, some other GPSr might be more expensive BUT has poorer ability to aquire/hold satellites because its technology is a generation old.. keep this in mind.

If you already have a PDA then yes you can connect it to PC and use Cachemate as a total Geocaching solution. Yes you will have to key in coordinates into the iFinder manually, but this only takes about a minute to do :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what your specifics are regarding setting up a road trip,, but because the iFinder GO does have basemaps of roads (North America), you CAN create travel routes directly on the GPSr without a PC connection. Up to 100 legs can be stored on the GPS & linked together to form a route.

If your plan is to start basic now then upgrade sometime later, $69 for an iFinder GO is a great option. And, no, sorry there are no games on the iFinderGO. Howerver there are 1000's of free & cheap games available for your PDA. Win win! :)

Edited by IVxIV
Is it a huge pain to enter data in manually?

One set of coordinates, no. If you are planning on a day of caching, with multiple caches to hit, then it can be a pain. A big benefit of the cable is that you can run a PQ and dowload up to 500 caches with a few mouse clicks. Its nice to have all your area's caches already on your GPS so if you happen to find yourself with a little time all you have to do is flick on your GPS and see what's nearby.

I'm not familiar with the iFinder, but here are some things to consider -

1. Whatever GPS you get, make sure it can connect to a PC. Sure, it's not difficult to punch in waypoints manually, but it quickly becomes tedious after the tenth cache. It's also error prone, which means you will eventually spend a long time looking for a cache that is actually .5 miles away due to an entry error. Trust me :rolleyes: .

2. Any GPS will suffice for basic "point me to the cache" use. Any one at all. The basic "you are here" functionality is essentially equal whether you spend $60 or $600. I've used an eTrex (patch antenna) and GPSMAP60CS (quad helix antenna) and found a slight advantage to the quad helix antenna, but I can't recall a single cache that I couldn't find due to my eTrex failing to lock on to satellites. Even the most expensive GPS will lose lock under dense tree cover.

3. For plotting routes you MUST have a PC connection, and you will need to purchase additional mapping software (approximately $100) for the GPS of your choice. For those GPS units that do not "auto-route" you will plot your routes ahead of time on the PC and then download the route to the GPS. Even a unit like the Geko or the basic yellow eTrex will allow you to download and follow routes, but their user interface is understandably primitive (no map, no street identification, etc., just an arrow).

4. If you can swing $300, the GARMIN GPSV will give you a mapping GPS with 19mB of memory, the mapping software, and autorouting, all in the same bundle. It is an unequivocal bargain, but a bit outside your budget limit. You'll spend a long time geocaching before you outgrow it, and the autorouting will prove very helpful in navigating while on vacation, or if you take a job in a new city.

If you have some time to kill some evening, browse around this website. It has a wealth of impartial information that will probably answer a lot of your questions, plus some head to head comparison reviews of various GPS units from Magellan, GARMIN, and Lowrance.

Wow...thank you everyone. Great advice. Two more quick questions...

1) Someone mentioned "newer" generation accuracy. The Legend has been around for a while right? Is it considered "newer generation"?

2) For the iFinder fan...is there an iFinder version that can connect to the computer?

Thanks again! I'm sure I could find these answers eventually, but you guys do a better job of translating it into English!

Wow...thank you everyone.  Great advice.  Two more quick questions...

1)  Someone mentioned "newer" generation accuracy.  The Legend has been around for a while right?  Is it considered "newer generation"?

2)  For the iFinder fan...is there an iFinder version that can connect to the computer?

Thanks again!  I'm sure I could find these answers eventually, but you guys do a better job of translating it into English!

1) The Legend has been around for a while, so I would consider it an old genetation design. The Legend C is a new model. Did Garmin overhaul the guts of the unit (updated antenna etc) or just add color, I'm not sure. If users of the C are reporting improved aquisition performance then yes it would appear the whole thing is new, and just wears the same formfactor.

2) Every Lowrance iFinder except for the GO and GO2 connect to computer. All of them (again except the GO's) also use add-in memory expansion cards interface for up to 1GB data space. These memory cards connect to computer via USB card reader interface.

My first unit was an etrex yellow-- bought it at Walmart for about $89, found 140 caches with it entering the coordinates manually--it took some time but it wasnt that bad. I then purchased a gps V for the auto routing and such and have been very happy with it. I think I gave about $190 for it but it was the deluxe addition with the maps and all. I would reccomend the gps v because of the auto-routing and maps. I have never used a magellan so I cant give an opinion on it.

4. If you can swing $300, the GARMIN GPSV will give you a mapping GPS with 19mB of memory, the mapping software, and autorouting, all in the same bundle.

A Froogle search shows the GPS V selling for as little as $229 (and as high $735 :rolleyes: That's US dollars, so it pays to shop around).

I started about two months ago with a Meridian Gold.

Works great, good features, good reception, decent price. Plus computer connectivity, and an SD memory port for as much waypoints and maps as you need.

Figure with everything you'l probably pay a total of about $220 or so. 256M SD's go around my house for about $15 on sale.

An IFinder or a Yellow Garmin Etrex should get you to within 20 to 30 feet of the cache. A Garmin 60CS with all the maps, $500 or so, will get you to within 20 or 30 feet of the cache. From there, you have to think like a cache hider. All the rest is bells and whistles. (I happen to be a sucker for bells and whistles :rolleyes: ).

2)  For the iFinder fan...is there an iFinder version that can connect to the computer?
2) Every Lowrance iFinder except for the GO and GO2 connect to computer. All of them (again except the GO's) also use add-in memory expansion cards interface for up to 1GB data space. These memory cards connect to computer via USB card reader interface.
True, but I'd like to expand on this a little.

The iFinder does connect to a PC, but it's a talker only. It's RS232 port is only for sending NMEA (standardized GPSr protocol for listing position and GPS info) to your PC. Nice if you take a laptop along your trips. To load maps and transfer any GPSr data (waypoints, trails, & routes) you must remove the SD card and place in a card reader. Removing the card is fairly simple and only takes a few seconds.

The MeriGold is similar, but also I believe allows map and data transfers via the RS232 port. But using the RS232 is many times slower than using the card reader.

The Legend (old model, not C) does not have removable memory and all map and data transfers are done only via its RS232 port. How slow, I don't know. Can someone give us an idea how long it takes to fully load a legend?

The new Legend C has a USB port, making it the fastest.

I hope this helps, reidster.

Edited by reidster

Since it is what I own, and what I could afford, I recommend the Garmin eTrex Vista. Here are some available at Amazon from Amazon sellers for around $200.00. The Vista has 24 MB memory which is a lot, and I don't have to mess around with any cards or card readers.

As far as the speed of the serial connection goes, unless someone is traveling to different areas frequently, they are probably going to load the maps of their area in once and leave them like that.

Downloading tracks and lots of waypoints can take a long time, but how frequently do people do that? I've only done that so I could show my tracks as images on my Geocaching Blog.

If you can afford all the "Bells and Whistles," by all means, get the top of the line. If you would rather spend your money on gas to get out to Geocaches, get the least expensive model that connects to a computer so you can upload the waypoints. That is essential.

I've made mistakes entering the numbers in by hand. It isn't fun looking for something that is 10 miles away from its actual position. :)

Edit for logic . . . :rolleyes:

Edited by idiosyncratic

24 mB of map detail took around 45 minutes to upload to my Vista via serial connection. 56mB of map detail takes around 5 minutes or so with my 60CS via USB.

An IFinder or a Yellow Garmin Etrex should get you to within 20 to 30 feet of the cache. A Garmin 60CS with all the maps, $500 or so, will get you to within 20 or 30 feet of the cache.

This is exactly right. The bells and whistles only serve to make life a little easier. If the GPS is used only for geocaching, then the simpler the better. But if you plan to use the GPS to follow driving routes in the car then autorouting is a truly useful and amazing technology. It's like having Mapquest in your pocket.