Distance Variables?

KA7CJH

What would the distance be between 119' 50.337 and 119' 50.357 be?

Would this cause me to be off just a little or alot?

I scrweed up entering coordinates into my gps this morning and left me to miss finding a cache i have been watching for a while.

Chris KA7CJH

If it were in Reno, the difference would be 93 feet.

That would be more than enough to get you on the wrong side of a wall, park, street, or parking lot. For a cache such as Excalibur it's enough to put you on the wrong side of the wash.

Have you tried downloading from computer to GPX? You get more caches on the GPS and less typo's.

At latitude X, the size of a minute of longitude is 1852*cos(X) metres. Without looking at a map, I guess that's between about 1200 and 1500 metres from the Canadian to the Mexican border. So 0.020 would be 30 metres, just over 90 feet, in the southern US.

As an even rougher guide, every 0.001 error either way is about 5 feet. That's wrong, but it'll let you know quickly if you're 50 or 5000 feet out. <_<

If it were in Reno, the difference would be 93 feet.

That would be more than enough to get you on the wrong side of a wall, park, street, or parking lot. For a cache such as Excalibur it's enough to put you on the wrong side of the wash.

Have you tried downloading from computer to GPX? You get more caches on the GPS and less typo's.

dadgum your good.. Yep it was for the Excalibur cache here in Reno.. I put the right coordinates in and found the cache with no problem.. I was only 50 feet off the first time.

Thanks guys/gals.

Chris

Dang this forum is handy. Sounds like not only did this guy get an answer to his question, but you guys practically found the cache for him too! :D

Hahaha,

I could have used a bit of help keeping the young muggle kids away so i could sign the log. maybe next time.

Chris