Other Caches In Area

Dr123d

Just a question. Would it be ok to mention in the discription that I have other caches in the area that are listed on another website (witout mentioning the spacific site)?

Example-I have other caches in this area that are not listed on this site. Please feel free to seek them out if you like this one.

You could probably even link to them.

you could at that!!

i've seen notes such as that myself, although i've found that the finding of said caches tends to result in a bit more mileage.. :D

if it's your cache, do what you want. if it someone else's, be discreet..

no harm no foul..

Like this?

Since there's already a link to nearby caches, the only harm would be slighting someone because you mentioned 2 of them in park and didn't mention your best friend's cache that's also in the same park.

What I'm refering to in the question is, listing terracaches that are in the are on GC cache page.

i don't think i'd list them on the GC page. referencing them is one thing, shoving them in someone's face is another..

as TC gets a few more members here and there, there will be plenty of folks looking for both when they go out..

they probably won't ever become the giant that GC is, which is fine, but the niche market they're cutting out is doing fine on its' own as well. if you must, mention your TC in the log, but leave it out of the cache page, other than just a mention that other caches are available on other sites.

folks should be able to figure it out..

;)

... or you could mention that your cache is cross-listed on TerraCaching. I peeked over a friend's shoulder to see what was available in my State, and fully 50% of the terracaches were just cross-listings of present or former Geocaching.com caches. Oh joy, I could sign up and get a smiley face on *two* sites for the same park and grab, the same urban micro in the bushes, the same webcam, etc. Since the site didn't seem to be delivering what it's advertising -- more challenging, creative hides -- I saw no reason to sign up for an account.

My post said "present or former." As of my post on April 22nd, there were four cross-listed present or former GC.com caches on the high-quality, sponsored members only site: a webcam, a micro in the bushes that was disabled on GC, a park and grab tupperware that was disabled on GC, and a cache under a highway bridge on a limited access highway that was archived on GC once the true cache location was apparent. I see now this morning that the two disabled caches are now archived... how interesting. This gives the other site exclusive rights to continued logs on the micro in the bushes and the park and grab tupperware. But there's still four "present or former" GC.com caches cross-listed on the other site. Knock yerselves out and have fun with them.

# Distancex

TerraCache Name and Owner Date Posted Phys Mntl

Last Found #Finds Camo

TPS MCE

Event

4/09/05 57.9S AGA Spring Fling 2005 (TCFB) by bamageek 2/24/05 0.2 0

Alabama, United States 4/12/05 2 0

N/A 4.75

1 47.5S *Ollie Park Cache (TC9D) by bamageek 12/24/04 0.2 0

Alabama, United States 1/22/05 2 0

4 4.315

2 57.7S *Confederate Park Micro #1 (TCPH) by bamageek 4/08/05 0.2 0

Alabama, United States 4/12/05 2 0

1 4.94

3 87.1S *Montgomery Terracache (TCLK) by bamageek 3/13/05 0.3 1

Alabama, United States --/--/-- 0 3

0 4.81

Hmmm, of the four Terracaches listed in Alabama one's an expired event (that was cross-listed), 2 are cross-listed standard geocaches that have been found twice (on Terracaching, they're quite popular on gc.com, where I found both of them last year!) and 1 is two weeks+ old and hasn't been found. In Alabama that pretty much means that it hasn't been looked for. And, all listings are by 1 hider.

By contrast there are 1332 geocaches of every possible description here, and 554 Alabama Geocachers Association members!

I'd have to say that Terracaching is no threat to gc.com!

Just a question. Would it be ok to mention in the discription that I have other caches in the area that are listed on another website (witout mentioning the spacific site)?

Example-I have other caches in this area that are not listed on this site. Please feel free to seek them out if you like this one.

And back to the question at hand.

Id say its alright, its nice to know if theres other caches you can do when you go out somewhere. It should be noted that only members of TC can see TC caches so a link would only serve those members.

Such controversial tones here! :(

I love Geocaching, there are caches ... uhm... well... everywhere. There are so many in my area that I really don't have to go far to find a micro. It will take me months to hit them all.

I joined Terracaching out of curiosity and stayed for the member rating system. The caches are rated by members, and this creates an atmosphere for very difficult and creative caches.

These two systems compliment each other in my opinion.

Dandylaurel

I love Geocaching, there are caches ... uhm... well... everywhere. There are so many in my area that I really don't have to go far to find a micro. It will take me months to hit them all.

I joined Terracaching out of curiosity and stayed for the member rating system. The caches are rated by members, and this creates an atmosphere for very difficult and creative caches.

These two systems compliment each other in my opinion.

Dandylaurel

I concur with DandyLaurel's comments. There are several people in this area that participate in both very happily. One family uses GC for finding caches that they and their kids will enjoy hunting and the kids have a good chance of finding! They use TC occasionally for more-challenging hunts, and also because one of 'em (I'll be discreet!) is a serious chess-player and just likes all those cute little icons on the TC account! TC is different enough to merit a look; it won't be for everybody. Neither is letterboxing... To each their own!

Lots of uses for GPSrs! (OT--one was used recently to track and capture a bank robber!) :unsure: