Feature Request

jimmyreno

For the last 2 weeks I've been trying to figure how to take the pocket queries from here and use them on a PDA. (Handspring)

I get glibe responses that direct me to links where someone incompletly

tells how to run the .gpx thru GSAK, then Plucker Desktop, then....

Why the complexity?

The 3 different Plucker desktop files I downloaded were all corrupt.

At 10mb each on a dialup modem that was a real waste of time.

Why can't the PQ download have an html file that can go directly to my PDA

without endless fiddles?

If it's so easy, why can't your computer do it?

You produce an ebook file that no one seems to like.

Why not the elusive PDA file that people want? :D:D:D

I can't answer your question (why can't you get PQ's in html format in addition to gpx and ebook formats) but I might be able to help you with a temporary solution.

I have been using GSAK (Geocaching swiss army knife) to deal with my GPX pocket queries. It is really easy and you can export into HTML (among other options).

Just get the GPX file, open it with GSAK, and export to HTML.

Sorry I can't answer your original question, but I hope this helps.

Here is a link to GSAK

I have been using GSAK (Geocaching swiss army knife) to deal with my GPX pocket queries. It is really easy and you can export into HTML (among other options).

I've tried that and the Plucker in my PDA doesn't "see" them.

The hotsync operation say it completed the transfer, but nothing is there.

Some one else said, from GSAK it has to go to Plucker Desktop, but I can't

find a copy that isn't "corrupt"

Sunrise help leads to a web site that says sunrise is a beta that will be discontinued soon and little else................

Photoshop 7 is easier to use than this kludge.

If you don't want to use all of the free tools available to you, you can certainly just have it mailed to you in MobiPocket format.

That's the format everyone but you says is a dog

I don't understand that sentence.

Here's what NightPilot says:

If you want to read the ebook .prc files you receive, you need to download Mobipocket. I don't like it, and

don't know anyone who does, but the Mobi folks seem to be very good marketers, maybe not as good as Microsoft, but good, because almost everything you buy for Palm in ebook format is for Mobipocket.

I bought the Aeronautical Information Manual and the Federal Aviation Regulations, since I need access to them, but just

gave up on it, because Mobipocket is so godawful difficult to use - no hyperlinks, poor search, etc.

I downloaded the same information for free from the FAA's website and converted it all to Plucker, and it's far, far easier to use.

I use the mobipocket files and find them to work just fine.

I've been a PDA user since 2000 (started with a Handspring, currently use a Sony). Have used 3 different ebook readers, as well as Quickword and a host of other programs (database, race timing, etc.). no complaints about Mobipocket.

Use the TOC button to get past all the disclaimer stuff, and you have a list of caches in proximity to the center point of your PQ. Use the Menu/Find feature to search, using any word in the cache title (or use the waypoint if you know it). I've only been running PQs for three months, but find it very useful when I go on trips. I still use the paper for most of my close-in caching, go figure.

If you don't want to use all of the free tools available to you, you can certainly just have it mailed to you in MobiPocket format.

That's the format everyone but you says is a dog

but have YOU tried it?

All you can do is save the file emailed to you and sync it. but simple is what you want right? :D

<snip>

Seems like the problem has more to do with your PDA than with the gpx files or PQ...

I use photoshop too, and this process with GSAK is so simple it hurts.....

Just open GSAK, grab the GPX file...filter out the caches you don't want (or filter in the caches you do want) and click:

FILE--->EXPORT------->HTML

Then you just pick a folder on your hard drive to generate the web pages and images to.

Boom....

It generates all of the .htm files and images associated with them in one handy folder....

Have you tried GSAK yet?

I like Mobipocket for books. It was ok for caches. It let you take notes. I'm not sure if Cachemate does or not.

Cachemate should read GPX files directly. Though I swear that everyone who uses palms has a lot more ways to make it hard on themselves with all that spinning, plucking, exporting HTML and other junk.

In the pocket PC world there are two main applications and for both you just copy the GPX file to your PDA and open it using GPXSonar or GPXview.

Cachemate as I understand it works with GPX directly but you have to pay something like 7 bucks. Everyone says it's worth it.

Edit: The GPX file is easy to use. It's the software...

Edited by Renegade Knight
<snip> Though I swear that everyone who uses palms has a lot more ways to make it hard on themselves with all that spinning, plucking, exporting HTML and other junk.

<snip>

RK, I have to agree totally.

For local caching, I pump the GPX to my GPS and the PRC to the PDA. All straight from the PQ. No spinning, twisting, tweaking, culling, jumping or vaulting.

However I do use GSAK for prepping for road trips.

Sometimes I load the GPX to ExpertGPS and print maps.

I use GPX Spinner (avail in the Resouce section) and Plucker.

I will agree with you ... it is a royal PitA going through that multi-step process.

Would be nice to have something similar to Adobe Reader ... drag GPX files to an application window, it converts into some sort of PDB file and sets it up to be transferred at the next HotSync.

[

Seems like the problem has more to do with your PDA than with the gpx files or PQ...

Just open GSAK, grab the GPX file...filter out the caches you don't want (or filter in the caches you do want) and click:

FILE--->EXPORT------->HTML

Then you just pick a folder on your hard drive to generate the web pages and images to.

Boom....

It generates all of the .htm files and images associated with them in one handy folder....

Have you tried GSAK yet?

Yes I've tried GSAK, but how do those files get to the PDA?

Is yet another program needed?

I will agree with you ... it is a royal PitA going through that multi-step process.

Would be nice to have something similar to Adobe Reader ... drag GPX files to an application window, it converts into some sort of PDB file and sets it up to be transferred at the next HotSync.

All of you want Cachemate.

The desktop part of Cachemate is Cachemate converter. Put a shortcut to it on your desktop. Then drop the GPX file on the shortcut. It will convert it to a pdb file that will be transfered to the PDA at next hotsynch.

Then on the PDA you open Cachemate and read the GPX file. You have an area for notes, can project waypoints from the current waypoint, find nearest caches, do some simple calculations and bookmark the caches you have completed. The only thing it doesn't do that Plucker does is let you look at the pictures. Not a problem most of the time.

And it takes less time to do this than it took me to type how to do it. :D

I tried Spinner, and get the error message:

""The gpx file you selected does not have the Groundspeak geocaching extentions.

(You can get your own complete gpx files from Geocaching.com pocket queries.)

Load aborted.""

Spinner seems the most obtuse of all the programs, it doesn't even have a help file. If I click on it there is just a 3 second screen display and then it disappears.

All of you want Cachemate.

The desktop part of Cachemate is Cachemate converter. Put a shortcut to it on your desktop. Then drop the GPX file on the shortcut. It will convert it to a pdb file that will be transfered to the PDA at next hotsynch.

Then on the PDA you open Cachemate and read the GPX file. You have an area for notes, can project waypoints from the current waypoint, find nearest caches, do some simple calculations and bookmark the caches you have completed. The only thing it doesn't do that Plucker does is let you look at the pictures. Not a problem most of the time.

And it takes less time to do this than it took me to type how to do it. :D

Major ditto. Though my PalmPilot is unreliable (very old abused hardware) when I go paperless, I use (and paid for) Cachemate. Incredibly easy to use, and for the pittance they ask for it, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I tried Spinner, and get the error message:

""The gpx file you selected does not have the Groundspeak geocaching extentions.

(You can get your own complete gpx files from Geocaching.com pocket queries.)

Load aborted.""

Spinner seems the most obtuse of all the programs, it doesn't even have a help file. If I click on it there is just a 3 second screen display and then it disappears.

The problem you are having is that you are trying to Spin a file that has been saved by Expert/Easy GPS or a LOC file

Spinners help is online and very extensive. Also all the adjustments are either in the spinner.ini file or one of the template files. You will find that most of them that you do are in the .ini file and the directions are commented right in the ini file and also available online.

http://www.gpxspinner.com/help/

You can also e-mail me if you have questions. I am not the programmer but I use it quite regularly

Yes I've tried GSAK, but how do those files get to the PDA?

Again, It seems to me your problem is the transfer of files between your computer and PDA. It doesn't seem related to GPX files or PQ's. I can't tell you how to operate your PDA.... but if you follow the above instructions regarding GSAK, the files are in HTM format and pure GIF images so transferring them wouldn't be any different (I don't think) than how you transfer any other file to your PDA. Then you should just be able to browse that folder.

Good luck, I hope you figure it out!

I have been using PQ for well over a year. I began using GSAK to handle the data for several months now and it is fabulous. I also use Cachmate on my Palm PDA. GSAK talks to my Garmin and my PDA with absolutely no problem. There are two software programs required. GSAK for my PC and Cachmate for my PDA.

Here is my update sequence:

1. Get a pocket query sent to me as a zip file. - Receive it and save the zip attachment to a "Waypoints" folder on my PC

2. Start GSAK and "Load" the zip file into my database (GSAK will handle .gpx or zip files with a gpx enclosed.

3. Filter in GSAK for the caches I want to find.

4. Select file "Export" in Cachmate format and GSAK does it.

5. HotSync my Palm and the data is transferred to my Palm

6. Disable HotSync as it grabs COM1 and won't let go

7. Disconnect my Palm cable from COM1

8. Connect my Garmin Cable to COM1 and my Garmin

9. Select "GPS" in GSAK and "Send Waypoints" and it updates my Garmin on full automatic.

10. I run Cachmate on my Palm while I'm sending stuff to my Garmin and Cachmate takes the HotSync data file and merges the data into the Cachmate database on the Palm. Now, I'm ready to paperless geocache.

This requires only following this sequence to accomodate both my GPS and my Palm. This is about as simple as it gets if you have a Palm. You seem to have a Palm, so if you want it simple this is perhaps the simplest process. Less complicated is had if you get yourself a DELL AXIM X30 (or equivalent) Pocket PC and use GPXSonar on it.

I hope this helps you lose some of the frustration you have. Unfortunately, with a Palm and a PC it is not as simple as it could be but if money is no object get a Pocket PC like the Dell and it will get simpler. Either way you go, GSAK will handle the database on your PC or laptop and will handle transfers to your GPS and PDA.

I hope this helps.

MM

Edit - Spelling and punctuation

Edited by Marietta Moose

I even used cachemate on a palm IIIx for a while with a whopping 4 megs of memory. It wasn't even slow and I stored 1500 caches there at times. (I'm still glad i have a newer palm now, but it wasn't cachemate that demanded the power and memory).