Benchmarks

mikdeni

:lol: Yes! We have em, there called CGSN or Canadian gravity standardization network, stations.

I have located three in my area through this site and I will check them out with my gps.

They should work exactly like a Benchmark.

Thank you tons spud67

One thing about the gravity network BM's is that the coordinates are often scaled off maps not surveyed (check the description of the BM) so you can't check the accuracy of your GPSr against them.

Gravity measurements are accurate however. :huh:

I checked out a couple of these gravitational stations today. One was partially covered with concrete on a sidewalk, but I could still see most of it. The other was supposed to be on the side of a cement block wall, but I could not find that one.

I felt uncomfortable looking for them with so many "muggles" nearby. I read in one of the forums to try wearing a reflective vest and carry a clip board and you are pretty much invisible.

Not quite as fun as I had anticipated. Will check out the one from "hard oiler" though.

I felt uncomfortable looking for them with so many "muggles" nearby. I read in one of the forums to try wearing a reflective vest and carry a clip board and you are pretty much invisible.

I guess when you really think about it, there is no valid reason to worry about Muggles when hunting benchmarks. There is no cache container to inadvertantly expose so no worries of plundering or stealing. Also if anyone is curious enough to ask you what you are doing it's a perfect opportunity to explain the hobby. Also if you researched the BM ahead of time you can impress them with your knowledge of it's history.

Cheers, Olar