Are Spoiler Photos Ok?

Not really. I'd send an email to the cacher asking them to remove the photos as they give away the hiding location or the container... or whatever it is.

Most likely they'll comply, but if they don't, you always have the option to delete the entire log, which will remove the pictures.

Deleting the log should only be done as a last resort, and after you have tried (probably more than once) to contact the cacher.

Jamie

I e-mailed a new cacher who disclosed what the container type was and the area it was hidden. I asked them to remove the info disclosing the what and where with the cache and didn't get a response. After 2 days, I deleted their log and e-mailed them to explain they were welcome to relog since they found it but please don't disclose any info on the cache and / or site.

I don't feel you are overreacting at all. I would delete the log if it were my cache.

It is your right as cache owner to monitor and approve logs and photos.

I've also requested a logger once to remove his photo as it really gave the game away, so to speak.

Just explain nicely the reason behind your request and I doubt if anyone will object to removing the offending photo.

Happy Hunting to all

Good advice all above.

Also, if someone gives you grief about it and quotes "Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links" from the cache page claiming spoilers are allowed, point out that spoilers change the hunt dramatically. Also, when spoilers are posted it takes time for them to be discovered and removed. IMHO, the warning is there only as a precaution against reading those spoilers present until such time they can be removed, nothing more.

Of course, it is up to the individual cache owner to determine if certain information needs to be removed. I've found that many caches get little hints in the logs to help the later finders. Most owners and myself as an owner don't mind these tiny nudges as it adds to the game, IMHO. But beware, some owners do not.

Hope this helps.

Are Spoiler Photos Ok?

Never. The cache owner should immediately delete any and all information that would tend to compromise the cache hunt the cache owner intended. That would include photos, descriptions, and track logs.

Assuming a cache placement had no problems, I see no reason why the goal shouldn't be for the 100th seeker to enjoy the same unspoiled experience as the initial seeker.

I personally don't have a problem with photos that contain spoilers, as long as they are clearly marked as such. You have to click on the link to view the picture anyway, so it's not like it will ruin anything for those people who want to find it without help. Everyone has their own approach to hunting (using the hints or not, etc.), so the photos will only help those who want it. Just my $.02.

I personally don't have a problem with photos that contain spoilers, as long as they are clearly marked as such. You have to click on the link to view the picture anyway, so it's not like it will ruin anything for those people who want to find it without help. Everyone has their own approach to hunting (using the hints or not, etc.), so the photos will only help those who want it. Just my $.02.

Suppose you want to see other pictures in a particular geocache's gallery. You can't do it without seeing the spoilers. I often look at the gallery to see what the area looks like (scenic value) before I go to an area.

I post a warning on my difficult cache, pages. It explictly tells cachers not to post photo or log spoilers. So far, everyone has followed my request on those particular caches.

You make a good point with this one. In my experience though, the thumbnails that show on the gallery page are too small to give any real spoilers.

Perhaps it would be good to have a 'spoiler' image designation that would hide those thumbnails in the gallery view? I know I like to share my photos from hunts, and would be a bit bummed if I couldn't because it might possibly give someone an extra clue . . .

I went to a cache a while ago that was a well-camouflaged, with cammo tape, Altoids tin. Only problem was the location of this dark green and black container.

WonderWhere.jpg

Uh . . . I wonder where the cache is? :rolleyes:

However, I didn't include that picture on the cache page, but I wrote about it in my new Geocaching Blog.

I rather enjoy these "spoilers". Pictures meant for nothing other than pure humor. I labeled this Picture "Spoiler of a sort, but it is so cleverly taken as to make it not so" Obviously, I'm in the middle of nowhere in the woods and the picture gives NO info whatsoever. I'm sure many people still check it anyway. I can almost hear the smirks. JBF of Team Singchihuahua

17f531db-709d-4a0a-a38a-f3833ed56204.jpg

Or theres this one where I say, "If you see this you are VEEEERRRRY close to the cache." Of course you are also very vlose to a tree but good luck finding it.

4043cd89-f604-4ebc-a6f6-bfa0b6a486b2.jpg