No Pq Again ===

CompuCash

no pq since - 3/31/2005 7:14:32 PM

copied and pasted from the pg page

this is getting to be a constant weekend thing and

getting annoying -

have to go open two web pages and copy the daily one to a new one I can run immediately.

Come on Jeremy - we gotta fix this PQ problem - it has been going on way too long now.

When's the last time that PQ ran? PQs are run in order of the last time they ran. I suspect a lot of people have PQs set to go on the weekends and if a boatload were in the queue before yours it might be awhile before yours runs.

Have you tried making a new run-once query? Those seem to arrive faster for me.

The Cheeseheads

When's the last time that PQ ran?

read the OP

The Cheeseheads

PQs are run in order of the last time they ran. I suspect a lot of people have PQs set to go on the weekends and if a boatload were in the queue before yours it might be awhile before yours runs.

I realize that - I used to get one every morning - now they are later in the day and I don't get them on Thrus, Fri, Sat. (see other posted linsting of my posts).

The Cheeseheads

Read the OP

Edited by CompuCash
The Cheeseheads

When's the last time that PQ ran?

read the OP

The Cheeseheads

PQs are run in order of the last time they ran. I suspect a lot of people have PQs set to go on the weekends and if a boatload were in the queue before yours it might be awhile before yours runs.

I realize that - I used to get one every morning - now they are later in the day and I don't get them on Thrus, Fri, Sat. (see other posted linsting of my posts).

The Cheeseheads

Read the OP

Pocket queries that are set to run daily have the lowest priority. Do you really one every day?

I set mine up to run on Saturday every week, since I have Sunday through Wednesday off. I get enough caches in the two weekly queries to last for those 4 days. If a new cache happens to come up in my area, I'll just get it on next week's PQ.

Sax -

It is not the ones during the week that are the problem - I go caching on Sat and Sun mornings and Like to have the latest info.

If I don't get the PQ between Wed. and Sat night, then I don't get much help there for getting current cache data do I?

Do you really one every day?

Do I [need] a PQ every day? No probably not. But I guess I can say I'm lucky that I do because if I relied on trying to get one on Friday then I'd be a** out wouldn't I? AT least this way I am assured of getting something before I go out.

Of course I can do a single shot PQ (to run immediately) which I had to do this morning, but then if that is the case what is the point of even having schedualing on PQ's at all then?

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

The other point to make here is that as part of your membership you are susposed to be able to get 5 PQs a day. If that is not happening then you are not getting what you pay for. It should not matter if you want to get the same 5 everyday or create a new one. You should still get your 5 a day if that is what you want.

If you mainly go caching on the weekends, why not set up your PQ to run only on Fridays Saturdays and Sundays? That will give it a higher queue priority than a query set to run every day.

Periodically I review my pocket queries and I delete the day(s) where I'm never or rarely using the file results. I save a few bytes of server stress, and my query gets a slightly higher priority.

Sax -

It is not the ones during the week that are the problem - I go caching on Sat and Sun mornings and Like to have the latest info.

If I don't get the PQ between Wed. and Sat night, then I don't get much help there for getting current cache data do I?

Do you really one every day?

Do I [need] a PQ every day? No probably not. But I guess I can say I'm lucky that I do because if I relied on trying to get one on Friday then I'd be a** out wouldn't I? AT least this way I am assured of getting something before I go out.

Of course I can do a single shot PQ (to run immediately) which I had to do this morning, but then if that is the case what is the point of even having schedualing on PQ's at all then?

cc\

That's not the point. Read The Leprechauns' post, he knew what I meant. If you don't need to run your PQ on Mon, Tues, Wed, or Thurs, then uncheck those boxes. It will move your PQ higher on the priority list than if you have 7 days a week selected.

The other point to make here is that as part of your membership you are susposed to be able to get 5 PQs a day. If that is not happening then you are not getting what you pay for. It should not matter if you want to get the same 5 everyday or create a new one. You should still get your 5 a day if that is what you want.

all I am asking for is ONE PQ per day and it is not even 500 caches - only 300. So at 2500 caches per day allowed I am only requesting 12% of allowed caches. Now THAT ain't asking much.

cc\

While the other folks' suggestions are certainly valid ones, I have two that run every day and I haven't missed any of them. Mine came today at 4:30 pm.

I usually don't do this, but there has been a recent rash of new caches popping up in my immediate area, so I'm trying to stay current. When things slow down, I'll reduce delivery accordingly.

Edited by gnbrotz

While not an elegant solution, what about having one set to run Mon-Thur, then have three additional (duplicates) set up to run on Fri, Sat and Sun, each as a stand-alone query? Since each of these is only scheduled for once a week it should receive higher priority.

Edited by gnbrotz

Along the same lines as the suggestion by gnbrotz, I would suggest setting it up as follows. Set up your current PQ to run only Saturdays and Tuesdays; Make a duplicate of the exact same PQ specs, but run that Sundays and Wednesdays; Make yet another duplicate and set it to run Fridays and Mondays; You'll need just one more PQ for the leftover day. Adjust this schedule so that the PQ that needs to get to you the earliest, is the on that runs only once per week. Heck if that is not early enough, duplicate your PQ 7 times and let each one run on a different day of the week.

This should work for you because you only have one PQ that you want to run.

I unscheduled almost all my PQs, and went with the multiple copies method (and leaving them unscheduled and manually attempting to trigger them using the oldest one).

But previously run queries seem to be taking a very long time to be handled: I went and triggered one which last run eight hours shy of a full week ago - still not run after a few minutes. Creating a new copy runs immediately.

It looks like the best strategy is getting to be more towards using the new query feature for anything you are expecting to be able to control and not just re-using previously used queries (no matter how old) at all.

Well, I set up a new pq saturday for Sunday caching. Havent got Saturday or Sunday's yet. Also haven't recieved my normal weekend PQs. I WAS getting them late in the day (10pm) so I just moved everything back a day (run my Sat PQ on Fri, etc) but I've got nothing since Weds. <_<

EDIT: They are running, according to the PQ page, just not getting mailed?

EDIT2: Color me stupid. I'm pretty sure it's on my end. Looks like the disk on my mail server is almost full. There is enough room for normal emails, but any PQ attachments would go over the free space. Dumbass!

Edited by Mopar

I copied my daily PQ - called it One Shot. It is set to run only one day. Then on the weekends when I don't get that one I run it.

What I do is change the day that is checked - then go to the bottom and submit it again. Comes in just a few minutes - usually, last night it took a while but it was better than waiting for the uncertainty of the Daily PQ.

So I have gotten around it. And in answer to you who jumped on me last week for putting up another complaint - don't sweat it - I won't complain about it any more. I'll just make yours run more slowly because I have to put in a special one.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
What I do is change the day that is checked - then go to the bottom and submit it again. Comes in just a few minutes - usually, last night it took a while but it was better than waiting for the uncertainty of the Daily PQ.

That's what I started doing, but re-triggering a PQ last sent a week ago was still two hours slower than creating a new one which had never run (I believe they are processed separately according to other posts here - never run queries have highest priority, then scheduled queries in order of last run).

Not sure if I would have had better luck re-triggering a PQ run more than a week ago.