Merging Waypoint Files (*.loc, *.gpx)

GeoLobo

I dont do pocket queries. I like to pick and choose the caches and then check them and download the waypoints. I end up with a number of files. To expedite this so its easier to load into my GPS software/unit, I wrote a little utility to merge all the files.

If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

As of now, it only does *.loc files, but I am working on a version which will do *.gpx as well.

sholmes

hmmm, i tried to do that with ExpertGPS, and can't. Do you recall how you combined all the files into one.

Also, GPSBabel is for converting one format into another. My app takes a folder of *.loc files and merges them into one.

thanks for the reply

sholmes

Also, GPSBabel is for converting one format into another. My app takes a folder of *.loc files and merges them into one.

More generically, GPSBabel reads one more more files of one or more type and writes one more more files of one or more type that may be the same or different types.

It works just fine for merging files of the same or different type. (Admittedly, if you're looking for a graphical waypoint editor, this is the wrong tool.)

From the doc:

So you could merge three input files into one output file with:

gpsbabel -i geo -f 1.loc -f 2.loc -f 3.loc -o geo -F big.loc

You can merge files of different types:

gpsbabel  -i geo -f 1.loc -i gpx -f 2.gpx -i pcx 3.pcx -o gpsutil -F big.gps

You can write the same data in different output formats:

gpsbabel -i geo -f 1.loc -o gpx -F 1.gpx -o pcx 1.wpt

There are at least two ways to combine files in Easy/ExpertGPS.

1. Open multiple files. Tile the windows (Windows menu). Drag and drop waypoints from one window to another.

2. Open multiple files. Select one or more waypoints in one file. Choose Edit>>Copy. Switch to another file. Edit>>Paste.

GPSBabel can also do this. Set the input type as LOC or GPX as appropriate. Specify multiple input files. Set the output type as the same type. Specify *one* output file. This must be done using the command line. The GUI does not support multiple input files.

I'll have to look at the ExpertGPS app and try it out.

As for GPSBabel, if im going to command line it, then its just as many steps as loading each loc file into my mapping app.

My merging tool works great & its fast. It also has a front end. It does not use gpsBabel in the back end as many other tools do.

sholmes

The DOS copy command can be used to concatenate LOC files and all tools I use can read the resulting file.

D:\Downloads>dir g?.loc
Volume in drive D is DATA
Volume Serial Number is 60C0-2B06

Directory of D:\Downloads

03/16/2005  07:29p               5,523 g1.loc
03/16/2005  06:55p               5,382 g2.loc
03/16/2005  06:56p               5,343 g3.loc
03/16/2005  06:57p               5,390 g4.loc
03/16/2005  06:57p               5,294 g5.loc
03/16/2005  06:58p               5,345 g6.loc
03/16/2005  06:59p               5,398 g7.loc
03/16/2005  06:59p               5,132 g8.loc
03/16/2005  07:00p               5,435 g9.loc
03/16/2005  07:00p               5,479 ga.loc
             10 File(s)         53,721 bytes
              0 Dir(s)  25,196,768,768 bytes free

D:\Downloads>copy g?.loc caches.loc
g1.loc
g2.loc
g3.loc
g4.loc
g5.loc
g6.loc
g7.loc
g8.loc
g9.loc
ga.loc
       1 file(s) copied.

D:\Downloads>

That is basically what I do, and I use the feature in GSAK that allows you to change the name of the waypoint, so I can tell at a glance whether it is a Multi or a Virtual, or a Regular-sized container, or a Micro, etc..

That way, I have all the waypoints in my GPSr, but I can decide by looking at the waypoint name whether I want to do that type cache at that time. For instance, the other evening, it was getting late and I could see that the "nearest" waypoints were "Multis." I didn't even have to get out my Palmie to get that info. :D

Works for me! :ph34r: I think GSAK is an absolutely brilliant program!