Detailed Maps Of France

I'll take a stab at this:

Looking at the name, I'd say this user has a GPSMAP 60CS. The only maps that'll work in a Garmin GPSr are Garmin maps. If you want to take advantage of your unit's ability to autoroute, City Select Europe would be the best choice, but it's VERY expensive. If you want detailed street maps, but want to save some money, MetroGuide Europe is cheaper, but it won't do autorouting on the GPSr.

BFM doesn't say that he wants to upload maps to his GPS, but to plot onto detailed maps of France.

Now whilst City Select and Metroguide are excellent when it comes to roads, they're next to useless for skiing. The better option is the French national mapping agency, IGN, as noted above (or in my case, the Swiss equivalent).

Yeah, BFM doesn't say a lot.

Anyway, he wants to plot "TRIPS". How do you get from the airport to the ski slopes? I suppose you could go cross-country skiing, but I'm guessing BFM won't do that. :)

I'm guessing he'll probably travel by car. And I'm also guessing that "electronically" means he wants to upload 'em into his GPSr.

Whoops! I apparently made the mistake of not being detailed enough in my request. My apologies.

Yes, I do own a GPSMAP 60CS. I already have the maps to go with this, from Mapsource. They're good for the GPS receiver, but they are very crude maps if you look at them on a PC.

What I want to do is plot my skiing trip (yes, the act of zooming off the slopes itself) onto a nice detailed map of the Alps. In the Netherlands, we have 1:25000 scaled terrain maps for such a purpose, so I'm wondering whether a similar thing exists for France.

I'll try with the IGN first.

Thanks for the replies!

I received the following PM from a moderator named HEMLOCK

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1396770

This post promotes software piracy which is illegal and will not be tolerated on the Groundspeak forums. Any further posts of this type will be deleted and future posts by you will be moderated.

Hemlock

Forum Moderator

--------------------

Hemlock

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Northern California

Hemlock jumped to conclusions and acted like a dictator. Instead of asking me if my copies of Mapsource France were pirated or Store bought copies he assumed they were pirated.

It appears that anyone with a keyboard can be a moderator. Below is a message that I sent to Hemlock as a reply.I wil alos contact Jeremy and a link to this thread so he is also aware of it. I am sure Jeremy doesnt want to hear it but maybe he needs to do a training session for inexperience moderators .

For your information. The 2 copies of Garmin Mapsource France are legitimate store bought copies and It is NOT illegal to send them to another person if they agree to the enclosed license. SO before you jump down someones throat in the future maybe you could have the decency to ask them what it is they have and if it is a store bought copy or a pirated copy.

THESE ARE 2 STORE BOUGHT COPIES IN ORIGINAL PACKAGING.

If I were to sell a GPS on the forums would I be accused of selling a broken one or a stolen one because Hemlock uses assumptions?

Hemlock....Next time just ask before the threats fly off your tongue

Edited by Kermode

Furthermore....................

I sent a message to Jermey for him to look at this posting.

Unless the person posting in a forum says or spells out that the software is a copywright infringed, pirated or an otherwise illegal copy , they have no right to say anything without proof. They can say for people not to sell , barter or trade software here but it is not their job to decide what is legal and what is illegal without seeing the item.

Newspapers across North America also say that their classified advertising section can not be used for any illegal activity. That covers their butt. That is the extent of their obligation. If they see and add that says "Hot Car" for sale call 555 1234 they can not phone the customer up and say that he may be banned from ever placing an ad in the paper again because he is trying to sell a "Hot Car" in their newspaper. Maybe the car is hot because it is fast,rare,tricked up, or is for sale in a desert. The paper can not assumethat it is stolen.

The same goes for moderators on this site. Unless they have proof that software is illegal or a GPS that John Doe has for sale is stolen the site has no legal right to ban someone from posting on the site.

This site has filled it's legal obligation by informing the public that illegal activity is not allowed on this site.

In the future I will post that any software I have is legal.

Comments?

I will also point out that no where in the above posting does it say that I will be selling the Metroguide France.

It says if you want a copy say the word.

How does a moderator interpret that as meaning I am SELLING an ILLEGAL software?

Edited by Kermode

I'm not sure at this point who you are talking to, but when I read your messages, it sounds pretty clear that you are offering to send someone a pirated copy of the file.

If that's not what you meant, perhaps a slight rewording would have been appropriate.

This quote from your post:

Unless they have proof that software is illegal or a GPS that John Doe has for sale is stolen the site has no legal right to ban someone from posting on the site.

is incorrect. They don't need a legal right to ban anyone. This is a private forum. I believe Hemlock was simply steering you to use clearer language.

Jamie

I received the following PM from a moderator named HEMLOCK

You know, this could have been easily been cleared up by sending a PM back to the moderator explaining that the software you were offering was original software and not illegal copies.

Your original posts would have made me assume that they weren't legal copies, so I can see why Hemlock came to the same conclusion. It looks like he was just doing his 'job', for which he volunteers to do.

I think it's great that you are offering to share extra software you have, so don't let a misunderstanding keep you from helping a fellow geocacher out.

--Marky :unsure: