Has This Ever Happened To You

bikamper

Hi All,

I received a Garmin etrex legend for my most recent b'day(the last one before 50) and yesterday, Easter, seem like a good day to try my hand at geocaching. I got the coords for one near my place and went hunting. This was a coin cache and I had a nice South African 5 Rand coin to place in it.

Well, when I was within 100yds of the cache, I checked in my pocket and realized I left the coin in my truck. :) So, hoof back about a mile to my truck, get the coin, hoof a mile back to where I was when I didn't have the coin.

I could not have been more than a minute from locating the cache when my other half calls me on my cellphone and tells me to 'shag my butt back home, we have to go to her mothers for Easter dinner'. :rolleyes:

Got alot of exercise, didn't find the cache but there is next weekend. :P

Bikamper

My son and I had to pack up due to waining daylight this weekend. We had placed a cache and found two others. We were at the coords for a third, but could not find the elusive container. It was in an old building foundation. It is probably an easy find in the summer, but drifting snow made it darn near impossible without a metal detector (which we have used in the past) or a snow shovel! Oh, well. The snow will be gone soon! :rolleyes:

Hey Bikamper - I've had the experience like you where you get all the way to the cache and realize that what you brought to trade was left in the car!!

My boyfriend and I had this happen during one of our first cache finds. We had a baggie of trinkets to trade, but had left them in the car about a mile away. So, instead of going all the way back and forth again, we just traded what we did have on us - a $10 bill!

The next cacher probably got a nice surprise, and that cache find was more expensive than most, but I always take something from a cache with items to trade, and I would never take something without leaving something in return!

I finally solved A Treasure Hard to Attain. I went to the cache site, intending to place a TB. After searching under innumerable bushes, I found the cache. I also found I had left the TB in my truck. Back through the brush and up the hill I go. I grab the TB and make my way back to the cache site...where I have to look under all the bushes (again) to find the container (again)! Anyway, it still beat not caching. :rolleyes:

I am always leaving my Geocaching backpack in the van. I don't know why I keep forgetting it. I thought of a different story that is sort of kind of similar...okay maybe not but I am telling it anyway...

There is a cache, Ice Box, located up the Icicle Canyon outside of Leavenworth, WA that had a Canadian Geocoin in it that I wanted bad. So I head off to retrieve it...only to find snow and lots of it. The road was closed 4 miles out so I came back the next day and the sign had been moved to 2.5 miles from the cache. Well I wanted it so I headed off only to find deeper snow the last .7 miles. Here I was by myself (not a good idea), in knee deep snow, way out in the middle of no-where where nobody knows where I am (really bad idea). I turn around and hike back out. I return two weeks later to finally find the cache and retrieve my prize. :rolleyes:

We went caching for microcaches in Bruges, Belgium. We found the cache, but forgot a pen to sign the logbook.

Since the cannister hung on a fishneedle, we used this to make some holes in the logbook and a picture as a proof to our visit.

You can see the picture here.

Even worse, we forgot the pen again the same day at another cache...

Hi All,

I received a Garmin etrex legend for my most recent b'day(the last one before 50) and yesterday, Easter, seem like a good day to try my hand at geocaching. I got the coords for one near my place and went hunting. This was a coin cache and I had a nice South African 5 Rand coin to place in it.

Well, when I was within 100yds of the cache, I checked in my pocket and realized I left the coin in my truck. ;) So, hoof back about a mile to my truck, get the coin, hoof a mile back to where I was when I didn't have the coin.

I could not have been more than a minute from locating the cache when my other half calls me on my cellphone and tells me to 'shag my butt back home, we have to go to her mothers for Easter dinner'. :D

Got alot of exercise, didn't find the cache but there is next weekend. :lol:

Bikamper

That's why I don't have a cell phone :lol:

Hi All,

Well, when I was within 100yds of the cache, I checked in my pocket and realized I left the coin in my truck.  ;) So, hoof back about a mile to my truck, get the coin, hoof a mile back to where I was when I didn't have the coin.

I could not have been more than a minute from locating the cache when my other half calls me on my cellphone and tells me to 'shag my butt back home, we have to go to her mothers for Easter dinner'. :D

Got alot of exercise, didn't find the cache but there is next weekend. :lol:

Bikamper

That's why I don't have a cell phone :lol:

Amen. I hate those things.

I don't answer my home phone half the time..

Drove clear to the other end of Oregon to spend a week geocaching, stayed at a B&B, drove truck to central location, spent all day hiking around in the heat doing geocaches the hard way (Maps? We don' need no steekin' maps!). Fairly successful, and after about 12 hours of caching, sun going down, dragged our exhausted not-used-to-this-much-exercise behinds back to the truck... to discover... truck keys inside truck. Ow. Left 15-yr old with truck due to immediate mutiny on his part ("Not another STEP, Mom, just come back and wake me up when you get here!") and had to WALK to B&B, another couple of miles each way, to retrieve spare set of keys.

That was a long four miles.

Hi All,

Well, when I was within 100yds of the cache, I checked in my pocket and realized I left the coin in my truck.  B) So, hoof back about a mile to my truck, get the coin, hoof a mile back to where I was when I didn't have the coin.

I could not have been more than a minute from locating the cache when my other half calls me on my cellphone and tells me to 'shag my butt back home, we have to go to her mothers for Easter dinner'. B)

Got alot of exercise, didn't find the cache but there is next weekend. :P

Bikamper

That's why I don't have a cell phone :P

Amen. I hate those things.

I don't answer my home phone half the time..

I always carry my cell phone.

I also know where the "o.n.-o.f.f." control is and how to us it B)

This morning I wanted to hide a new cache somewhat near another of mine. Menehune Water Source - GCMNPJ. I can see a wild boar trail that goes above the waterfall. I made two attempts up the hillside towards that trail, but just couldn't find an acceptable way. I had the packed ammo box and water in my backpack and my geo-bag on my side. I can see that there's an incredibly beautiful and large valley up there. Wanted to name the cache A Higher, Harder, Hide. Twenty years ago I know I would have made it. Think young and try again? Or...