How do you feel about....

Team MJDJ

...hearing from Cachers who always seem to have complaints about your caches?

One local fellow must be getting tired of hearing from me, but I am finding some mistakes with his caches, either the co-ordinates or the methods.

If it was MY cache, I would like to know if it ISN'T where I claim it to be...how do others feel about this?

Do you WANT to be notified of Cache "mistakes"? Constantly? By the same dude? Again and again?

I'd be wary of commenting about co-ords, as they can be a little off anyway - that all adds to the fun. If you manage to find it, they can't be *that* far off. Obviously if they're a long way off, it's worth mentioning.

As for methods... my first cache was really badly hidden (due to lack of experience) and I appreciated being told that, as it gave me an opportunity to move it before it got plundered.

But if it's just a case of the cache being a little visible, you can always hide it better when you leave it... you never know, it might've been a previous cacher who rehid the cache badly.

Just my ha'penny worth.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

[This message was edited by Kouros on April 02, 2003 at 01:43 AM.]

I like to hear about problems with my caches, so I can address them. But if I keep hearing over and over from the same person,especially if he was a relative newbie with only 11 finds, I'd eventually assume the problem is with him and not my caches.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

I agree that I would want to be told if there is a problem, but be nice when you tell me.

For example: I was the first-finder of a multicache and my GPSr showed the first location as being off by about sixty feet. I noted that in my log so that others wouldn't get discouraged if they couldn't find it. Then in an e-mail to the owner I told him that I may be wrong, wait and see what others have to say about the coordinates. After a few more finders had similar problems, he made some changes. Everything's cool.

In other words, don't assume that you are right and the cache owner is a bonehead. Keep it friendly. Everyone has their own opinion, and if it doesn't match with your's, so what.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

Absolutely, if I have a coordinate that is off or my cache is full of water, etc, I definately want to know about it.

If the complaint is coming from some pain-in- the-a$$ who just likes to hear him/herself talk, just consider the source; saying things like: "hey, your cache wasn't sensative to my needs" or "your cache is offensive to animal lovers" or "I would have liked to see a cache made of hemp", then you know the critical party needs to go. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by OlyHippy on April 02, 2003 at 06:56 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team MJDJ:

Do you WANT to be notified of Cache "mistakes"? Constantly? By the same dude? Again and again?

Well if it was only the "same dude" again and again I would have to consider that dude has a problem operating their gps or not fully understanding the limitations of consumer grade units. What I do is monitor my cache logs and if it looks like there may be a problem then I go on a maintenance visit.

quote:
One local fellow must be getting tired of hearing from me, but I am finding some mistakes with his caches, either the co-ordinates or the methods.

What do you mean by "methods"? Are you actually telling him how he should be hiding a cache? And if so what makes you the expert authority on hiding caches? My methods are simple, I put it where I want it. I actually have a cache that is in plain sight but it is not really noticable unless you are really looking for it.

Just go out and enjoy finding caches. If this one cacher caches are your only problem in life the solution is simple STOP looking for them. In most cases there are many other caches to find. If that is not the case in your area go out and hide a few "perfect" caches.

Just remember. Getting there is half the fun...

i keep hearing from the same two cachers..

they're always the first ones to find, and they've given useful feedback.

sometimes you get a location with bad signal wander and you just don't know how bad until you hear from the regulars.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

It depends. If my coordinates are off 50+ feet, yeah I'd like to hear about it.

Otherwise. No. No. No. No. No.

Put it in your log if you have a beef.

And if your log says it was off 50'...I'm paying attention.

Of course if you have problems and it's by a rock face under tree cover near a sub station...well I'm not going to take your words to heart for what will be obviouse reasons if you are not a GPS neophite.

(Yes I have a cache like this.. or had, it was plundered..but will be reset)

Wherever you go there you are.

New cachers think to seem it's helpful to inform me that a cache is 20ft off from where they're coordinates say it should be.

I rarely get the same mention from anyone over 50 finds or so.

Would I be annoyed? Yes. Learn before you speak. The obvious execeptions would be if there is something significantly wrong, cache container broken, area recently closed, a mountain lion carried off their youngest... Go ahead and give me a heads up. But don't email me to tell me the coords are 36 ft off.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I had a cache that was my latest where I made a mistake in averaging my coords...I always make several runs and average out the location...and I am glad they notify me! Went out that day and discovered where I made the mistake and fixed the page! My GPS wasn't off, it was my calculations! Oh well, I am human!

The other thing is I always figured that as long as they got you close, that was the fun of looking for them! To me , what fun is it if they take you to that exact spot! I enjoy searching and figuring out where they hid it! I guess different strokes for different folks!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

I personally appreciate it if someone can clue me in to problems with my cache. You can let me know in your post, or through email. However, there are those among us that will get bent if you attempt to address it either through email or in your post, so be prepared to take some flack.