Testing The Waters...

Puppers

I get that the picnic was the reason for the Great 48 one, and the caches just happened to be there, but the bike ride was for the sole purpose of getting the caches along the way. Is it because the ride was longer and therefore more 'significant' than the boat event (in length of time)? Or because everyone could bike together, whereas people will have to ride in different boats? Sorry- still not sure I understand. How about the event to go find Mountain Marsh cache? There's no bike ride there- it's a trip to go get some caches. I'm so confused! :P

How about the event to go find Mountain Marsh cache? There's no bike ride there- it's a trip to go get some caches. I'm so confused! :P

The mountain marsh event required finding an eating establishment for dinner. Scheduling this was a pain and not something that would have been done if not for this requirement. As that event showed (we were 30 minutes late for dinner), flexibility in time is required in caching. It's hard to plan when you'll be at a restaurant after a day of caching.

I get that the picnic was the reason for the Great 48 one, and the caches just happened to be there, but the bike ride was for the sole purpose of getting the caches along the way. Is it because the ride was longer and therefore more 'significant' than the boat event (in length of time)? Or because everyone could bike together, whereas people will have to ride in different boats? Sorry- still not sure I understand. How about the event to go find Mountain Marsh cache? There's no bike ride there- it's a trip to go get some caches. I'm so confused!  :P

Actually, quite a few of the people on the Iron Horse ride had already done the caches along the route; either during last years event or at other times. They were "along for the ride" as one might say.

When we did the "Scarry Ladder" event up north, Belltere scheduled hot fudge sundaes on the island for everyone that showed up..... which made it an event. Otherwise it would have just been a bunch of cachers getting together to do a landmark cache.

Lets have a Picnic on the Island or at the Park Afterwards. That should qualify. As long as you have the two weeks notice.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

I've been fielding a lot of questions on this lately so it is clear that there is confusion and a lack of clarity in the guidelines.

I think it helps to think of the reasons that the event guidelines were implemented: there were an increasing number of instances in which events would be posted of the nature of "let's get together and hunt this cache." In many of these instances the only reason was to get two smilies instead of one. Groundspeak decided to nip that pattern in the bud.

Now, an event must have something involved beyond merely hunting for a cache. In other words, there should still be an "event" for someone even if they do not do any caching. For Cache Machines, it is the dinner and associated meals (not to mention the great deal of planning involved); for Ridin' the Iron Horse, it was the bike ride itself (plus the logistics of the shuttling, etc.).

Obviously there will be some subjectivity in determining what will be listed as an event, but as long as the event is open to all and incorporates more than cache hunting, it is usually acceptable.

Thanks, Moun10Bike- that helps! Food seems to be an important factor in getting an event planned, it seems. Hmm- wonder if the Boulder River hike would have qualified since there are Frito Pies involved and not everyone who's going is heading to both caches! :blink:

And I'm still a little confused about the boat one since I'd think going for a big group boat ride would be an event in and of itself like the bike ride, but it's no big deal to me. I just felt sad that someone was planning all this and it was rejected is all. So maybe if food is added it would be an event?

No matter to me whether it's an event or not- I''m looking forward to it!

Thanks Team Misguided and Moun10Bike for your help clarifing this for me! :(

Just change the 'event' portion of it to a lunch/dinner after the boat trips to the island and caching, and you have a better chance of getting it approved...just a thought.

Yeah puppers, try that.

Actually, when we originally floated the idea our vision was an entire day of BBQ, boating and socializing - figuring the lunch activity would keep folks busy while they were (1) waiting for a boat to become available, (2) waiting for their own boat to come back, or (3) for anyone who might just want to show up and watch! (Wienerdog has joked about setting up his lawn chair!). But then there were so many boat pledges that I was afraid the event (or non-event, as the case may be :( ) would be over with quickly and folks wouldn't want to stick around. So we're planning on bringing snacks instead and are looking forward to a good time, however long (or short) it lasts.

Actually, when we originally floated the idea our vision was an entire day of BBQ, boating and socializing - figuring the lunch activity would keep folks busy while they were (1) waiting for a boat to become available, (2) waiting for their own boat to come back, or (3) for anyone who might just want to show up and watch! (Wienerdog has joked about setting up his lawn chair!). But then there were so many boat pledges that I was afraid the event (or non-event, as the case may be :( ) would be over with quickly and folks wouldn't want to stick around. So we're planning on bringing snacks instead and are looking forward to a good time, however long (or short) it lasts.

I'd stick with the original idea...is there a place for BBQ's and such? Since there is still plenty of time, let's do it!!!

Even if there are "lots of boats", it's still going to take time and effort to launch them, do the trip, retrieve them, etc.

Even if people come a little late (because of caching) or leave early (to go caching) it'll still be a great event!!!

I haven't posted to this thread as much as I would like, but as the resident Geocacher that probably lives the closest to the launch ramp, I am all for the mass attack, picnic and so forth. But I will have to leave early to deal with other non-caching functions.

I am pretty sure that there are facilites that we could use to BBQ and such. I haven't used them, but one can see they exist: Mountlake Terrace Parks.

As I have said, I will bring one boat capable of handling 3 or 4, and a canoe, capable of handling 2-3 people. I only have 2 life vests.

And how come an event cache is not up yet? It seems like the best way to organize this thing.

Rob