Searching For Caches

Eye Cacher

:rolleyes: I've seen similar posts, but never seen any one ask about adding a field for searching by town name. Often I don't know the zip, or the zip covers too much area to narrow the search. It would be a nice feature, and would avoid having to go to USPS.gov to find the zip!
From the front page just select the state then on the next page will be a 'drop down' box with of the larger cities within that state. Happy geocaching!

Only a few of the larger cities are listed, zip codes and other options are much more useful, most of the time. :D

I'm not sure this would help in some cases.

For instance, if you don't know the zip code and you search by city for somewhere like Nashville, you get thousands of caches. If you look up 37214, on the other hand, the search is centered where you want it to be.

However, if you are looking for a cache somewhere that isn't a big city, it'd be okay. It would also help if the town is a place that doesn't have it's own zip - although most places that small don't have many (or any) caches. Level Cross, NC comes to mind as having none. Ivy Bluff, TN would bring up one cache within ten miles.

For a zip code search, go to the us postal service's website - it's linked on the search page for gc.

From the front page just select the state then on the next page will be a 'drop down' box with of the larger cities within that state. Happy geocaching!

Only a few of the larger cities are listed, zip codes and other options are much more useful, most of the time. :blink:

Really? It seems like all the cities that meet the criteria (Cities with populations over 20,000 are shown) show up for me. 20,000 seems like a pretty small town to me. :unsure:

--Marky

Only a few of the larger cities are listed, zip codes and other options are much more useful, most of the time. :)

Really? It seems like all the cities that meet the criteria (Cities with populations over 20,000 are shown) show up for me. 20,000 seems like a pretty small town to me. :)

--Marky

:) Try coming to Nevada, 5th largest state in area, only 6 cities over

20,000. Probably a 1000 under 20,000

Hey Marky,

My offer still stands - you have our address if you ever want to visit the small towns :blink:

JimmyReno and I have been trading emails but haven't connected yet. Hope to in about two weeks when I get back from the road trip. See that SAP outbid Oracle this morning.

It seems like all the cities that meet the criteria (Cities with populations over 20,000 are shown) show up for me. 20,000 seems like a pretty small town to me. :)

--Marky

I grew up in Wyoming and have done much of my caching there. Only 3 cities over 20,000 in the whole state. Currently I live in the Nebraska Panhandle. - Zero cities over 20,000. However, Scottsbluff/Gering/Terrytown are all glued together geographically and add up to a tad bit over 22,000 but don't show up on the drop down. The over 20,000 critera is pretty LARGE for many in this area of the country.