Easygps Vs Gsak

GSAK not only lets you upload the name, it lets you decide what the name should look like. You can use a shortened cache name, a name that tacks on terrain and difficulty, or what ever. You can upload by cache name, and then load hider, terrain and difficulty, etc. as a note. Upload to your GPSr, your PDA, you mapping software, or all three. It truly does it all.

EasyGPS and ExpertGPS fans jump in here, but for my money, GSAK is the way to go.

All you need to do with EasyGPS is to edit the cache before you transfer it into your Legend. With the file of caches open in EasyGPS, simply right click on the cache, select edit, then edit the field called "Waypoint" to whatever you want it to read instead of the GC#. Keep in mind you will be limited to the number of spaces your Legend allows for waypoint names. If you still want the GC# somewhere, you can edit the description or comment fields to include it.

First of all you did not say which file type you are downloading. Everyone here is assuming you are using GPX files. If you are downloading LOC files you need to change your queries to GPX, and you should ZIP them just to be safe from virus monitoring problems.

Are you generating queries? :( Or are you checking caches on the search page?

An alternative I used for a long time is Spinner. With the two shortcut icons on your desktop you can drag and drop files onto both programs.

Drag and drop the downloaded GPX file on the Spinner icon. It generates an edited GPX. Now drag and drop the new GPX on your EasyGPS icon and it opens up to send to your GPS.

If you are downloading LOC files you need to change your queries to GPX, and you should ZIP them just to be safe from virus monitoring problems.

Are you generating queries? :(  Or are you checking caches on the search page?

GSAK doesn't care if it's a LOC or GPX (or a zipped vesrion of both) file you load - it'll handle both and generate a waypoint name in just about any way you want (as mentioned above).

Note that there is no need to 'unzip' a zip file - GSAK handles them as they come.

I tend to use GSAK's built in 'Smart Name' facility which ensures all waypoint names are unique and are much more 'descriptive. I usually put the GCxxxx code into the GPSr description field for cross reference.

Edited by Motley Crew
All you need to do with EasyGPS is to edit the cache before you transfer it into your Legend. With the file of caches open in EasyGPS, simply right click on the cache, select edit, then edit the field called "Waypoint" to whatever you want it to read instead of the GC#. Keep in mind you will be limited to the number of spaces your Legend allows for waypoint names. If you still want the GC# somewhere, you can edit the description or comment fields to include it.

Doing this for 500 waypoints would take all day (and I'm sure I'd make tons of mistakes). The way to go is to use GSAK (nominal cost) or spinner (free). Are there any other programs out there that do waypoint name customization?

--Marky

GSAK not only lets you upload the name, it lets you decide what the name should look like.  You can use a shortened cache name, a name that tacks on terrain and difficulty, or what ever.  You can upload by cache name, and then load hider, terrain and difficulty, etc. as a note.  Upload to your GPSr, your PDA, you mapping software, or all three.  It truly does it all.

EasyGPS and ExpertGPS fans jump in here, but for my money, GSAK is the way to go.

Pssssst . . . Could you tell me how to get GSAK to do that? I just edited, by hand, all the caches from a Pocket Query after putting them in EasyGPS. :(

It would have been great to have a program do that instead. What a time saver . . . :(

GSAK doesn't care if it's a LOC or GPX (or a zipped vesrion of both) file you load - it'll handle both and generate a waypoint name in just about any way you want (as mentioned above).

Ok. I just downloaded my first LOC file.(following your response) I didn't know it had the full cache name on it. However that is all it has. The GCxxx waypoint name and the full cache name followed by the hiders name.

Unless a query LOC is different, you would only be able to make a #smart waypoint name, and there would be no waypoint description info.

The reason I became a Premium Member almost immediately after discovering this sport/hobby/game was because the .gpx files have all that info to load into my Palm M500.

The .loc file has very little info. You only see the .gpx files if you pay your $3.00 per month. :(

Now if I could just figure out how to use GSAK to be more efficient than using Cachemate Convert and EasyGPS, I would REALLY be a happy little paperless Geocacher. :(

Pssssst . . . Could you tell me how to get GSAK to do that? I just edited, by hand, all the caches from a Pocket Query after putting them in EasyGPS. :(

It would have been great to have a program do that instead. What a time saver . . . :(

Take a look at this GSAK On-line help which shows the export to GPS screen. Note the "waypoint name" box. Here you can add 'tags' to build the name you desire.

For help on tags here's a link to Special Tags

Ok. I just downloaded my first LOC file.(following your response) I didn't know it had the full cache name on it. However that is all it has. The GCxxx waypoint name and the full cache name followed by the hiders name.

Unless a query LOC is different, you would only be able to make a #smart waypoint name, and there would be no waypoint description info.

Perhaps you are confusing the cache page description with the description field on the GPSr.

To get cache page descriptions for loading into GSAK you need to download GPX files and, to do so, you need to be a premium member.

Even with a LOC file you can generate a smart name and a cache description showing the GCxxxx number plus the difficulty & terrain info (in figures).

Note: The amount of info (number of characters) you can get into the description field of your GPSr is dependant on make & model.

It would have been great to have a program do that instead. What a time saver . . . ;)

Take a look at this GSAK On-line help which shows the export to GPS screen. Note the "waypoint name" box. Here you can add 'tags' to build the name you desire.

I'm trying, but the names it created looked like "Traditio." How do I get TR, followed by the rest of the GC.com site name.

I tried this and it didn't work: :(

%typ%con1%code

It would have been great to have a program do that instead. What a time saver . . . ;)

I'm trying, but the names it created looked like "Traditio." How do I get TR, followed by the rest of the GC.com site name.

I tried this and it didn't work: :(

%typ%con1%code

You are on the right track. Change the %typ to %typ1 and it should return a one character type.

Brian

Perhaps you are confusing the cache page description with the description field on the GPSr.

No.

I didn't mention anything about the cache page description. I was specifically addressing the lack of information on a LOC file, and I mentioned that there is no info available to fill the waypoint description(other than the full cache name).

Even with a LOC file you can generate a smart name and a cache description showing the GCxxxx number plus the difficulty & terrain info (in figures).

There is no cache difficulty or terrain rating. The only info that comes on the LOC file is the full cache name followed by the hiders name.

There is a URL link. If GSAK links to the cache page and gleans info off that while working with the LOC file, than there are other options for renaming your waypoints. However I don't know if that is how it works.

The LOC file I downloaded.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<loc version="1.0" src="Groundspeak">

<waypoint>

<name id="GCMTN5"><![CDATA[MHS 3 -- The Condensery Smokestack by mohai]]></name>

<coord lat="47.8577166666667" lon="-121.965233333333"/>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCMTN5</link>

</waypoint></loc>

Edited by leatherman

No.

I didn't mention anything about the cache page description. I was specifically addressing the lack of information on a LOC file, and I mentioned that there is no info available to fill the waypoint description(other than the full cache name).

There is no cache difficulty or terrain rating. The only info that comes on the LOC file is the full cache name followed by the hiders name.

There is a URL link. If GSAK links to the cache page and gleans info off that while working with the LOC file, than there are other options for renaming your waypoints. However I don't know if that is how it works.

The LOC file I downloaded.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<loc version="1.0" src="Groundspeak">

<waypoint>

<name id="GCMTN5"><![CDATA[MHS 3 -- The Condensery Smokestack by mohai]]></name>

<coord lat="47.8577166666667" lon="-121.965233333333"/>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCMTN5</link>

</waypoint></loc>

I stand corrected on the Ter & Loc info - as I don't use Locs I was going from memory. Sorry for the bum steer.

GPX would seem to be the option you need.

I tried this and it didn't work: ;)

%typ%con1%code

You are on the right track. Change the %typ to %typ1 and it should return a one character type.

Brian

I'm getting closer. I now have the type of cache and type of container, but instead of just the last four characters in the GC.com name, I got the whole name.

i.e., MMGCHYQ5 instead of MMHYQ5

Still trying . . . :(