Cache Preferences

1. Micros & traditionals- depends on time available, i like 'em both

2. Event caches-I went to my first one a few weeks ago, Triangle Geocachers are very cool.

3. Multis- feels good to finish a good multi, but for time reasons I put them off (I think it may be a numbers thing but I'm in denial)

4. Eathcaches-I've only done one but it was very cool

5. Benchmarks-I never seem to have my camera

6. Locationless- okay, but hate to reasearch to see if someone else got it & I never seem to have my camera.

7. Virtuals-Icky, I only do them if I'm away from home and pretty darn close to it. The three closest caches to my house (16 miles or less) are virts, and I've been driving past them for 2 and a half years.

8. Ape caches :lol:

We like any cache type that is interesting in some manner. We like whimsical caches, themed cache series, puzzle caches, scenery caches, camoflauged hard caches. It really doesnt matter. What matters to us are the safety and ickiness of the cache. Some parts of town we will not cache in. And there is no way we are going to a cache that references human feces, homeless camps, drug or sexual paraphenalia or trash dumps. There are some "adventures" Im just not interested in having.

Still, being picky, we have close to 400 finds. We have found plenty of great caches. Those by Panda77 stand out. Certain micros have been quite entertaining for us too. We like variety. We do benchmarks to break up our caching. I miss having virtual and locationless caches though. They added variety to caching.

I love the anticipation of regular caches - what's going to be in it when I find it?

So I tend to shun virtuals and most micros. Heaven save me from nanos.

I hate to admit it, but the first time I went to a lampost cache, I thought it was pretty clever - hidden under the bolt cover. My first hide duplicated it. But then I started reading this forum, and realize that maybe it wasn't so clever after all - or so unique.

Webcams, silly logging rules and such just turn me cold. I might try a puzzle cache if there were any nearby, and I have only done one multi. It was perhaps one of the good ones: a micro container with the coords for the real cache in it.

Frankly, now that I'm a bit older and a bit out of shape, I tend to pass on the more athletic ones. A terrain factor over 2.5 makes me wonder if a McToy is worth a heart attack.

I found one today that had me following a sometimes slick trail across a cliff, and I almost turned back out of prudence.

Thanks for this thread. It opened my eyes a bit. My hides from now on will be a lot more interesting.

We don't look for complicated puzzle & multi caches and often even simple puzzle caches.

We live in a remote area all our geocaching is done while away from home. When we go to a distant city to cache we usually use a PDA download and don't have time to review each page before we go. The last thing I want to do when I get into town is spend time looking for 3 to 7 intermediate sites to pull numbers off plaques to obtain the coordinates to a cache. If someone placed one in my territory then it would be different. It would be one of few on my list that I hadn't been to so I would then invest the time.

Another large part of our caching is done on the road between California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada. Complicated puzzles and multis are definately out.

The ones I want to avoid are those that make me wonder "why the *#(@ did anyone put a cache here?!?!". Absolutely nothing significant about the place, no view, etc. Just because they could I guess.

Unfortantly, doesn't seem to be a way to tell those before hand. Perhaps if the logs said "this cache sucks".

While I'm not a fan of micros, I usually go find them eventually if they are close. For the most part, I'm too impatient to sort out the locationless stuff. Otherwise, I'm happy to find anything unless it's obviously on private property. Like many others on here, I don't have a great desire to explain myself to authorities or angry property owners.

My favorites are well planned multis.

Personally, there's only two types of caches that I go to or seek actively: ones that are conveniently placed on a route I'm travelling or one's that offer me a trip to somewhere unique. Personally I like old sites -- graveyards, tombs, monuments, statues, etc, where unfortunately the only thing that can often be placed is a micro. But the joy of these caches for me is to visit somewhere historic or old.

I recently did a set of caches called the Norry Tourist Caches, all micros, but each one memorable and on the list collectively for my favorite caches. Parts of them included an octagonal school house, the two oldest covered bridges in the United States, a retired coal cart, a monument to a forgotten local baseball hero, and a blue bird garden. Other good ones I did were two by the unimoggers in Stroudsburg -- Colonel Jacob Stroud was here and The Warring Bandshell.

People I know tend to call me a micro hunter, but it's really what's at the cache site that makes it important to me -- not solving a long complicated puzzle or finding ten different well hidden stages of a multi cache. Although some find the joy in that, I don't. I would rather look at something I don't get to see very often.

Each to their own.

- EagleSpirit

I like to be entertained. Show me a cache description that entertains me, and I'll head that way, GPSr in hand. I've found through experience that I'm not very good at finding micros, so I tend to avoid them unless something about the description catches my eye. I enjoy puzzle caches and multis, with the following caveat; I blew out my right knee a few years ago, so extended hikes turn into extended agony for me.

Probably my favorite would be a 1 mile hike thru the woods with an ammo can at the end.

I avoid anything with the words "stealth" or "muggles" in the description. I never understood the allure of having to pretend you're not doing what you're doing. I'm much happier in the woods where I can just concentrate on the cache.

I find it interesting in reading the replies that the things that some people hate are the very things that other people love. That's what's great about caching - there's something out there for you. Just ignore everything else, because somebody else is looking forward to finding the one you're ignoring. I'll ignore the stealthy ones and slog through the woods and swamps while somebody else will sneak through Central Park. To each his or her own.