How long do the caches survive?

lab

I'm new to this & want to know when the caches are removed. I could not find "Capture the Cache" & am wandering if it is still there. It was hidden on 1/2/2002. If it is listed on the website does that mean it lives on?

Well caches will stay there as long as possible unless they need to be removed or someone is mean and decides to destroy them. It no one can find it and it is gone, it should be on the website as an archived cache. If it was in the normal cahce section with all the other caches, but it cannot be found, someone should notify the owner, and if they can't find it then it should be archived.

jhwf4

lab...basically that's the hope. Any cache can go missing if found by noncachers, hungry varmits or inclemet weather (depending on what they're hidden in) If the cache had been removed by the owner the hope is that they would archive the cache, if the cache was found to be in disrepair occasionally it will be inactivated... but if the cache details read clear sailing... no recent logs foretold of natural/unnatural disasters... the cache should logistically be there.... BUT!!! Here's where you get to tell your story... did you find anything? anything that sounded like where it should be? All those kinds of details will help the hider decide if it's time to go back and check the status of their cache... and then we can also hope that the cacher is still caching.

Since this cache was hidden in the winter months it's difficulty level for hiding places is probably underrated right now... with all the folliage out your at a disadvantage... just keep that in mind while hunting. Your best bet would probably be to email the owner. Good Luck

lab--I see from your profile that you don't have any finds yet--try looking for a couple that have one star each for difficulty and terrain, and that also have recent finds in the logs, and you can get an idea from those how caches are hidden. And don't be afraid to post a "Didn't find" log--some people think that it's bad juju to do so, but it does alert the cache hider that their cache is maybe missing, or that their difficulty rating needs to be modified. But I've found caches that have been hidden since early to mid 2001 (a long time in this sport), and they've been fine. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

In theory a cache could stay out there indefinitely. I have over 2 dozen caches and have no plans to pull any of them. I started using ammo boxes about 4 months ago, so I know these caches will last, as long as they aren't stolen.

My oldest cache will be 1 in September.

In your case, either the cache is gone, or ya just couldn't find it. Check the logs to see if others couldn't find it. If there are recent finds, its likely that you just missed it. If there are no recent finds, or a series of "not founds", then it may be missing. Either way, you should be sure to log a Not Found on the website so the owner knows.

It is possible for it to be listed on the website, but missing. Some cache owners unfortunately do not keep up with their caches.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kel

I'd try a few more one star rated caches before you assume that this cache is missing. Based on the logs it sounds like this is a well hidden cache form thr posts of people who have found it. There is a cache in my area that could not be found by three different people and took me two seperate trips to find it.

There is a cache in my area that I've made 3 attempts at and have yet to find it, so I've logged 3 not founds. At first it was rated a 1, but after my 3 unsuccessful attempts and unsuccessful attempts by several other cachers (along with a few successful ones sprinkled around) the owner upped it to a two. I think it probably should be a 3!

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I know some caches stay around forever (at least on our time scale) but I tend to archive most of mine after a while...maybe 6 months or less. It keeps the cache landscape fresh as well as giving some new folks an opportunity to feel more welcome to place a cache in a park.

Not being able to find a cache doesn't mean it's missing. My brother in law has a cache that is litteraly hidden behind a log. If you looked on the other side of the log you would see it. It's in the open. One cache has not been able to find this cache. Who knows why. One here in boise stumped me for over 5 attempts. There were two kinds of logs for that cache. "Found it in 5 min, and skunked". Nothing in the middle. Let a couple of other cachers try if you think it might be missing. When a cache owner gets a few skunks they will ususally check up on the cache. Some caches are hard by design even if they are rated a one or two. For me the 2's are the hardest. Rate it harder and I'll find it every time.

I am new to this and haven't actually gotten out to do any caching yet. I have been reading a bit on it thinking of a few caches that I want to place and some in my area that I want to find. In my reading I have noticed some dramatic differences in the containers that a cache might be in and some explainations for why they might not be found or may be missing. It could be the construction or color of the container. Weather or other flooding, seasons where a cache hidden in the summer might be covered in snow or leaves in the fall or winter or ordinances and laws that don't allow for the placement of caches on certain public lands or private property owners who are unaware of the cache and thus resulting in them being disposed of.

Some, like ammo boxes and some PVC constructions seem as though they might last forever and be easy to find. Others I have noticed though might be a simple box or a film canister or a tupperware or rubbermaid type container. I even noticed one that seemed like an old clear plastic cigar tube. Some of the others might not hold up as well and could deteriorate or be carried off by an animal or may be extremely difficult to see and therefore a bigger challenge to find. The colors that they are painted can be a factor as well. I notice many are cammo or painted black brown or green and thus may blend in very easy. I doubt you will find many that are painted orange or some other brighter colors.

Another possibility that I have read about is that the owner may not have been sure of the rules, laws or ordinances in the area where he/she placed a cache. Some jurisdictions look on GeoCaches as abandoned and thus litter and will remove them if they find them. There is a Forest Preserve District near me that is known to dispose of them. Also since 9/11 some cities, towns or other agencies may not have much tolerance for a strange package tube or box stashed in a city park. Be sure of your hiding place to make sure that it is legal or permissable and maybe inform the owner or caretaker of the property that it is not garbage if they find it. I also had a thought of building my own containers out of PVC and including a clear plexiglass bottom so that if found by a ranger or parks or forest worker they can look inside and see that it is not something ominous or dangerous. Also clearly identify the container as a GeoCache.

As this activity gets more and more popular more of these workers and enforcers and caretakers will become more familiar with what they are and might be more understanding and willing to let them be. I know a few local clubs and organizations are working to inform and educate the forest preserves, county boards or parks commissions about this activity and seek their assitance in making the hiding of maintained and monitored caches permissable. You should probably not simply place a cache and forget about it. That would validate some land owner or government officials opinion that it is litter if so many of these start popping up all over the place. Keep note of where other caches are located and find a new and original location. Spread them out a little. That would even be more enjoyable to the searchers. And, remember to keep track of and maintain your cache.