What's Coming Down The Pike From Garmin?

mgabel

I've been off this site for a few months. Bought a 60CS a while back and really like it, EXCEPT for the memory. Thinking about helping my nephew purchase a new (Garmin) GPS, and I was about to suggest the 76CS to him. But, is there any news of something with even more memory in the wind? [i'd REALLY like to see an SD card.] I was actually surprised when I went to the Garmin site and saw no fancier (ie more memory) version of the 76CS. [Or, at least a way to add maps to the unit without having to have a laptop/computer near by.]

Edited by mgabel

Since Garmin became a publicly traded company there is little to no information on new models other than what Garmin themselves release to the press.

That said I'm still looking for that 276 with CF or SD myself so if you hear of anything please let me know... :D

Is the Meriidan Color any good? Maybe that's the way to go.

I've been using a friends hunting Meridian Color for a few days. He let me borrow it as I was thinking of buying their Platinum version for the 3 axis compass. Love the SD/MMC card as I just saved all his stuff and put my Geocache waypoints in my own file. Have my entire state in the map library and room to spare on a 256mb card.

This is a real nice and accurate unit. When he brought it to me Saturday, I took him out to let him see what Geocaching was and let him find a few cache's I had already found near the house. The Meridian put us within 3 feet of every one of them and even had both WAAS sat's locked in heavy woods.

Last week I had another friend out with me in the same heavy woods when we first found that cache and his Garmin 60CS was not as accurate in the heavy woods (kept jumping around some but it was within 20 feet). I have no idea how he had the Garmin set, but the WAAS Averaging on the Magellan Meridian is pretty much spot on if you stand still for 20-30 seconds to let it do it's job when you get close to a cache.

I'm pretty much sold on a Meridian but would like to see what the upcoming Explorist 600 has in the production version... Accuracy is the way to go, and I know the Meridian has it.

I read on another thread that the reason Garmin doesn't have memory cards in their units is because it will compromise the waterproofness.

Of course some of the Garmin models that do have memory cards (SP III, 26xx) still have the same IPX7 waterproofness rating of their other models. Magellan and Lowrance also have models with memory cards and an IPX7 rating.

anyone will tell you if you want to test 2 gps units you have to test them side by side the same day and same time and same location.

each day the gps depending on the weather and stuff it could change the way the gps performs so take the garmin and Magellan out on a date and sit them together and test then come back with the results

thanks

Edited by RoosterBoy
anyone will tell you if you want to test 2 gps units you have to test them side by side the same day and same time and same location.

Even that doesn't work because one GPS unit can affect the other if you are holding them side by side.

Bought a 60CS a while back and really like it, EXCEPT for the memory

I find that it fits quite a bit. I have Mapsource Topo and City Select loaded on my 60CS for north and central NJ, NYC, Long Island, southeastern NY (to Albany) and parts of Vermont and western NY. I tried Topo alone got all of NJ, Mass, DE, CT, RI, most of NY and half of VT and NH and part of PA and MD on the unit. Unless someone travels frequently and widely the 56 meg is a 60CS is plenty.

Edited by briansnat

Well, 56 is not enough for me. I live in DC and took a trip to Maine and Cape Cod and needed to take a laptop. Also, planning to go to Savannah and managed pretty well, but another 50 megs would have made it easy. Also, for a road trip, one (I) needs more than topo. I just can't figure out why Garmin does not at least modify the USB configuration so that a flash drive could be used.

Also, re waterproofing comments above, surely an SD card could fit inside the batter compartment of the 60CS.

Edited by mgabel