Best Ever Cache

Our first ever cache find was 'Wait until Dark' by Penny&Tigger. We had an amazing time, the whole night time experience was just awesome. I wonder if we have been spoilt and maybe nothing will ever live up to this first cache find. I just wonder if your first cache find is the best or does it improve as you gain more experience? Kan

Any experience you may have can be considered subjective. You may have many more better experiences, or you may not. It all depends on the day, the weather, the adventure and so on. There are so many variables.

Personally, I had my best experience while placing a cache. I placed a cache on Ireland's highest mountain, Carrauntohill. I was in the company of my girlfriend's uncle, who had previously completed a three peaks challenge and had (living in North Wales) been climbing Snowdon every New Years Day since he was 15.

His sense of achievement, having climbed the four peaks, was immense. And that reflected on me, not only in the cache that I placed, but in the emotion I felt in climbing Snowdon with him last year.

Not a whole load to do with geocaching, but as I have said before, I would have never started mountaineering without geocaching. So far, I've done Carrauntohill (Rep. of Ireland/26 counties) Slieve Donard ('Northern Ireland'/6 Counties) and Snowdon (Wales). Hopefully before the end of the year I will be able to complete the challenge in the Lake District at Scarfell Pike and on Ben Nevis in Scotland.

You'll never know, I may even make it to the Isle of Man. But this would have all never happened without geocaching. And that is something I am grateful for, each and every day. :huh:

i am happy that you've had so much fun with that one. but try not to be so negative in your views.

everycache is different. everyday brings something new to see. don't judge one against the other as each has their merits! very deep i know, not new age hippy stuff just practical. if you had a gourmet meal would it mean you never enjoyed any other meal again or would you compare every meal from then on to it? i'd hope not and as regards doing the wildthing horizontal dancing..........

:ph34r:B)B)

carry on enjoying and experiencing life and cacheing. B)

Thanks for the replies, I did not mean to sound negative but I suppose the first time you do anything it is always going to be special. There again so will the 100th or 1000th. The ironic thing is that it was a total accident that I stumbled upon geocaching. I only wanted a GPSr for back up on a long distance path I was planning to hike. It is so bloody addictive, I'm finishing work at 4pm and wondering "Hmmmm I wonder if there is a geocache nearby I can do?" Anyway with a weeks holiday next week, I am sure I will not be bored!! :ph34r: Kan

Edited by Kula Kan

I have to say our introduction to geocaching by my brother-in-law was abit of a let down cache wise - cache was all wet and manky and not much in there - but it felt absolutely faaannnnntaaaaaaaaastic to find something hidden by someone else and the excitement by my children and that includes my hubby was unbelievable - suddenly we are out at the weekends and on the website and this forum and taking the dogs a walk has taken on a whole new dimension. In our case it is the thrill of the search and find, but saying that we have been to some great places just in our area that we never new existed - try not to judge every cache by this first one and judge each one for its different merits :ph34r: I have just managed my first cache on my own in a foreign country and maybe I'm sad, but the sense of achievment I got just finding it on my own was amazing - happy caching B)

Klaus,
You'll never know, I may even make it to the Isle of Man

I guess you anticipated my comment - you haven't done them all until you've been up Snaefell! Let me know if you make plans to get across here.

Still no snow up there, by the way, despite the name...when's winter going to arrive?

HH

I know, I just couldn't leave it out! The concept of no speed limits would be enough to tempt me :ph34r:

Thanks for the kind offer, I'll let you know if I make it over.

The first cache you do will always be special and will always be remembered! I will never forget the feelings I had when I did my first one - the excitement, the anticipation, the thrill of finding it - my heart was beating so fast! The next few were the same - it was just one of the most brilliant things to be out doing! Now it's almost a year since I started geocaching and I am still just as addicted to it, although the feelings have changed. Now geocaching is so much a part of our weekly lives, that it's become routine rather than something special! I still love it as much as I did a year ago, but sometimes I think it would be nice to regain those feelings that I had during the first month or so of geocaching. Having said that, there is something positive to find in every single cache I've done - whether it be the scenery, or the walk, or the achievement of finding a well-hidden cache, or solving a puzzle to get co-ordinates, or ending up with a funny story to tell after aomething negative happens ... the list could go on and on!