Alchemy...

Having just enjoyed a day and a bit on the Alchemy Series (I had to abandon when just a few minutes away from Gold!), I couldn't help wondering if anyone has tried to do the whole series in a day. It seems about the right length to provide a challenge, but eminently feasible.

I know geocaching is not about racing around, but I think it would be a fun day out for someone who enjoys a challenge. I managed 13 out of the 15 in winter on my own in about 10 hours, so I expect a team of two or three wouldn't have to hurry too much to do it all in daylight in spring.

Has it been attempted yet?

HH

Ah yes - I should have read the logs. Actually I only decided on AQ the night before I began it, so I never had chance to read them. The next challenge is to complete it within 12 hours, then - easily possible, and with 11 hours of daylight now (just about) it can be done this weekend! You'll have to visit the site of Zinc, though, despite it being unavailable.

In fact, 10 hours is the real challenge...no breaking of speed limits allowed, though!

HH

I nearly completed Alchemy Quest in a day, but decided after visiting Brass at Badger in the failing light, that I should wait till the morning. There were a couple of reasons for this, one was that I didn't want to miss out on the great and diverse scenery MarcB likes sending people to (no joke, I'm well impressed with his choice of locations :tired: )

The other reason was the "danger". I fell over twice (at the same spot....Doh! ) and if i'd had my PDA/GPS in my hand as I normally do, instead of round my neck, I would have smashed it to smithereens! The other danger was the huge hornets nest at head height, in the root ball of an up-turned tree..........those little blighters do NOT like torches being shone at them!!!!!! :tired:

If I'd started earlier (instead of about 11) and gone in June instead of autumn, I think it should be "easy" to do in a day.

I found the "Road to the Wrekin" much easier to do in a day. The only slightly difficult bit was the "small" hill at the end ;);):tired:

Big thanks (again) to MarcB for setting up two really good cache series :tired:

Seasider,

Yes - the first few logs for Iron are a bit baffling. I paddled in deep mud to the alligator, with no GPS reception, then summoned the Spoiler Sync photo on the PDA. I could just about make out some trees in the tiny photo (very helpful in a wood!), so I sploshed back the way I'd paddled until a likely-looking area appeared above. The scene had actually changed quite a bit anyway, as the crucial tree has collapsed completely, but there was a faint geocacher trail leading uphill (broken twigs, the odd footprint - you know what I mean). So it was quite an easy find in the end. Newbie cachers Griffx3 found the cache just after me and it sounds like they had an easy time too. They were probably helped by my great big footprints and slide marks where I struggled upwards!

Was the original problem identifying the path to the cache zone? Marc has included very good instructions for the approach nowadays.

HH

MarkandLynn,

The Road to the Wrekin series sounds good too! Perhaps I'll return to finish off the missing two AQ caches (Gold and Salt), then have a go at RTTW the same day. I like a little challenge...

If the snow remains heavy in West Yorkshire this will be in two weeks time, otherwise probably next month, as I'm keen to revive my Yorkshire plan (and have a flight to Manchester booked - £47 return!).

Newport area was excellent - though I never saw the town itself, of course.

HH.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I'm still around but stuck at uni (I'm going to the Gravesend virtual at some point) - just over two weeks until I come back!

It is a bit of shame that Zinc has gone missing, I'm still wondering whether to replace it in the same location or to plant a new cache. Also maybe keep an eye out for a short-notice event sometime in late March/early April - it'll just be a straight pub meet in honour of one year of the AQ and not the something else I had planned.

Thanks,

MarcB

Well i could go back and remove my logs which had some "helpful hints" in them. Don't think they were spoilers but certainly made some of the caches possible to do.

I think you'd be hard pressed to do it in 10 hours or even 12 but I don't mind being wrong.

Its certainly a great sense of achievement doing it in a day but you will be knackered.

as long as you don`t fall in the river (bog) at 9am and have to dry your clothes on the roof of the car... :laughing:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Before the log for 'Lead' I didn't know what 'Go Commando' meant :):)

It certainly shortens the time it takes if you've got someone else following you around, doubt we would have done it in under 15 hours if Starfix wasn't behind us!

S