Real Audio Hijacking Of Mapsource Files

GOT GPS?

I like to listen to audio programs on the internet that require the Real Audio Player, but the stupid Real Audio Software keeps hijacking my Mapsource files, and calls them Mpeg files, and turns all my Mapsource(MPG files to Real audio ICons) WHY is THIS?

In past versions of Real Audio would keep doing this garbage, I would fix it, then a minute later the Real Audio Software would suddenly modify all my icons in the Mapsource downloads from GPS, as im watching the screen. I now had the latest Real Audio, but with this mess I removed the Real Audio from my Hard Drive with the Windows Add/Remove Function, but still got the mess with mapsource *.mpg files. I have had this problem with my other computers also, not just this one that is my primary PC.

Need help with how to block the Real Audio problem.

Edited in:

I have a ton of files, and I can't convert them to the new Garmin format.

Also any change I make in Windows, the Real Audio Player always steals back everything it wants, like if i unselect file types to load in Real Player, then select those file types to be used in Windows Media Player, Real Audio Takes them back.

End of multiple edits

Edited by GOT GPS?

The problem is that two application are trying to use the same extension to identify their data files. Just one more reason the Amiga was (and still is) ahead of its time. It didn't care about extentions. It used embedded file ID numbers.

Just remove the association between MPG files and MapSource. The only downside is that you won't be able to start MapSource by double-clicking on a map file. If you open your maps from within MapSource, it shouldn't make any difference.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I've never heard of or used this program, but the member rating is 3.5 out of 5.

Keeping an Eye on Your Associations

QuickAssociation also monitors and controls all of your file associations automatically. In the status column on this tab, you will first see an open lock for each extension. If you click on the lock, it will then change to a closed lock thereby locking the extension. If a file extension is locked, then QuickAssociation will not allow any other program to change this file association.

If this program isn't what you need, there maybe others.

Just search the downloads of some sites like TuCows, CNET, etc.

Search for "file association".

Hope this helps.

Kenneth

I'm going through the steps on my version of Real Player so they might be different on yours.

Launch Real Player and click on Tools / Preferences and in the Preferences window, click on Content / Media Types. The click the Advanced button.

For me, the option that seems to get associated with MPS would be the "MPEG Media" which lists MPS as one of the file types. Un-check that and you *should* be good to go.