Cache

trekmom

I went looking for a very difficult to find cache about a month ago. The cache had a history of diappearing from reading the previous logs. I have been watching it and  there has been no activity since 12/2. What do I do?

If it has a history of disappearing I guess the odd that it’s gone are higher, but I DNF a cache last July that had been found at least every month for 2 years. It was on a trip and I didn’t expect to return so I asked the owner where it was. Turns out I had looked in the exact spot where he said it was. (He assumed it was there and I missed it, but he lived 150 miles away, so he couldn’t know.) I put a watch on it and it wasn’t found again until December. I guess it’s possible the owner replaced it and didn’t tell me even though I had expressed doubt whether it was still there. But, I doubt it given how far away he lives and the fact that the cache name was based on the very unusual container. It might be hard to find another like it.

All this is to say two and a half months isn’t a terrible long time between finds, especially in the winter. Now, if the longest span between finds up to Dec. 2 had been two weeks then it may be missing.

edit typo

Edited by Thot
was on a trip and I didn’t expect to return so I asked the owner where it was. Turns out I had looked in the exact spot where he said it was.

There have been several times where there was a DNF on one of my caches and I discussed the spot with the person who logged the DNF and they insisted they were looking in the exact spot I was describing. One even sent me a photo of the spot (he was right). In every case I went out to check on the cache and it was there. They may have looked in the right spot, but they didn't look hard enough.

There have been several times where there was a DNF on one of my caches and I discussed the spot with the person who logged the DNF and they insisted they were looking in the exact spot I was describing. One even sent me a photo of the spot (he was right). In every case I went out to check on the cache and it was there. They may have looked in the right spot, but they didn't look hard enough.

That happened to me over Christmas. I got an email describing the DNF, but I was on the road and wouldn't be able to check it out for several weeks. I debated disabling the cache, but figured I'd wait and see if it got a second DNF before I did. Nope, it was found several times before I came back and checked it myself.

On the other hand, I have sympathy. DNF'ed a micro once, several people logged it after me, I went back and found it right where I'd looked the first time. I simply couldn't have missed it, so I reckon somebody in the neighborhood was messing with it or something.

was on a trip and I didn’t expect to return so I asked the owner where it was. Turns out I had looked in the exact spot where he said it was.

One even sent me a photo of the spot (he was right). In every case I went out to check on the cache and it was there. They may have looked in the right spot, but they didn't look hard enough.

I realize it's possible it was there. Especially since this was soon after I had started the game. Was yours a micro or a small cache?

In this case the cache was a gallon sized container. And, even though the coordinates were way off, about the only place large enough to hide a gallon container was in this hollow stump, so I looked there quite thoroughly, coming back several times to be sure, as I widened my search area. Don’t forget it had been found every 1-2 weeks on average and never gone more than a month between finds. It hadn’t been found for almost a month before I showed up and wasn’t found for another 5+ months after I was there -- making it 6 months to the next find. During the 5+ months after I was there 2 more DNFs were logged, and there had been none in the 2 years before I was there. It remains a mysteryto me.