Problem With A Cacher

Azaruk

A few of us here in KZN went looking for a cache on two successive weekends.

On the first weekend, two cachers found the container and logged their finds, commenting on the poor container, the fact that there was no log book in the cache, and suggesting that it be worked on.

We went on the following weekend, finding it successfully and having to agree with the comments made by the other finders.

In a nutshell: ........

The container was an empty water bottle.

There was no log book

(The previous visitors had signed their log on the back of the geocaching leaflet in the bottle, adding their comments to it. We added our log)

The article in question definitely looked like rubbish.

It was placed next to delicate and ecologically sensitive dune vegetation which could be irrepairably damaged by cache hunters trampling the area in search of the cache.

We all made comment. Constructively. We all also suggested that the hider in question (who has NO finds) go and find a few caches before placing some.

We had no reply from the cache hider at all, but our logs and notes have been summarily removed from the cache page.

As we all had legitimate finds, I find this behaviour to be unacceptable.

I contacted the approver, who indicated that any cacher has the right to delete logs from his (or her) pages.

I sent another email to the cacher, suggesting that we get together to discuss geacaching in KZN, and to offer any assistance he may want, but have had no reply.

I am NOT a numbers type of cacher, but with so few here in KZN, I would have liked to have an additional logged find against my name.

Any advice? Suggestions?

Edited by Azaruk

Deleting legitimate finds is commonly considered very bad sport. One option would just keep logging the find there after every deletion and see which one gives up first, but I wouldn't like to enter such a childish game. :mad: Hope the hider will reconsider and let the find logs stay. After all, (s)he has hidden the cache there to be found, right?

Somewhere in the guidelines to our sport it is suggested that a new cacher at least find xx number of caches before placing. Since here in SA it is not so easy to find double figures close to home, caches do get placed without experience which inevitably lead to lost / muggled / poorly designed caches.

I myself do not consider my experience vast, but do learn on each hunt something new, which I incorporate into each new placing. I also make a point when introducing new cachers to the sport to stress the guideline mentioned above.

When you have a look at the archived caches, more often than not the "Placers" with high amount of cache ownership and very little finds, also feature with most archived caches..., where as this is not the case with "Finders". Only placing your first cache after at least finding a couple of caches adds to better designed hides and content.

Logs should contain information about the cache and a couple of other elements, also discussed in the guidelines. It is a personal opinion, and critisism contained should be used by cachers and owners alike to better our skills and quality of caches. Refer to the first logs when I placed KZN Metro TB Hotel - these comments and critisisms were used to better the cache, and my experience and pointers for future caches. I have myself have left negative comments for finds, all with positive results in the end - refer to Belfry cache.

Only logs containing personal attacks and / or distasteful comments should be deleted by owners. Owners should stick to guidelines for placing a cache, and cachers should be free to express opinions (without getting personal or distasteful) about a cache / hide / content.

Geocaching is a new and evolving sport and problems like this is inevitable as we learn and progress - too many rules will kill the sport, but by being your brother's keeper and using information to your advantage can only have a positive effect.

I agree with Africard. I have found 11 caches, and to date places four. Only now am I realizing the responsibility of placing caches and I can say for sure that it will be awhile until I place more caches. You see, I realise now that a well thought out cache is worth more than thirty poorly though out caches.

If you read the guidelines and other liturature on Geocaching, it becomes very apparent that a true geocacher respects nature. It sounds like this cache should be archived, since it is (as you say), endangering nature. If it's in a reserve then prehaps park rangers should be called in. Still, it is a shame to have to archive a cache, but I hope all turns out for the best. Keep us posted.

If this cacher removed your consructive comments etc. and do not answer email I think it is your "right" to publish the name here and show us all the "bad apples" in our society!

The aim is to plant responsible caches and also conserve our heratige. Cachers should adhere to this conduct and also except any suggestions etc from more experiance cachers. This is how we will build a good sport and this is how we will get better and better publisity for our sport.

I suggested that the cache be archived.

It has been.

I have sent a couple of emails to the cacher in question regarding his behaviour and the location of his cache. There has been no reply.

Another local cacher has also tried to make contact with no success.

We both suggested that he go and find a few caches before placing.

He has, so far, found none placed two.

One is the one I am concerned about, the other is in a remote spot in Mozambique. Both consist of empty 500mL water bottles with a foil-packed wet-wipe inside along with a spindled piece of paper with the standard geocache info on it. No log book, no pencil, no goodies.

Those of us who found the coastal one had to sign the geocache note for want of a real log book.

Since being archived, I see that the cacher has edited his page to say that he will move it when next he visits the area.

I've also invited him to our event cache next weekend.

If he chooses not to contact me, or elects not to come to the event cache, I'll publish the details to the forum.

Thanks for the interest and the support from all of you. Much appreciated.

Note: The Sunday Tribune article should be published next Sunday 27th. Will keep you informed.

I have a question: how long should one leave a problem cache for? Two weeks ago I went looking for a cache, and didn't find it. That same weekend another group also didn't find it. I e-mailed the cacher and he didn't reply yet. Should I leave it for awhile, post a note or what? The cache placer found one cache and placed one cache. Alot of my e-mails to people seem to get blocked, so maybe he just hasn't got my e-mail.