Banned Member???

e3brown

Since I roam the backroads in Utah, I became interested in a 5/5 cache there. The cache is "Outa Da Park". However, as I was doing my research, I noticed that the owner's status was "banned". Exactly what does this mean? The cache has not been archived. Yet, I don't want to do all the logistical planning to get this cache if it is no longer there. I tried emailing the owner but the email rejected. Any ideas?

It may be woth your time, e3. It looks rich with travel bugs that have been waiting to move on for a year and a half.

Hemlock may have a point about the name of the cacher being a sock puppet, but I would bet that the cache is real. Why go through the trouble of posting bugs into a fake cache?

Reviewing the topo, it doesn't seem to be very severe as far as terrain is concerned. From the road that comes in from the East, the distance is within 1.5 miles. Now the questions are, "Is that road on private property?" and "What are the other alternatives?"

There is a road coming in from the West that has a trailhead (along Ryan Creek).

The trailhead coord are: N38 54.454 W109 12.178. Following the trail it would be better than a 6 mile hike one way (aprox.).

Following that same road around to aproximatly the closest point to the cache, would put you to within 2.6 miles +/- BUT, the terrain is way more intense and probably not advised.

Edited by zoltig

Zoltig,

Say hi to Jessie. I emailed a guy who posted a DNF on this cache about 6 months ago. More about the cache posts later. I had already studied the topo maps and was aware of the jeep trail that is a little over a mile from the cache. The guy I emailed had taken this road from the east and it wasn't a very difficult road. According to my research, there is about a 700 ft gain in the 1.5 mile hike. There is one spot in particular that looks as if the gain is more gradual.

Its all very intriguing and of course that part of Utah is my favorite place in the world. However, there are some things that don't make sense about this cache.

1. First of all, only 2 people have ever logged this site. One was geo$sing and I can't remember who the other one was. Both loggers only logged T.B. s in and out. No one ever logged a find on this one.

2. The guy who took the jeep road to the cache had someone with him. They hiked to the coords and did not find the cache. They posted a "DNF" showing the coords on their GPSr's with a comment that brought into question whether or not a cache was really there. In reply, geo$sing posted caustic note as well as a hint. The hint was "think of Sadamm at the time of his capture". At some point after that, all logs (including the DNF and clue) have been deleted.

3> One of my other hobbies is using a metal detector for relics. I plan to hike into this cache the last half of March with my Treasure Ace 300 on my back. I'll go prepared to spend one evening so I can grid ans search the area. My curosity is such that I have to see if this is real. I have a friend who is coming along to help search. There is room for you and Jessie if you are interested.

I take back my comment saying the cache may not be there. Like TeamTek pointed out, 2 of his other 3 caches within 10.9 miles are being found and logged (the 3rd is very new).

As e3brown pointed out, there were several deleted logs on the cache. I un-deleted them, but be advised the two finds are by another sockpuppet of the hider. Take them with a grain of salt.

Good luck to any who search this cache. If it is there, several travel bugs would like to be set free!

Zoltig,

What is your schedule for mid March - mid April? I have that North Rim thing at the end of April and would like to check out this cache prior to that.

Well let me see. hmmmm! <_<

Outside of work, not much. I was planning a trip to see my son stationed in Texas, but I haven't set a date. So pretty much open at this time.

I have a bunch of vacation time to use up. <_<

Are you thinking over a weekend or during the week?

Z-

I will probably spend 6 or 7 days in Utah wandering the backroads and picking up caches in the back country. If you can take that amount of time, that's good. However, if your time is more limited, we can check out "Outa Da Park" first. Just depends on your schedule.

Part of the timing will depend on MG's visit. However, we could go before that or after. As long as I am back in town by 28 March. That is my wife's spring vacation.

E3