Cache Quality

There is nothing wrong with logging your impressions and thoughts about your experience. There is nothing wrong with saying you didn't like the cache. There is nothing wrong with telling someone why you didn't like the cache.

You could say, "I didn't enjoy this cache, but others might. I like finding traditional caches filled with trinkets when I go hiking in the woods. I was surprised and a little disappointed to find a micro hidden where a traditional could have been easily hidden. The log sheet was wet. Film canisters are notoriously leaky. I did my best to sign it. Thanks."

Or you could say, "Why would you drag me into the woods to find a lousy, leaky micro? This was a total waste of my time." You should put out a regular sized cache instead of this lame micro."

I guess it depends on whether you want to give feedback or blast the owner because you're ticked off.

There is nothing wrong with logging your impressions and thoughts about your experience. There is nothing wrong with saying you didn't like the cache. There is nothing wrong with telling someone why you didn't like the cache.

You could say, "I didn't enjoy this cache, but others might. I like finding traditional caches filled with trinkets when I go hiking in the woods. I was surprised and a little disappointed to find a micro hidden where a traditional could have been easily hidden. The log sheet was wet. Film canisters are notoriously leaky. I did my best to sign it. Thanks."

Or you could say, "Why would you drag me into the woods to find a lousy, leaky micro? This was a total waste of my time." You should put out a regular sized cache instead of this lame micro."

I guess it depends on whether you want to give feedback or blast the owner because you're ticked off.

Your 2 examples are equivalent in feedback value, except the first includes idle speculation and a thanks for nothing. I don't see a 'blast' of the owner in either case - never met the guy...

If you're really concerned about cache quality, get rid of the lousy ones. What purpose is served by this continual whining? A cache exists at the discretion of each and every finder...

This sounds alot like a suggestion to remove any cache that doesn't meet your personal expectations.

It looks to me like people are drifting away from the subject.

As I read it, the question is how to prevent poor quality caches from being placed, not about what the cache is like when you found it.

Ripping someone a new one in a log will more then likely just get you a "deleted" notice.

It would from me anyway.

Word of mouth will do more for getting cachers to place a good cache then anything else.

Yes, I know, there are those cachers out there just after the numbers and will hunt any and all caches no matter what their experince with that cachers hides where like in the past. So be it.

That is them. It is up to the rest of us to hold to a higher standard.

No, I do not mean putting an SBA on a cache just because you did not like it. What I mean is for you to punch the "IGNORE" button and spread the word about your experience with the cacher in question. After a while, if everyone in the area stops hunting those caches, if all they get from out of towners is TNLNSL or something like that, they just might get the idea that there is something wrong with their caches.

If not, are you missing out on anything that you could not live without? Take a chill pill and relax a little. A bad cache is not the end of the world as we know it.

Another nickels worth.

Logscaler.

How do I get rid of the lousy ones? I described that in the first 3 sentences.

No, no vigilante force, just personal responsibility for the world around me.

Whoa... this sure sounds like the Cache Police to me. Since your view, is very subjective, not necessarily the same as my view and since it is my cache. You do not have the right to remove it. Report it, if you wish, log it, if you wish, but you do not have the right to trash it.

I have a problem with people driving down the road and throwing caches out and then listing them. They have placed hundreds, none with any thought. I have only placed 7 and all with a lot of work and thought.

Remove one of mine and I would be pissed.

It is not the approvers place to rule on the quality of a cache. Maybe he is three states away. How could he possibly make an informed decision. Dont like my cache ? then log and dont hunt any more of mine..!

How do I get rid of the lousy ones? I described that in the first 3 sentences.

No, no vigilante force, just personal responsibility for the world around me.

Whoa... this sure sounds like the Cache Police to me. Since your view, is very subjective, not necessarily the same as my view and since it is my cache. You do not have the right to remove it. Report it, if you wish, log it, if you wish, but you do not have the right to trash it.

I have a problem with people driving down the road and throwing caches out and then listing them. They have placed hundreds, none with any thought. I have only placed 7 and all with a lot of work and thought.

Remove one of mine and I would be pissed.

It is not the approvers place to rule on the quality of a cache. Maybe he is three states away. How could he possibly make an informed decision. Dont like my cache ? then log and dont hunt any more of mine..!

Texas, I agree with you! You said it well -- it is not the job of ticked-off finders to remove caches... To each their own, I say.

Sorry, but everyone's view is completely subjective. If your cache is trash and I find it, it's CITOed. If your cache is lame and I find it, it's logged "Found it." If your cache violates the guidelines and I find it, I'll SBA it. Just the way I play. Don't like it? Lump it. I never ask permission to CITO on public property. If you define Cache Police in that manner, I'm pleased to have the title. Police isn't exactly a dirty word, eh?

Sorry, but everyone's view is completely subjective. If your cache is trash and I find it, it's CITOed. If your cache is lame and I find it, it's logged "Found it." If your cache violates the guidelines and I find it, I'll SBA it. Just the way I play. Don't like it? Lump it. I never ask permission to CITO on public property. If you define Cache Police in that manner, I'm pleased to have the title. Police isn't exactly a dirty word, eh?

So, you impose your admittedly subjective values on the owner of "lame caches" and others in the caching community by removing caches which you feel are trashy. I see. Where I come from, that is kind of activity is calle dcache piracy.

As for your comment about "Cache Police"... Actually, if you are aware of the history of the usage of that term in the geocaching world, it is a term that has often been used for cache pirates -- people who steal caches or the contents of caches. So yes, in some circles in the geo world, the term "Cache Police" is not exactly the most revered term.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I have to agree with the intent of your message, maybe not the way it comes across but the intent.

On review of my caching habits, I do the same and I bet a lot more people play this way them realize it or will admit to it.

Sounds elitist but that is the way it is in the real world.

Logscaler.

Your 2 examples are equivalent in feedback value, except the first includes idle speculation and a thanks for nothing. I don't see a 'blast' of the owner in either case - never met the guy...

Hey if you want to log with rude, antagonistic comments like those in my second example that's your prerogative. It's likely to get your log deleted, and turn the owner off to geocaching, but somehow I doubt that you care about any of that. I'm glad I don't live in Hawaii. Aloha.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Well, you've helped prove my point on subjectivity, anyone care to provide an objective viewpoint?

Objectively: the guidelines state "As the cache owner, you are responsible for the placement and care of your cache."

I looked and looked but couldn't find anywhere that said or even suggested that finders should remove caches that they don't, for some reason, approve of.

Subjectively: if I decide that the superior smirk on your face makes you look like trash, can I remove it?

Last weekend was by far the worst caching items I have found. One dirty sock, some paper clips and a lego kit from Mc Donalds. My kids were less than amused. Keeping quality high for caches is good if only for the reason that it doesn't break a little kids heart when they have hiked up a mountain all day to find nothing. <_<

I know I'm a n00b and everything, but dissing a cache in print would be a sure way to reduce the number of cachers. Is that the goal? Why not email someone and offer to work with them? What if it was a child? You'll have tainted their view of the caching community forever. I have problems with people leaving crappy swag but if they thought what they left was amusing or valuable and I don't agree, there is still a chance the problem could be mine, not theirs. I am going to try really hard not to become one of those cache snobs who seems insulted if the challenge doesn't meet their standards.

Then again you could always add a utility that allows users to rate the cache quality, and then be able to sort by rating.

You don't work with people do you?

Last weekend was by far the worst caching items I have found. One dirty sock, some paper clips and a lego kit from Mc Donalds. My kids were less than amused. Keeping quality high for caches is good if only for the reason that it doesn't break a little kids heart when they have hiked up a mountain all day to find nothing. <_<

Oh, I dunno castle... I remember, as a kid, that feeling grateful for not being retarded to the point that I would think my dirty sock is good swag, was enough to give me a happy glow. I suspect kids haven't changed since then.

I am new to the sport and agree with many of the opinions presented here...but as a newbie I also think that part of the introductory materials and remarks shoulod deal with the "trades"- with common respect for one another even kid friendly caches could contain decent items. I visited some beautiful spots and some questionable ones but the trading I've seen ...well it just doesn't make sense ie taking an item and leaving a buisiness card? ( and that was in a fairly remote spot) or a cache that started with 15 tems and was down to 6...We all need to take responsibility for ourselves to improve the general quality of items found... as for locations being lame - thats a personal call...

Anyway the point I think is the introdutory material should talk straight about trading up...leave better than you take.. As a newbie we need your guidance in this matter

maybe i missed it but there wasn't a whole lot on this topic only what not to leave food ect...

It is like the camping adage leave the location better than you found it

Edited by Ducks4friends

Last weekend was by far the worst caching items I have found. One dirty sock, some paper clips and a lego kit from Mc Donalds. My kids were less than amused. Keeping quality high for caches is good if only for the reason that it doesn't break a little kids heart when they have hiked up a mountain all day to find nothing. :o

I have 2 kids that I am trying to keep interested. About every 2 months I hit the dollar store for $20 for my cache Road Closed and take the kids out to do the maintence on it. It is a drive up cache, mainly for kids. They think it is pretty cool to take care of the box. I think most of the logs reflect the efforts.

This last week the kids were on spring break. 2 days of the week we went to more fruitful caching grounds. I picked the caches carefully to try to avoid the turn-offs. We still hit a couple of close micro's to mix it up a bit. I didn't do too bad but ended up taking a hike into the middle of a 10 acre old burn area in the woods to find a micro in prescription bottle under a pile a bark. :bad: My kids were pissed. They aren't treasure hounds and don't trade often, but when we hike into an area we at least want to look at something more than a prescription bottle with a piece of paper in it. Granted the box isn't always the prize but I have a hard time with wilderness micros. Also, my kids have been taught the "trade up or trade even" mantra but I have also told them not to trade for somebody's freakin' gum wrapper or pocket lint.

edit: Added 2 points that were an afterthought

Edited by hikergps

It helps to keep an open mind, too. Broken McToys and AOL cd's might seem like a no-brainer, but then again that may be a person with developmental disabilities or something. I hope that stuff isn't being left by the families driving up in Lincoln Navigators! And then some things that I think are really cool, others might think is garbage. In one cache last week there were pieces of broken pottery (no sharp edges) Some might see that as junk, but others know it's excellent to bring home for stepping stones or mosaics. It really should be stressed that you leave something YOU would enjoy finding. I totally disagree that it's heartbreaking for a child to find trash or lame swag. They can feel empathy for the person who thought that would be good prize. The "heartbreak" and mercenary attitude is projected on them by us parents.

It helps to keep an open mind, too. Broken McToys and AOL cd's might seem like a no-brainer, but then again that may be a person with developmental disabilities or something. I hope that stuff isn't being left by the families driving up in Lincoln Navigators! And then some things that I think are really cool, others might think is garbage. In one cache last week there were pieces of broken pottery (no sharp edges) Some might see that as junk, but others know it's excellent to bring home for stepping stones or mosaics. It really should be stressed that you leave something YOU would enjoy finding. I totally disagree that it's heartbreaking for a child to find trash or lame swag. They can feel empathy for the person who thought that would be good prize. The "heartbreak" and mercenary attitude is projected on them by us parents.

Yes that stuff is being left by a large number of cachers, in my area at least. I keep an open mind when caching and teach my children the same. Like I said, they aren't swag hogs. Based on your theory 50%+ of the cachers who come to my cache and leave the garbage that they leave (paperclips, gum wrappers, a rubber band, McD's receipt, etc) are developmentally disabled. That in now way is a derogitory statement but rather an observation of your theory.

I'm not sure I understand your last point either. Could you explain the "mercenary attitude" that I as a parent am projecting onto my children for trying to teach them that you should be rewarded, either mentally or physically, for hard work and effort?

I am lucky that I live near the caches that I have placed in a very large, urban park (400 acres). As a result, I visit them every week and make sure that there are lots of quality (not necessarily expensive) items for cachers to choose from. My experience has been that when there are nice items in the cache, visitors seem to have more respect and either trade even, way, way up or TNLN. On the other hand, maybe it is just a result of the calibre of cachers in this area (Toronto, Canada.)

Edited by Maxima

I'm not sure I understand your last point either. Could you explain the "mercenary attitude" that I as a parent am projecting onto my children for trying to teach them that you should be rewarded, either mentally or physically, for hard work and effort?

Being rewarded mentally is not mercenary. You said it yourself: your children are not "swag hogs".

Edited by enfanTerrible

Being rewarded mentally is not mercenary. You said it yourself: your children are not "swag hogs".

I get it now, thought I new the def for mercenary until I Googled it. :D