Same Location

TruFinds

OK, let me know if i am just being square about this.......

A while ago, I went out to log a virtual, For the love of the game and realized that someone had logged it earlier last year. The only difference is that when it was first logged, it was called one name, but when I went back to log it, I would have entered it under the new name of the field. Between the 2 log times, the field changed name, and possibly ownership. I did not log it as a find, as the COORDINATES were identical, thinking that it would be a cheap shot to re-log the field. I posted a NOTE, because if we are to log the virtual, I thought you went by coordinates.

Recently, I noticed that someone logged an already logged virtual (not for the love of the game) as a find, but thought they were justified in doing so because the name of the location changed.

Can someone, without flames, please point me in the correct direction.

Am i just being a nitpicker, or was this other person being 'smiley greedy'?

thanks, folks

Edited by TruFinds

You'd be surprised by how many duplicates there are on Locationless caches. If not using the Locationless Proximity program, it can be very time consuming to scan all the logs and /or it can be easily missed when scanning.

If the rules are set up by the owner that only one log per location is allowed, then it's their responsibility to accept or reject them. A lot don't for whatever reason, maybe the same reason as the cacher.

Edited by GeoBrowns

Does it really matter if he is smilie greedy?

I don't care how many smilies they get, I only worry about mine.

I don't get upset if someone doesn't post every DNF either, cause I don't.

I'm here to have fun myself and if I had to post every dnf I got on a cache while others were finding it I wouldn't be happy the owner would be thinking I'm a moron.(sometimes I might be though :D )

That's not a virtual cache, its a locationless (or reverse cache).

Anway, to answer your question, I think you were right for not logging the field after the name was changed. Its still the same place. If someone else wants to be dishonest and add a second log for the site, that's between him, his conscience and the cache owner.

Note: I only feel that way about a second log for a locationless. I think fake logs for locationless caches are entirely different animals and should not be tolerated.

Edited by briansnat

Hey, that's my cache!

It is on my list of things to do to run back through the finds again and contact the few people who have logged dupes. I haven't done it lately, but will soon.

In the most general terms, I feel as the OP does. The first post is the find and the second should change to a note.

Just as a quick second thought, one thing I learned back several years ago when I was teaching some classes at a local community college is that I am willing to bend the rules if there is an interesting story attached to the request. I'm not completely sure how it applies here other than there being reasons why we play this game with guidelines instead of hard and fast rules.

Its really just about the fun.

Hey, that's my cache!

It is on my list of things to do to run back through the finds again and contact the few people who have logged dupes. I haven't done it lately, but will soon.

In the most general terms, I feel as the OP does. The first post is the find and the second should change to a note.

hiya.....

didn't mean to sprout a flame.........really!

I really think it is up to the morals of the cacher. what about the camper's code of ethics, or something like that!

anyways, dows anyone know where to get the Locationless Proximity program?

look at my stats, man, just look at em!!! i'm bleeding to death of dnf's because i don't have the time to log it before someone swipes it out from under me! earlier this week, i was about to go log another locationless/virtual (i always confuse those) - had the camera & gps in tote, got to work & got the email notification that the cache i was after was JUST logged. and to top it off, he was ARROGANT about it ('don't know why anyone in the area hasnt logged it yet - oh well, it's mine now!')

just venting my anger of those smiley snatching, sneaking, no good.......oh ya, and those dangnabit, gawshdarnit double loggers!!!

also, anyone accused of fake logging should have their account YANKED! Those people need to start over with their numbers!

what's the world coming to now, if we cant all just cache along together in harmony?

thanks for the chin-up, folks! the little girl scout needed a pat on the head! (that compensates for the low find/high dnf count!)

-the squirrel plays by the rules, even if it has to duck between car tires!

**still waiting to be a FTF**