Using A Laptop Computer As A Gps

Interested in anyone that has turned a laptop into a large screen GPS. My company has a smoking deal on old used executive's laptops. I was thinking is it possible to turn one of these into a large screen GPS... Some how hook antenna into computer and use software to have computer become a large screen GPS. Have a friend that is visually impaired. This might work for him...

Let me know your successes and failures in such a system.

Thanks!

idahobirdhunter

Edited by idahobirdhunter

i can't think o any software that will give you big compas bearing like ont the gps, but it seems like a great way to get a bigger screen. usually i use the laptop or looking at maps.

The problm s that it can be very tricky to use a laptop / gps combo in real life. It's just too bulky and heavy to carry around with you everywhere.

He might want to try the pocket pc with bluetooth gps combo. That should give you a big (for a gps) size screen, with full transreflective color.

Joe Smith

It's quite simple actually.... Delorme makes a $99 GPS reciever that plugs into a USB port and Voila! There you go!

And how much for the laptops?

If you run Mapsource you will get a large compass dial on the left side of the screen.

I'm currently using an older IBM laptop running windows 98 and tied into my GPS V on a mount in my Jeep for navigation. Works real well using nRoute from Garmin and gives me the advantage of a large color screen and voice prompts.

Edited by Crusso

If you already have a Garmin GPS and some of their MapSource map data (esp. the auto-routing ones), then download their free nRoute program from their website. It turns a laptop into a very nice navigation system. Gives voice indications of upcoming turns and has both wide area and close-up views as you approach turns.

I've used it with both an eMap and a GPS V and using MG-USA (v4) and CitySelect-NA (v6) maps.

It's available here:

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=575

You can't do it with just software - you have to have a receiver of some sort, but there are lots of them available. Any cheap GPS will work, and there are tons of software available that can use the GPS input, everything from a basic position display to mapping software with voice prompts for turns to any address. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

I use Memory-Map and it works just as well on a laptop as it does on a PPC. It will let you navigate on the laptop and even see maps in 3D. If you are taking the laptop out in the field, you might want to look into some protection. I think Aquapac makes waterproof bags for laptops. I use their bags with my PPCs and they work great.

As far as the GPS end, you can hook just about any handheld GPS up to a laptop, or you can use just a receiver. There are PC card receivers out there. Another nice choice is a "mouse" GPS. It is a little dome-style receiver about the size of a half-dollar that has a long cord. Lets you position it for best reception (like on the dash in a car) while keeping the laptop handy.

I bought a Garmin GPS 18 for my son in Alaska. He is a Cargo Captain on a 747-400. He loves to use the GPS 18 and his laptop on those long flights. He will also use it in my little van type RV on vacation. It only cost $120 and that includes City Select V6. Does the same routing as my Garmin iQue 3600. I prefer to use either or both the iQue and my 76C for routing. Dick, W7WT

No use starting a new thread. Let me ask some questions here. I have a Legend with Metroguide and a laptop. Is there a way to use the laptop while driving to see the maps better? With the Legend, I have to zoom in to 800' just to see the smaller roads. I then usually can't see the cache that is still several miles away. Can I hook up to the laptop and get the smaller streets to show up while still seeing the cache?

No use starting a new thread. Let me ask some questions here. I have a Legend with Metroguide and a laptop. Is there a way to use the laptop while driving to see the maps better? With the Legend, I have to zoom in to 800' just to see the smaller roads. I then usually can't see the cache that is still several miles away. Can I hook up to the laptop and get the smaller streets to show up while still seeing the cache?

Yes

The streets on the laptop usully show up at the same zoom level, but the screen of the computer is much bigger.

I forgot about Nroute, good softwate but I never used it out in the real world.

Joe Smith

I have a GPS unit I got off of Ebay for about 45 bucks, USB connection, I can't think of the brand, but it is a little smaller than a computer mouse, comined that with Microsoft's Streets and Trips 2005 and it iworks great. Nice big screen to look at. I actually got it to use for work since I have to get all over the Twin Cities. I put in an address and it draws a big green line for me to follow, easy to see with the quickest of glances.

Then shortly thereafter I got into caching, by using the swiss army knife program I can export Cache locations to Streets and Trips and they appear as pushpins all over the city! I can even customize those, I change them to Green pushpins when I find a cache, a red if I don't find it etc. Then I can see at a glance if I'm in a neighborhood with a cache I have not tried, or one I have not found yet. I still use a Garmin E-trex to hike in. But there are several virtual caches that I haven't had to break out the Garmin for.

I don't use it for caching, but I do sometimes use a DeLorme BlueLogger with my iBook. It's nice because there's no cable between the GPS and the computer. I usually stick the BlueLogger on the visor or rearview mirror with rubber bands, out of sight and out of the way.

To me, the main advantage is being able to look things up on the computer more easily than trying to find POI data in a small handheld GPS -- e.g., it's very easy to find all restaurants or hotels within 10 miles of my current location, when I don't feel like driving anymore :mad:

this is exactly what i'm doing. I have a small laptop and a GPS "Mouse" that plugs into a USB port that I put on the roof of the car.

what software do you guys recommend for geocaching? I've tried "destinator 3" which is excellent for navigating roads and stuff ... but it's not that great for finding long/lat coords (like multicache) ... there's no way to add waypoint from a *.loc file with this program...

I also have MS Streets & Trips 2005 ... i haven't really used this program much, but I'm sure it has the ability to add waypoints from the .loc files available from this website..

can anyone walk me through the basic steps or recommend software for geocaching?

Thanks!

-Matt

Alan2 has a good point. A nice handheld unit will do double-duty for you for one price.

Mattress, I am kinda partial to Memory-Map for my off-road navigation, but Ozi Explorer is very similar. Both allow you to use a wide range of maps. I have used USGS topos for a long time, but now that I can get DOQQs in my state for free, I really like those. Very detailed and easy to follow. Both programs will also let you import waypoints. I know Memory-Map imports LOC and GPX directly. I believe Ozi will too, but if not you can send them to Ozi using GSAK.

Poindexter has a list in the forum somewhere of a number of sites to get state topo maps for free. (This is great if you want a localized area, but if you are all over the state, you may want to look into buying a set. A thousand topo maps takes a LONG time to download!)

In NY state, this is the place to go ... NY State GIS Clearinghouse

Edited by Greymane

We use a Garmin Etrex Legend hooked up to a laptop with Mapsource and nRoute from Garmin. The combination of the portable handheld GPSr and the laptop with maps for travel is great. Voice directions, large screen for maps, auto routing and all the displays on the GPSr on the laptop screen. Once we arrive near the cache we just disconnect the GPSr and away we go. We recently started using GSAK for keeping track of the caches and tranfering the data to and fromthe GPSr. Excellent program and will like it even more once I have become more familiar with it. This combunation has worked very well for us so far.

Spud and SuzyQ