Cache Items

BeerHound

What is the nicest thing you have taken from a cache?

Leatherman tool

What is the worst thing you have seen in a cache?

Of lots of disgusting, gross or just plain useless items it may be the damp pair of filthy, used work gloves with holes in the fingers. A lot of my caches wind up with tampons in them. That's up there too.

What would you consider is the norm as far as cost of an item that you would leave in a cache?

Around $2

Small plush toy in an original plastic bag. I was out with a friend and his young daughter and she just loved it.

Pack of matches, cigarette butts, assorted moldy unidentifiable paper things.

What would you consider is the norm as far as cost of an item that you would leave in a cache?

Around $3.00, maybe a little more if the cache seems a little low and I have a few extra things in my cache bag. That is in addition to my "sig item" gemstone.

Nicest thing? Game Boy, though I didn't take it, nothing to trade up with! The nicest thing i took was probably a compass, just cause I need one at the time!

Worst thing? Wet wad that used to be log book...found in several

Average price of trade item? Depends...If I like a cache alot, upwards of $5-6...If Its not good at all, nothing...Usually though, on just a normal cache, about $1-2.

Edited by Pork King

A brand new weather alert radio, still in the packaging was about the best I've taken. The item I liked the best was a Challenge coin from the 10th Mtn division.

The worst, well, I've seen broken crayons, broken McToys, a half a kitchen sponge and a half eaten candy bar that had bugs on it.

I would say the norm in cost is $1-$2, although if I do take something worth more, I will leave something of equal value.

I spent about $30 to stock my first cache and about another $20 to replenish it, then it got stolen about six months later. I have a theme cache (pigs) that I spent about $35 to stock originally. Unlike the first one, most people have been really good about trading up/even and staying with the theme, too. I haven't had to restock it yet.

Edited by BigHank

Worst: gum wrappers, rocks, twigs, rusty metal, matches, unidentifiable wet paper, broken/used Mctoys

Best: Older Palm Pilot (used) with cables, $40 gift certificate

Average price of swap items: depends on a lot of factors but typical is $1 to $4 but it is easy to get brand new solar calculators and newer toys and even some tools for about $1 at the local dollar store.

Thanks! I am new (1 cache found) and I left a ping pong ball. Ok thats a bit cheap but I took a pair of cheap dice so I thought that was ok. I took along several items not knowing what to expect so I could cover all bases. ANyways I wanted to know what the etiquette was for cache items but also wanted to get some interesting info at the same time. Thanks again!

Cheers,

BH.

nicest thing taken from a cache?

A hike filled without thoughts about work, bills, problems.

worst thing you have seen in a cache?

Probably just rocks taken from the trail on the way to the cache, for some reason people think that the rocks that are all around the cache belong inside the cache.

2 or 3 bucks, Dollar store stuff that somehow relates to or could be used by outdoorsy people. And anything that a kid would like to find in a cache because that's usually the kind of stuff I like too. I'm just a big kid.

Ohgr

nicest thing taken from a cache?

A hike filled without thoughts about work, bills, problems. 

<<SNIP>>

Ohgr

Okay even better than any swag. I for one (an part of a many though what part I have no clue) enjoy the search. The swag just is a bit of fun on top of it all.

Well said ohgr! :huh::o:o

I am new (1 cache found) and I left a ping pong ball. Ok thats a bit cheap but I took a pair of cheap dice so I thought that was ok.

Sounds ok to me.

Trackable geocoin, but I did not keep it. I moved it to another cache.

Nicest thing I took and keep: Had to be "CASH". :ph34r:

Bug spay that had leaked all over and made a big mess of anything that was plastic or rubber.

I'm new. only three finds. The very first cache I found had a cat toy mouse-the rattley kind my cats like- right on top, priceless, Cain Marko and Logan loved the tail right off it. I haven't found anything gross, or broken. I really still don't know what to carry out with me, so I take a wide selection of small things. Some foriegn and old coins, some toys that kids would like, mardi gras beads, mini sewing kits, some of my crafty hair scrunchies, small stuffed critters, and some beaded bracelets and necklaces. I also have a few crystals in there, and some coupons from the resaurant I work at. After seeing some of the signature cards and items left by others, I made myself some goofy shrinky dink coins that have my screen name and some silly sayings on them, and I leave them too. I can't be left out, hehehe. I guess I'm a walking cache. Price: free because they came with the trip to Mardi Gras to $15.

Edited by fangirlbob