Placing a cache - how close is too close?

custer

Not in my book. I'd be upset if I'd placed a cache a half-mile from parking, and then someone else set one up in between the car and mine... but this situation seems entirely different.

On the other hand, one of the original caches in our area was placed about 2 miles up a pretty steep trail - you'd really have to be in shape to make it. Someone else placed a cache about a third of the way up - still a good half-hour or so on trail, and at a sort of false summit. I did both the other day, and was glad to get a two-fer for the amount of sweat I expended. I didn't feel these two were stepping on each other at all.

I guess, my bottom line, is use your own aesthetic sense. Is it a unique spot, a destination in and of itself, that's free of a cache so far? Then go for it!

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

Well I probably don't have to experence to comment but...

There are (at least) two very different view points here that you need to look at.

1. The local view: Are you going to offend any of the people around the local area buy placing the cache. What do local cacher's think of the placement (are you stepping on anybody's toes?) Two caches less than a mile apart can be in quite differnt and equaly interesting areas deserving seprate caches. If they are near eachother and along the same route maybe you can talk with the owner of the existing cache and add yours, turning the frist into a new joint multi-cache.

2. The visiter's view: As a visiting Geocacher I think the more caches in an area the better. It gives a choice and a chance to visit all kinds of differnt spots. If I can log two or more caches I might be more inclined to make a trip to the area.

I think that as long as you don't upset the owner's of the other caches in the area place it (following the general cache placing guidlines of course). The more caches to search the better (i.e. I think visiter's point of view should be the main focus).

I went to the cache I thought I was going to be too close to today to get a feel for things. "Bubbling Crude" Is over a thousand feet up the side of a mountain. I gave up after going 200 ft up on the first try.

I'm planning to go down the other fork of the trail and put mine in a little cave I see about 20 feet up a hill off the trail. Much easier to get to. A long hike, but a different skill level available for people who don't have the abilities of the person who says he rode a bicycle up there (?!?!?!)

http://custer37.livejournal.com/

Two miles is fine. I have two caches that are under a 10th of a mile from each other, but there is a deep river and swampland between them, so realistically, someone whould have to drive a couple of miles to get to each one.

You don't want to put a cache within a few feet of another, but a few hundred yards away in an urban park is acceptable. Out in the woods and remote areas, I think a mile or so is reasonable, unless there is some major geological obsticale separating them, like a canyon, river or mountain, in which case they can be closer

A mile apart in the woods? I'm glad we aren't trying to make that a rule. I don't understand the mania about rules. You guys all need rules to govern your hobby?

Maybe the same bush or stump is too close but what the heck? Why burn gallons of gas to find each cache. Enjoy yourselves and quit trying to turn this hobby into something where we'll all need a rulebook before we can play.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Looking for the cache is the important part. If two are close by then that doubles the pleasure. Locally we have two caches that are only about 300 feet apart, but to get from one to the other is a 2 mile, yes mile, walk. There is a section of the old Erie canal between them.

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

I'd be upset if I'd placed a cache a half-mile from parking, and then someone else set one up in between the car and mine

I have a cache that's only about 200 yards from parking, and a newbie placed a cache between the car and mine! I was kinda mad, until I realized that his cache would probably wash away during the next good thunderstorm. Which it did. icon_biggrin.gif

I kinda like two-fer caches, as long as each is in a unique location, and is worth hunting on its own merit.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

I'd be upset if I'd placed a cache a half-mile from parking, and then someone else set one up in between the car and mine

I have a cache that's only about 200 yards from parking, and a newbie placed a cache between the car and mine! I was kinda mad, until I realized that his cache would probably wash away during the next good thunderstorm. Which it did. icon_biggrin.gif

I kinda like two-fer caches, as long as each is in a unique location, and is worth hunting on its own merit.

25021_1200.gif