Grading Caches

duncscott

I've noticed quite a few caches now have 'times viewed' statistics appearing on them along with the opportunity for finders to grade the caches.

Is this a new / standard feature of geocaching - if so where are details published / how do you load the information bars onto your own pages.

If its not a standard feature and some very clever people are doing it themselves - should it not be a feature for everyone.

It is very useful to be able to assess other peoples thoughts about a cache

There are caching sites like terracaching.com that do employ a rating system for caches, but if you are speaking of caches on geocaching.com there is no such system that I am aware of. More than likely what you are seeing are individual cachers who have customized their cache listing on geocaching.com to include a hit counter and a feedback/rating mechanism.

I do agree it is a neat idea, but I am not sure how helpful it really is since cachers have widely differing opinions on what makes a good or lame cache.

.... what one person might think is a good cache another person might think is a lame cache.

That is true. But over time, the varied responses would average out to a rolling average....which, to me, would be useful.

As it is now, the difficulty/terrain rating is relatively subjective...right?

As it is now, the difficulty/terrain rating is relatively subjective...right?

Not really. Here are the generally accepted defs:

Difficulty rating:

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain rating:

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Edited by briansnat

Why not develop something and make it an option like the new cache attributes thingy? That way, it would be up to the cache owner to use it or not.

I would add it to all my caches immediatly since I would find it much more useful than many of those cache attributes. I would rather have some idea that my (and other) caches were appreciated rather than decipher the "TNLN, thanks for the hide" logs that tell you nothing.

This is how I would use it:

If the cache gets alot of high ratings its probably a good one. If it gets alot of low ratings, its probably got issues. If it gets mixed reviews, its likely somewhere on the average. This way, I could relatively quickly decide which caches I wanted to focus on first. Who knows, cache quality may even improve! :rolleyes:

Salvelinus

I have read the other thread - some great ideas.

Here's my take, I cache in areas that are unknown to me. I would like to be able to do a PQ on an area, and have 5-20 caches in the area highlighted as good ones. I do not want to read the logs of 300-500 caches in an attempt to find those myself.

I do this sort of caching on a regular enough basis that joining local forums, etc. is time consuming.

I know some areas may have more or fewer ribboned caches - that's fine, I can look through these.

Basically, I want, I want, I want..... :rolleyes: