Forums "design" Request

SilverMarc

I believe that it would be an organizational/design benefit to break each USA Regional forum into Sub-Forums based exactly on the states you include already in the region title as geocache links.

Example: When I click on "Northeast" I would see a list of the sub-forums "Delaware" "Maryland" "New Jersey" "New York" "Pennsylvania" "Virginia" "Washington DC" and "West Virginia".

This would focus up that list of far-flung regional posts into much a much more organized presentation.

As for the posts in the current all-encompassing forum(s) in each region: Simply rename that category "Previous Regional Posts" and slowly but surely over time the migration to the new sub-forums will happen.

I will volunteer my time to assist in this - I am very familiar with the IBF forums moderation abilities, and would love to help out.

--Marc

January 30, 2005 @ 5:52 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Please no. Let's not waste time with something as trivial as this. The regional forums that I read, at least, aren't THAT busy that they need to be broken down further. Besides that, it would be more hassle for many users, particularly those who live on a state border and like to keep up with what's going on in several states.....

I have more finds outside my home state than within it.

I live 30 minutes away from West Virginia and 30 minutes away from Ohio. I can be in Maryland in 90 minutes, or in New York in 120. I cache in all those states and know many geocachers in each of those states. Outside my immediate area, I am especially fond of the geocaching communities in Nebraska, Nashville and Seattle.

I enjoy reading up on all the stories in the regional forums and I try to check the Northeast forums several times per day, the Midwest forums every couple of days, and the others once a week or so.

If I had to check the forums for all 16 of the states I've cached in, it'd be an annoyance. I think there'd also be a lot more cross-posting, to be sure that the message about a Philadelphia event was read by cachers in Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey, as well as Pennsylvania.

If someone *only* wants to read forum posts of purely local interest, then IMHO they should join their state or local geocaching association and post exclusively in their forums.

The biggest issue with this (other than the invisible state lines issue) is that the amount of traffic will be minimal and you end up just creating new rooms for chirping crickets to congregate. If there is a particular discussion area that is getting overburdened with posts I can see spinning off one area, but doing this board-wide is a bit premature.

Please no. Let's not waste time with something as trivial as this. The regional forums that I read, at least, aren't THAT busy that they need to be broken down further. Besides that, it would be more hassle for many users, particularly those who live on a state border and like to keep up with what's going on in several states.....

it's already bad enough being near a state border that crosses the regions we already have -- Midwest for Ohio, Northeast for PA....

not to mention that I'm a member of 10-12 regional organizations/forums/yahoo groups to cover the areas I cache in...

:unsure:

It's my personal opinion that if you have enough interested cachers in a specific area it's time to start a local forum.

The flip side is that local forums can't cover regional areas very well so gc.com is a good place to post issues that go beyond local groups.

I agree. Doing this in the beginning perhaps would have been a good idea for gc.com. However, now so many State organizations have been made, that the discussion is better off residing there. A seperate forum here, would be redundant.

--RuffRidr