Get A Gpsr With Map, Or Without?

Bozza

Asked this in 'Getting Started' and it was suggested I ask here also...

Had my first day Geocaching on Sunday and despite limited success I really enjoyed the day. I was lucky enough to be able to use a borrowed GPSr to see what I thought.

I'm now looking at getting my own unit and thoughts turn to what one to get.

Looking at http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk I see recreational devices divided into 2 - basic and mapping.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune - the Magellan eXplorist 200 and Garmin eTrex Legend (EU Basemap) from the mapping section look to be about the mark.

I'm wondering just how 'rich' the mapping functionality is on these things. Will I see villages/towns marked on them if out in the country? What about roads? And is this stuff available built in, or will I have to buy some mapping software for the PC and install as required?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

I've not used a mapping GPS before, but I believe that the mapping tends to only show towns, roads etc. I don't think it's anywhere near the detail of OS 1:50000 mapping. I usually print out the streetmap.co.uk 1:50000 page and take that with me.

I'm using a basic yellow etrex, but if I was buying a new GPSr, I might be tempted by the mapping units as the mapping could be useful when driving to the cache location. Depends on whether that's worth the extra 50% in price.

IMHO

It boils down to cost - if you CAN afford it get one with mapping - I am a Garmin user so can only speak to those machines - I use Garmin Vs and find the mappping very useful for more than GeoCaching - with a mapping GPS you will find you will leave it in the car and use it when just getting from A to B and you have never been to B before or to find ways around traffic jams etc. I carry one with me as I travel around the world on business ... very usefull to find a Petrol Station or Restaurant in a city you have never been to before

You have the option of base level mapping units or units which take the details Mapsource products - Based upon the Garmin V, I personallly would say that the units with base level maps and no routing would not be that usefull, however the units which allow maps downloaded from CitySelect or City Navigator (hence routing) are very good

From the Garmin web site ..... The Atlantic Highway basemap includes Europe, extreme western Russia, Africa, and the Middle East, and covers an area from N75 to S60 Latitude, W30 to E60 Longitude. Also included is a high-level worldwide map with political boundaries and major cities.

The standard map coverage for the Atlantic basemap includes:

1. Oceans, rivers and lakes (greater than 30 square miles)

2. Principal cities and a small amount of smaller cities and towns

3. Major motorways and/or interstates and principal highways

4. Political boundaries (state and international borders)

5. Large and Medium Airports

6. Urban areas greater than 200K

A. Iceland, Great Britain, Baltic States, Denmark, Germany, Benelux, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Southern Africa (up to S20 Latitude) - In addition to the standard map coverage, these areas also include:

1. Small lakes, major streams and rivers

2. Urban areas

3. Railroads

4. Regional arterial roadways

5. Exits for major motorways and/or interstates (Europe Only)

6. Small cities and towns

At the "bottom" end you have the Legends and Vistas, these units take Metroguide which (I believe) does not offer turn by turn routing. I am not sure of the "map" sizes versus the City Select and City Navigator (which do offer turn by turn routing) - however if the sizes are similar to CS/CN I'd steer clear of the Legend as the 8M of memory is just too small - (I find the occasional problem with the 19M of memory in the V). The Vista's and new Legend C have more memory so they may also work for you. So if you just want maps (no routing) these may work for you

If you want routing go with the V or the 60 family or the 76 family

If you want to see the detail the different Mapsource products provide go here

If cost is an Issue and go without the maps and therefore the Etrex family is the range .. I started with a Yellow Etrex, it will keep you going in GeoCaching for some time and then when you want to UG you either sell it on ebay for a good price or use it as a secondary unit (partners unit or backup unit for you)

Edited by S&G.Davison

We used a Yellow eTrex, then a Legend, then a 60CS.

The maps don't help a great deal when you're out in the field BUT (and it's a big BUT), they help a great deal when you're driving between caches! The 60CS has done more for our marital harmony than any other single factor. It's probably beyond your budget, but the autorouting in the unit is absolutely fabulous.

Hope this helps a little... looking at your budget constraints, I'd probably recommend getting a Legend, and Mapsource Roads & Recreation. Should be a good combination.

Cheers,

Stu

...to make matters worse I have used both non-mapping and mapping GPSrs and would still prefer the arrow when searching for a cache. The mapping device I have used was black and white and the maps I found near enough useless - a traditional road map is much easier for navigating the roads too IMHO.

Plus mapping devices are much larger so this is a consideration too. I mainly use a Geko 301 which is the weight and size of a small mobile phone whereas mapping devices are (correct me if I am wrong) much heavier and larger.

Larger devices are harder to hide in muggle rich areas - most will know that you have a GPS or something else worth their attention in your hand rather than a mobile phone which they will ignore.

I have used in car GPSr with colour mapping which was fantastic but it needs to have a largish screen to make it valuable and 'safe' to view whilst navigating.

Again this is my opinion only - your best bet is to go somewhere that stocks the devices so you can get some hands on.

Si

I've got an etrex legend. It does not provide any active route planning (you can plan a route on the pc and upload it) but the maps it displays are still VERY usefull. When you get near to caches you can see what roads you need to take...... but you cant beat a OS map for finding the footpaths, because the shortest route isn't always the quickest!!!

Mart

I've got an etrex legend. It does not provide any active route planning (you can plan a route on the pc and upload it) but the maps it displays are still VERY usefull. When you get near to caches you can see what roads you need to take...... but you cant beat a OS map for finding the footpaths, because the shortest route isn't always the quickest!!!

Mart

Are you referring to the basemap provided when you buy the unit or a map product you have subsequently bought and applied?

(And thanks to everyone for the advice so far)

I think that mapping and gps is at the moment going through a very quick evolutionary period with digital mapping being developed by a dozen different producers in this country alone.It is at the moment vastly overpriced partly because of the monopolistic position the Ordnance Survey hold over mapping data.

As for the GPS side of it the main protagonists in this area are Garmin and Magellan . In the states the 60cs,for instance is priced at about £200. This costs in the shops over here £500+.the same seems to apply to the rest of the ranges.So to start off with try a AA road map and a second hand yellow E-trex for a total outlay of about £50.I say this as I find the base maps are not all that clever as they are not very accurate at all and as for the 60cs(British version) seeing the small size of the memory and the lack of topo maps and the costly add-ons should not be priced much above £300.

I have just bought a Legend with the US Base Map from Ebay - it came with MapSource software and the total package was only£130 as opposed to £210 in UK!

I have only found 7 caches so far and already I can see that the mapping is usefgul for getting there but an OS Map is essential if you don't want to be walking up a 1/4 hill or through a hedge of brambles.

As for mapping, my 8Mb unit currently has mapping for an area roughly defined from Banbury - Hitchin - Horsham - Romsey - Banbury. And there are enough caches in there to keep me occupied for at least the next few years!! It is easy to take mapping off and enter data for a new area if you are planning a trip and want to cache somewhere new.

Given the size of screens, I would not suggest that any of the hand held units would give you enough detail that you could do without the paper map - but, I am new and there will be amny wiser than me.

Bottom line is that you will find out how to explkoit the equipment you have and it will be down to budget and personal choice.

The 60CS has done more for our marital harmony than any other single factor. It's probably beyond your budget, but the autorouting in the unit is absolutely fabulous.

Hmmmm Autorotuting Vs wife who can read a map

Sue...No Go left here

Me ... GPS says straight on

Sue... its quicker if we go left

Me... So exty Billions of USD in Navigation versus you and a map who do you think is right

Sue just does that look ....

Me turns left...

Mart

Are you referring to the basemap provided when you buy the unit or a map product you have subsequently bought and applied?

(And thanks to everyone for the advice so far)

I use it with maps uploaded from the Garmins Mapsource that came with the gps.

Memory Map and Anquet leading the charge - both leapfrogging the other.Fugawi cheaper but the operating system is more clunky-all are changing quite quickly.Memory Map just edge it for me at the moment . All overpriced-watch out for competition taking place although may be held back by the monopolistic hold Ordnance Survey have got over digital mapping data.

The Garmin mapping is quite useful in the car but not much cop for inland boat use,so far I've had my boat across several ploughed fields and 3 railway lines according to the europe basemap. B)

It does get it right when you go under roads though, I did have trouble once when the A1 had a section missing, it seems the middle of the country's not that accurate but east anglia's fine.

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista with the Mapsource Metroguide (street-level mapping) and personally I love it. It may be a bit clunky but as I do all of my caching on foot and by public transport I am always walking into, through and out of towns / villages. In this respect the mapping is great because you can see which way to go and where you'll end up. Sadly it doesn't show footpaths so you're a bit stuck there.

Besides the above advertiser-like garb if I had to choose between Mapping OR a Digital Compass (i.e. a mid-level GPS unit) then I'd probably go for the compass - it's invaluable and you can always buy OS maps.

The mapping was very useful wandering around Copenhagen though.