Com 1 Mystery

alpinewarrior

I downloaded some waypoints into GSAK (great software by the way) but can't connect to my GPS (Garmin Etrex Legend) on my computer running Windows XP home. I struggled with settings without luck. Hardware and drivers are OK, I changed some of the settings, but it did not help. There are no apparent IRQ conflicts. GSAK is compatible with XP, so does anyone have any ideas on why COM 1 won't initiate in XP?

The mystery stems from the fact that I was able to connect and transferring data on my other computer that runs Windows 98. So the GPS is ok and GSAK is ok with my GPS is ok with Windows 98, but not ok with Windows XP. Or is it some software/hardware problem?

You sound like you are running into an OS/hardware control conflict. The OS wants to manage everything, but there are BIOS settings that can conflict with the OS. You will need to check your BIOS to ensure your Ports are set to Auto or something similar. If you don't have an automatic setting, make sure your setting is at a speed that is equal to or greater than your GPS receiver's setting. If that is ok, then go to your Device Manager and check the port setting there for the Com port you are hooked into (typically COM 1), and ensure the port speed is set to a speed that is equal to or higher than the GPS receiver's setting.

I'm definitely not a techie, but I've come across two things that have kept my GPSr from connecting.

Don't boot your pc with the GPSr plugged into the usb and turned on. Plug it in after your already booted.

Also, do you have a palm already using the port? You might have to click off 'local usb' or 'local serial' (I can't remember which) to allow your GPSr to connect.

Not tech-savvy but on my Windows laptop I can't load anything onto the GPS (Legend) if the PDA software is loaded. I have to exit that program (which usually shows in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen) and then am able to load stuff into the GPS. Hope this helps...

Palm's Hotsync app is a common source of this problem. It grabs all the com ports and tries to control them, even if your Palm is connected via USB. Canceling Hotsync seems to solve the conflict. For some reason, the problem also sometimes comes up if you have a USB cable plugged in at all when doing Garmin serial connections. Finally, see this thread re making sure you're drivers are properly found and loaded.

Thanks for the hepl.

I did find that two modems (one PCI slot and one onboard) were using COM 1 and COM 3. I disabled both modems and rebooted. still no connection. I'll keep trying. Maybe a BIOS setting will do the trick. To those helping with Palm info, I'm working on a desktop Thanks for your help, though. javascript:emoticon(':angry:')

smilie

An alternate techie approach is to use the communications terminal program HYPERTERM (should be on all windows machines ) and a loop back plug to physically identify the particular RS-232 (serial) style com port. If you do not have or not using 9 pin serial connector and ARE using a USB converter the port the USB hardware/firmware creates could be any com port between 1 and 8.

As others have said PALM software can capture a com port and also your internal modem (if you have one) may capture a different com port.

You have to actually physically find out what com port number the connector you have access to is actually designated in computers "system".

I know on some laptops COM1 is usually the Modem... The hardware port is COM2

Dale

I had a similar problem and moved to our 2nd PC running XP Pro. It worked fine. From an experience at work I know Dell PCs have conflicts or something and the problem is resolved in the BIOS. My first PC is a Dell, the second PC is a generic thingy. I haven't tried changing the BIOS on the Dell - why bother it works on the other machine. That is about teh limit of my PC understanding - hope it helps or someone can expand on it. One of the previous replies did mention BIOS settings.