Proper Placement of Caches

cachercarry

My wife and I are new to Geocaching. We found our first one last weekend and are anxious to continue searching and to place several caches of our own. I have a few newbie questions.

First- would it be proper to place a multi-cache involving puzzles or riddles to be solved at each part?

Second- We are avid canoeists and would a cache accessable only by water be ok, and if so how would you rate the difficulty of access (lakes or slow rivers no white water). Finally- if you place a cache within a state park should you get permission or is this somewhat off limits?

any comments would be appreciated.

Lane & Joy,

Jackson, Mississippi

[This message was edited by MrFixit on July 16, 2002 at 06:43 AM.]

[This message was edited by MrFixit on July 16, 2002 at 06:46 AM.]

Like Markwell said, find a few more before placing your own, you'll get a better idea of how/where to hide them, and, the more you find, the more ideas you'll get as to containers to use and not use, camaflauge techniques, etc.

Water caches will not be found as much as walk up ones, but they will come. (I'm still waiting for someone to find mine 3mi from shore in the Saginaw Bay, placed it Labor Day W/E.)

Multi stage caches with riddles or puzzles are great.

Caches that require a boat to get to are fine. I believe use of specialized equipment (which would include a boat) makes the cache terrain difficulty a 5 according to Clayjar's rating system (http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/).

The legality of caches in state parks vary from state to state. Some don't allow it, some allow it with a permit or permission and others have no policy.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

The exception to the above guideline would be if a boat can be provided easily. The Row, Row, Row Your Boat cache I mentioned above is on a lake that rents paddleboats, row boats and canoes. He mentions the fees ahead of time - so you don't need to bring your own special equipment to find it.

So, I believe the rating for terrain would be lower than a 5 at that point.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers