Our Bug Has Been Lost

geosliders

We dont know what to do - last June (2004) we set out a travel bug in a cache (St. Marys Travel Bug, zip 12065) - the "we" was two second and two third grade classes - we are a small private school - so, coming up with the money to get the field trip was hard enough - getting four classes of eight and nine year olds to venture on a cache in the woods in June was another feat. In then end - they worked hard and they all did it!! our bug asked to see the country - or even the world and make it back to upstate NY by May/June of 2005. We then set up a map with the hopes of tracking our bug around the country for the next school year and learning about the places and people it got to see along the way.

It only made a few stops before it was picked up and was headed to Seattle - WOW - the kids were exstatic!!! BUT - we haven't heard from our bug again. The kids are really bummed - I have emailed the last person to log in with our bug several times but, haven't rec'd any responses - the same person has logged on many times - so we know they are still caching - we just want to know what happened to our bug..if it was lost we would just like to know so we can somehow get it going again and the kids can enjoy it and learn something while they are at it - any suggestions on what to do?? I dont want to post the cachers name - I dont think that would be right - we just want our bug to be on the move again!

Geosliders for St. Mary's Travel Bug

While it's not unusual for travel-bugs to disappear, I think this is an unusual situation.

I did a bit of checking (from your profile, to your TB, to the person holding it) and see that this cacher is indeed still active - was last on the site on December 28th, 2004. That being said, they haven't logged any finds since the 2nd of December....

I would try emailing them again. Some geocachers do not put their primary email address on their geocaching account (not sure why, I've never recieved spam from GC.com). Sometimes people have spam filters that remove valid emails (kinda defeats the point imo) or unreliable email providers (their email is often down or their inbox is tiny and often full).

I'd try to email them several more times - they are active but they don't seem to be actively geocaching.

Another option would be to find one of the caches they own and post a note that says:

I have emailed you several times with no response. Will you check your email's spam filter to see if our email was misplaced? If it's not there, please contact us via our GC.com user account.

---

That's worked for me in the past - it may work for you as well.

southdeltan

While it is not nearly the same, I am about to create a few Travel bugs. Maybe I could creat one and place it here in Dallas, TX, and try and head it to you and your class? If this would work, please let me know and I will send it out in the next week. DiziTxs

Try contacting the admin at the Washington State Geocaching Association. Explain the situation to them and see if they know the cacher involved. Maybe a gentle nudge from a friend would help move the bug along!

Edit: You might also try posting this in the Northwest Forums to see if anyone knows the cacher and would be willing to help.

Edited by Spencersb