Tb Hotels

ribel

I've just placed my 1st TB Hotel, but being relatively new to geocaching, and not having visited any other TB hotels, I was wondering if there are any general (or specific) guidlines regarding them. From one the 1st logs, it would appear I need a larger container - I plan to take care of this today - I never expected it to fill so quickly!

My other thoughts were regarding promoting the cache to it's intended cachers, passengers using the nearby ferry terminal. Lots of Dutch, German and Scandanavian travellers, from where I gather, geocaching is quite popular. I was thinking of a quick post on their respective countries forum.

Any comments/suggestions?

The cache can be viewed here

Happy New Year

ribel

I have often seen simple blank luggage tags in travel bug hotels/exchanges, so you can attach the current destination of a particular bug to it when you drop it off.

I'd also want to make doubly sure that the cache container is watertight, and also make sure it will not be found by chance. I'd not want the responsibility of hiding a TB hotel that got muggled when full, nor one that leaked and ruined those in it.

As for promoting it abroad? I think if cachers are coming to the UK from abroad, they are likely to search for it using the search options on the web page themselves.

Good luck with it.

Ey up ribel, that'd be my log then!

Well it was a shiny new TB hotel with only a few residents and I had three TBs on me so I thought I'd boost the figures.

Nice cache by the way, but there are quite a few TBs that'd fill that container on their own.

I like the luggage label idea by the way.

Which reminds me, I might go dangling dunlop spotting this aft <_<

Which reminds me, I might go dangling dunlop spotting this aft <_<

Well do me a favour, and pick up some luggage labels from you know where :huh:

Oh, and wear yer boot's! The electricity board are doing a bit work at the car parking site and it's a little muddy. The rest of the path is fine.

From one the 1st logs, it would appear I need a larger container - I plan to take care of this today - I never expected it to fill so quickly!

From my limited experience, I think that this is a significant issue for a TB motel container.

I sourced a 2 litre container for the Forth 2 North TB Motel, thinking it would be plenty big enough. Wrong! Within a week or three I had to get a bigger one. That was 3 litres. Still too small! A month or two later I replaced it with the biggest ammo can I could source. It's six and a half litres, but is now stuffed full because someone is using it as a parcel office for a package which is neither a TB nor a bona fide swap.

If Haggis Hunter would care to collect his bulky Crimbo Prezzie then there will be room for proper swaps and TBs to be added!

Any comments/suggestions?

Yes. Always put the name of the cache in the front page of the logbook. This enables innocent accidental finders to find the cachepage on the geocaching.com website. Using a pseudonym for the cachename in the logbook is most unhelpful as it makes it very difficult to trace the cache's page on the website. I've seen that done in several caches and I just don't understand the reason for the policy. Much better to keep things simple and have only one name for a cache.

Cheers, The Forester

It's six and a half litres, but is now stuffed full because someone is using it as a parcel office for a package which is neither a TB nor a bona fide swap.

If Haggis Hunter would care to collect his bulky Crimbo Prezzie then there will be room for proper swaps and TBs to be added!

Well thank you Forester for sending me the nice personal email letting me know about the Crimbo present!!

It is ever so polite of you to let me know in an open forum!!

It's six and a half litres, but is now stuffed full because someone is using it as a parcel office for a package which is neither a TB nor a bona fide swap.

Well thank you Forester for sending me the nice personal email letting me know about the Crimbo present!!

It is ever so polite of you to let me know in an open forum!!

Happy Crimbo and a Happy New Year, HH.

In fact, I did send a private email to the person who had stuffed the prezzie into the TB motel box, but I don't know whether that person relayed my email to you or simply deleted it.

There is a difference between letterboxing and geocaching, but I guess we must take into account that at Crimbo someone might use a cache container as a private parcel office.

That's the point I'm making. A TB cachebox needs to be much larger than the largest you might originally think is big enough. You have to be prepared for someone to do the unexpected such as cramming it so full that bona fide TB motel visitors bringing a couple of bulky teddy-type TBs have a wasted journey because there's no room at the Inn.

Cheers, The Forester

That's the point I'm making. A TB cachebox needs to be much larger than the largest you might originally think is big enough. You have to be prepared for someone to do the unexpected such as cramming it so full that bona fide TB motel visitors bringing a couple of bulky teddy-type TBs have a wasted journey because there's no room at the Inn.

Happy New year to you too Forester,

I agree with you totally that a TB motel has to be a large container, but I think you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill with the one that you have mentioned. I have taken a photo of the container, with the parcel for me still inside it, and as you can see the parcel only takes up a small proportion of the container and half the container is still empty.

74fe7bb0-20a9-48a4-9bc3-fb0bee5fb2b5.jpg