Been Walking And Geocaching This Christmas?

davester

I thought I'd just post this as some people may not be aware of my website, GeoHikes which can be found by clicking this link.

Several months ago I mooted the idea of a walking route site that would give details of routes that people had followed while hunting down Geocaches. I liked the idea so much that I spent a little time setting it up.

It's allowed me the chance to share my caching experiences with the world and others have grasped the opportunity and shared theirs (for which we should all be grateful).

There might be a fair few new UK geocachers playing with their Christmas gifts and I'm sure that plenty of us have been out on a post-turkey trot to a cache or two.

If you're in those categories, why not pop along to GeoHikes and share your well thought out route with the rest of us, and perhaps grab inspiration for your next caching trip at the same time? There are more than 30 routes at the moment which can hopefully only continue to grow.

Look forward to seeing you there.

:rolleyes:

I actually have a legitimate claim (I think) to the unoccupied geohikes.ie but I never knew they cost as much as they do!

Ouch!

To get an .ie domain is quite hard, and as you said, expensive too!

You shouldn't have a problem if you own the .co.uk one and the site would take an irish focal point.

I got your mail and hope to get something off to you in the coming week.

Dave,

It's looking good. The CMS certainly gives it a professional feels.

But (there's always a but :o ) the site really need some sort of search or a map. I went on there looking for a walk in the region of my parents over christmas. Unless you know the name of the place you want to walk, you would have to look each one up. OK, not TOO hard with the 30 oe whatever you have now, but in the future, impossible.

Ian

Does this include routes taken by bike or is it walking specific?

Mad people like me could possibly be interested in suitably rural routes that normal mortals would only sensibly cover by bike.

So as long as your bike routes are not largely on busy roads, feel happy to submit them. If it proves a popular idea, I'd be happy to include bike routes as a separate section.

As for your comments, rutson. I had been working on a postcode database, but it seems far too hard to get working properly and as such I can't justify the licence fee to make it go live.

I will try and get a map set up as soon as I have the time, and possibly some better form of categorisation (by region).

Edited by davester

A .gpx file of all starting way points would do for me GSAK can do the rest (would you like some help with this?). In the set by field put geohike.

I shall convert my walk to a gpx file.

Also having looked at your route descriptions i will convert to that layout maybe a standard (ish) submission form would help.

Just keeping your workload up for the new year. hehe :o

Edited by markandlynn
A .gpx file of all starting way points would do for me GSAK can do the rest (would you like some help with this?). In the set by field put geohike.

I shall convert my walk to a gpx file.

Also having looked at your route descriptions i will convert to that layout maybe a standard (ish) submission form would help.

Just keeping your workload up for the new year. hehe :D

A waypoint file is a good idea so I'll get that done as well.

A standard submission form is not really something I think is necessary as it doesn't really matter how people want to submit a walk. If their idea is different than mine (mine do tend to err on the side of over-description) that's fine by me.

As far as a route exists and contains a cache or two, send it in. Scruffy or not, it can always be tidied up!