Letterboxing Forum

Sgt Stitches

So I see separate forums for CITO and Benchmark... but nothing for Letterbox Hybrids.... Can we get a separate forum for Letterboxing questions?

Having never found a letterbox hybrid... heck, I've never even seen one in my local area .... I don't really know much about setting one up. :D

Here is what the GC website Glossary says about Letterboxing:

letterbox(ing)

Letterboxing is similar to Geocaching, but you use a series of clues to find a container. Once you find the container (or letterbox), you take a carved stamp from the box and stamp your personal logbook. You then take your carved stamp and stamp the letterbox's log book. See Letterboxing North America for more info.

Since ignorance had never seemed to stop me before :D I decided to try to set one up in my area (Don't Take the Stamp!, but I've got a few questions:

I "get" that instead of providing coordinates, you want to provide clues... so to make this a "hybrid", I provide the coordinates for the trailhead, then provide clues to get the rest of the way there.

My biggest question is: Can people "log" the cache without having their own rubber stamp? To make this a "hybrid", do I allow cachers to log the find, even if they don't have a stamp? I mean... can they just sign the log like a normal geocache? Can I allow the substitution of "stickers"?.... I was thinking of allowing anything other than a signture (eg: rubber stamp, sticker, or draw a doodle)

I don't want to "police" :) the logs... but I also want to provide guidance on the cache page on what constitutes a "real" log....

Just seeking opions..... Of course, (To paraphrase The Mythbusters:) "I reserve the right to reject your opinions and substitute my own" :D

I "get" that instead of providing coordinates, you want to provide clues... so to make this a "hybrid", I provide the coordinates for the trailhead, then provide clues to get the rest of the way there.

You don't have to do this. A LB hybrid is both a letterbox AND a geocache. Not a geocache that is LIKE a letterbox. You can provide accurate coordinates for the cache for geocachers to find, and list letterbox type cluese on the letterboxing site, or elsewhere for letterboxers to find.

Geocachers will log it as a geocache and letterboxers will do the stamp thing. It may be a good idea to provide separate logbooks for geocachers and letterboxers.

Thanks for the inputs Briansnat and RK....

One of the reasons I decided to try to make this a "Letterbox" and provide clues instead of coordinates is that GPS reception at this location is almost impossible! The canyon is narrow and deep (its a turn of the century limestone quarry). I was there three times and the best I was able to do was to get 2 satellites to lock up.... never enough for good coordinates.

Since I couldn't get coordinates, I figured I try the "clue" route. Of course I could always estimate the coordinates from a map or project coordinates.....

So from that standpoint, I think I'll stay with the trailhead/clues approach.... (so does that make it a puzzle/offset/letterbox hybrid? :D:):D:D )

I think I'll go with the "log it anyway you like" route and just give brownie points and gold stars to those who are willing to stamp it or draw a little doodle B)