Tbs On Other Listing Sites

TheAlabamaRambler

GC, NV, TC.com bugs should be in their respective caches until they all agree on how to track them.

Travlertag bugs, hand made hitchhikers, some coins etc. that are tracked outside the listing sites are fair game for any listing sites caches. The one hitch is a site that you have to be a member to see the caches like TC.com. Travlertags gives the coordinates for the cache since they are not tracked directly on the listing site. That defeates the purpose of you need to be a member to view the cache.

You can't show online that you've dropped them anywhere, other than in a gc.com cache or in the hands of a gc.com cacher.

Leaving them anywhere else is Monkey Business. And I ain't no monkey. They have a hard enough time surviving where you can find them listed.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'd say take them whereever you want. Its annoying for a traveler to placed a cache thats not recorded properly with the traveler, but it happens all the time. If you can, send the owner a short email telling the traveler's owner that the thing has been places. That way they know its still traveling.

Expecting everyone to only move a traveler to only locations it can be easily tracked is unrealistic. Until all the cache listings and traveler tracking sites get together and work out some way of interacting (probably never happen, but who knows), there will always be travelers for which the last person to move them either couldn't figure out how to log the movements or didn't care enough to follow all the steps to log the movement.

I'd say take them whereever you want. Its annoying for a traveler to placed a cache thats not recorded properly with the traveler, but it happens all the time. If you can, send the owner a short email telling the traveler's owner that the thing has been places. That way they know its still traveling.

Expecting everyone to only move a traveler to only locations it can be easily tracked is unrealistic. Until all the cache listings and traveler tracking sites get together and work out some way of interacting (probably never happen, but who knows), there will always be travelers for which the last person to move them either couldn't figure out how to log the movements or didn't care enough to follow all the steps to log the movement.

Most of these travelers (non gc.com) are designed to be tracked in various locations. i.e. caches, under rocks, shopping malls, national forests. GC.com TBs are not.

Do I think gc.com TB should be placed in locations that can't be tracked? No. Telling the owner in Arizona you've dropped their bug behind a tree in Iowa doesn't tell the finders in Iowa where to look.

"Travelers" are normally only stumbled over, not listed to be found.

Edited by BlueDeuce

They really are a pain to log and drop. Now I generally just leave them in a cache when I run across them. I'm afraid they're here to stay, though, because they're inexpensive to buy. Everyone thinks they can build a better mouse trap, but why mess with success. Jeremy has a good set up and it keeps getting better. :(

:rolleyes::mad:<_<

I misread the original topic post and my log has to do with finding travelertags in caches. As far as gc.com TB's, they should stay in gc.com caches. That's how they're tracked.

Edited by SerenityNow
Most of these travelers (non gc.com) are designed to be tracked in various locations. i.e. caches, under rocks, shopping malls, national forests. GC.com TBs are not.

Do I think gc.com TB should be placed in locations that can't be tracked? No. Telling the owner in Arizona you've dropped their bug behind a tree in Iowa doesn't tell the finders in Iowa where to look.

"Travelers" are normally only stumbled over, not listed to be found.

Of the non gc.com travlers I've seen they usually have some sort of 'notes' field, or an email address in either case, if you got threw all the steps you can report to the owner the location (I was thinking cache, but your right people do leave them in weird places).

I can see why you would want your gc.com traveler (called a travel bug by most) placed only in gc.com caches. Gc.com has sent a lot of time adding maps, and automation distances, but its unrealistic to expect that. Even with gc.com caches there can be problems, like caches that are not approved, yet to be approved, or archived without viewing, distances might but you won't be able to view the page. Having a distance and dirction to the new location doesn't seem to much better than 'behind a tree in Iowa' :rolleyes: .

'travelers' are not listed to be found on gc.com because that site has not worked in a way to flag the cache when items not in the Groundspeak travelbug database are placed there. (and AFAIK neiter have any of the other listing sites). However, travelertags and geolutions, perhaps others, are listed to be found. Its just you have to go their respective sites to find out what cache they're reported as being at.

To paraphrase:

I can see why you would want your gc.com traveler (called a travel bug by most) placed only in gc.com caches. Gc.com has sent a lot of time adding maps, and automation distances, but its unrealistic to expect that. Even with gc.com caches there can be problems.........

I think this is where we differ. I do think it is realistic to expect gcTBs to only be placed in gcCaches. Do I think they always are? of course not, but I do think it is realistic to EXPECT them to be placed in gcCaches.

I'm watching some 35 bugs and have a few of my own, and I can only think of two times it was reported in the forums that someone placed a gcTB somewhere other than a gcCache. The response to that placement was not positive.

Now, for travelers, I've seen them in many places, usually forgotten or too far out of reach to be found by anyone, other than by accident. Finding them in any cache, gc.com or not, is usually a surprise. Not something people check for before heading out.

If we start seeing a marked increase of non-gcCaches, then yes gcTBs will probably start showing up in other places, whether I like it or not. Then gc.com may need to consider being able to track them without a cache. But until then, I would prefer my bugs only be placed in gcCaches.

Edit: oh yeah, If they are left behind a tree in Iowa, I know one of us will find it. <_<:rolleyes:

Edit: Second thought: Now being able to track mileage without dropping in a cache certainly would help us Personal TB holders!

Edited by BlueDeuce
I think this is where we differ. I do think it is realistic to expect gcTBs to only be placed in gcCaches. Do I think they always are? of course not, but I do think it is realistic to EXPECT them to be placed in gcCaches.

Since most caches are listed on gc.com, any cache they're placed in will probably be a gc.com cache. Whatever small percentage of caches are non-gc should in theory be the same percentage of travelers (many of which would be gc.com travel bugs), that get placed in non-gc.com caches. Or at least thats the way I see it. If 'be placed only in gc.com caches' were part of the travelers goal then maybe it would say only in gc.com caches, but as always your TB is at the mercy of others.

:blink: yea, you know I actually rescued a TB that had been left in a grass waterway in cornfield :unsure: . The owner had listed some coords. as the final goal, but they didn't research them very well and were off by about 20 miles :huh:

I am interested in TB owners opinions on TBs being put in caches where they can't be tracked, such as navicache.com or terracache.com.

Since the TBs I have released are clearly tagged with a tag identifying them as a Groundspeak TB I would hope cachers would only place them in caches tracked on the gc.com web site.

As a bug owner (and soon to be a few more):

Please only drop Gc.com TBs in Gc.com caches.

Nuff Said.

Seriously. They're designed to be tracked through THIS SITE by being placed in other caches through THIS SITE.

DONT take one of my bugs and put it in a non GC cache.