2004 Awards

one4zorro

As the year draws to an end I thought it would be nice to have our own little awards, to say thanks to those that have enhanced our Geocaching experience. Here are some suggested categories feel free to add your own!

• Favourite Cache of the Year
  • Best swop of the Year
  • Favourite Software Application
  • Favourite Web Site
  • Personality of the Year

Acceptance speeches are OK but please no tears

:P

Edited by one4zorro

/cites post-present pre-lunch boredom as reason for posting on Xmas day.

Most amusing log.

Most useless clue (2004 caches only).

Most idiotic attempt to bag 11 caches on a 25 mile walk culminating in a 1.5 trudge down a busy A-road because that was the only route visible to follow in the pitch darkness, with the geocacher in question not being in pocession of a torch.

And to start the ball rolling here is my list:

• Favourite Cache of the Year: The Return of the Chase.
  • Best swop of the Year: Still looking.
  • Favourite Software Application: No competition GSAK!
  • Favourite Web Site: GeoHikes.
  • Personality of the Year: MarcB.

The Return of the Chase - because it has such a good twist and I really got a sense of achievement doing it - I can't say too much without giving the game away!

GSAK - its just so good! support is excellent and it's being constantly developed. What more could you ask for?

GeoHikes - whilst I don't mind the occasional 'park and cache' GeoHikes are what really interest me and Dave has done an amazing job with the site. All his efforts deserve success.

MarcB - I don't want to embarrass people but without caches the sport would die. In Staffordshire Marc has placed so many caches that are excellent. They are well thought out and introduced me to areas on my own doorstep that I didn't know existed! Thanks.

One last mention - this list! I have found it informative, helpful and frustrating in equal measures, but it is still the first site I check out when I surf! Cheers.

A few quickies that spring to mind:

Software: Gotta be GSAK, unbeatable

Best Virtual: Steam bricks! ( Co. Durham ) by Postie, dunno why but that sculpture just appeals to me.

Best Multi: Waterside Trail (Tyne and Wear) by El Lobo shame I didn't have time to walk it! Love the final location.

Best Trad: Really can't decide, but I'm going for OGGY OGGY OGGY W YORKS by WINDSWEPT as it was my first cache and sticks in the mind. Nice walk, not too long, not too short.

Best Mystery: Becoming a Truthbeater by Diangelis, very invetntive and a nice spot too.

The Austin Powers series deserves an honourable mention for bringing the unusual Texan caches over to West Yorkshire.

Worst cache: All those in dry stone walls, you know which they are!

That's all for now, sure more categories will spring to mind :P

Okay these caches are on my favourites list

Micro, has to be robrovskis as it was the first cache I found

Traditional, Sambo's grave, a lovely quiet area by the sea.

Virtual, that would be Wedding Cake In"spire"ation, still can't believe i found the answer in the dark by the light of a pda.

Event, easy Mark "The Cat" - Children in Need 2004, well attended and a great fundraiser.

Best Multi Reservoir Dogs in the Chew valley the area is close to home and a place I run/walk regularly.

Software hard choices here but probably, Memory map followed by gsak and mobipocket and road navigation software.

oops edited to add my favourite dnf, Cut Down Cache

Web site Guk

personality, too many to mention.

Edited by mongoose39uk

Favourite Traditional Cache of the Year - Ireland: The Grey Man's Head

Favourite Traditional Cache of the Year - Britain: Holm View

Best Virtual: Spooky

Best Multi: Deserted Village

Best Mystery: Fancy That! Lugg a Vault up the Wrong Mountain

Best Event: Sweep Down To The Sea

Best Webcam: Picture This

Favourite Website: www.geocachingireland.com

Personality of the Year: There are too many reasons to list, but wildlifewriter gets my vote.

Most Amusing Logs: For sheer consistent madness, The Bridge Bandits

Special Personal Thanks to: Donnacha. A chance meeting through a shared hobby has evolved into a great friendship. :P

* Favourite Cache of the Year

Clearances (GCHFTW)

because: it's a remarkably atmospheric place, both in its lingering fragments of the Ancient Caledonian Forest and the ineffable sadness of the cleared out houses.

* Favourite Software Application

Grid InQuest

because: it enables one to make good use of the available accuracy of modern GPS when converting to/from high quality large scale Ordnance Survey mapping co-ords in OSGB36 grid.

* Favourite Web Site

Theyr.net

because: it gives high-precision weather forecasts for every hour over the next couple of days which allows me to plan a geocaching sortie. The Beeb will tell me that it's going to rain. Theyr will tell you *when* it's going to rain at a particular location and when it's going to stop. That's a great boon in sortie planning.

* Personality of the Year

Mark 'The Cat' Thomson.

because: he exemplified the altrusitic inclusiveness of the true spirit of geocaching in general.

This Year I did / attended 119 Caches

In 3 Countries.

My Awards are as follows :P

Favourite Cache of the Year

This is hard, very hard...so I am giving a top 3.

3- Just a cache by John & Hazel

This was a lovely hot summer's day, had brilliant fun doing it and the main reason I loved it so much is because we shouldnt have found the cache! But we did. lol

2- Pyg 'n' Hell We're Knackered!! by spreaders

Brilliant day we had walking up Snowdon and this was a real cracker of a cache. If just for the walk up Snowdon this gets my vote.

1- MILITARY INTELLIGENCE by Simply Paul

Well what can I say? What an unbelieveble find by SP!!! Everything was right about this place for me....it was dark, eery, creepy, random, fun, cold, and most of all easy! Loved the location and thurilly enjoyed doing the cache. The best bit was getting at it! BIG UP Simply Paul for this.

Other great caches I have done this year include:

Testing, Testing

Burrows Bench and

Blue Lagoon

Loved all 3!

Best swop of the Year

A Compass

Very Useful! I have one on my GPS but the real thing was an added bonus :P

Favourite Software Application

Eeeeeeeeeeeer I just follow the arrow :P

Favourite Web Site

http://www.simong.org

Classic Comedy!

Personality of the Year

Mark the Cat

Inspiration to every UK cacher. Im the proudest I could be to say I met him- RIP Mark- Sadly missed but never forgotten.

Most useless clue of 2004 (ut of ones I did)

Menai Micro

LoL....What a load of s**t!

Best Twist for a Cache

Hook, Line & Sinker

Dan- You never cease to amaze.

Best Series of Caches

Canal Mania and Snowdon View caches.

Best Event

Halloween Monster Cache Bash

-No contest.

All in all a thurilly great year! Can hardly wait for 2005. :D

Favourite Event Cache of the seven I attended this year: A tricky one. I really enjoyed the climb up Snowdon in September but was it the cache I liked or the mountain? The August event in Oxford was great, but was that just because of the perfect weather? London event in November was a brilliant laugh but I think I have to plump for the Halloween Monster Cache Bash in October too. The cache close-by was a goodie and I was stalked in the woods by Sparticus, Pyoung1s and Pete of HoB dressed as a ghost. Who could ask for more? Special mention to Alibag's Xmas event on the 18th - a wonderful atmosphere and very well attended.

Favourite Virtual Cache of the Year: Catastrophe, Calamity, Cataclysm Part 2 Quite a climb but well worth the effort. £2 well spent.

Favourite Mystery/Puzzle Cache of the Year: The Little Cemetery Safari, now archived. Trick or Treat was good when I did it, but I dare say it's not the same now. My favourite 'live' puzzle of the year is Dan Wilson's Hook, Line & Sinker! (Bucks) which is a real giggle. :lol:

Favourite Multi Cache of the Year: Hornet's Hide 16 - Chess Valley Trail (Bucks) but Animal Magic by The Ollies and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by oryxteam (when done with Went The Cache Well?) are well worth a mention too. I also really enjoyed Alibag and Giav's Chearsley Furze (Bucks) and Dendrology by Bekandian.

Favourite Traditional Cache of the Year: Folly Foot Castle (Wales) A real unexpected treat as I'm a fan of the work of Clough Williams-Ellis. Somewhere Under the Rainbow in Oxford gets a mention too, just for being a really nice spot.

Favourite Cache Series of the Year: 2202's University Challenge series in Oxford. Some cheeky hides at very photogenic locations. A special mention to the London Parks series too.

Other highlights: Finding my first Geocoin and getting a Jeep TB. Woop! :lol:

LEAST Favourite Caching moment of the Year: When I found The Green Park #1 (Traditional Cache) Armed police, oh my! Armed police, oh my! Etc. Oh no, skip that. I just remembered what happened to me at Hornet's Hide 9...! Or there was the 'river incident' in May at Two Utilities, Perhaps?... Actually, why the hell do I play this dumb dangerous game anyway?!!

Most chilling caching moment of the year: My visit to Devil's Bridge. Friendly locals here!

Favourite cache I've placed this year: Military Intelligence was a laugh to place (in the light) but I think Missing Cacher must be my best one...so far.

Best NONswop of the Year: The binoculars which have been in View From Coombe Hill since Jan 2001. I left well alone.

Worst clue of the year: Wandering co-ords under the trees and a misleading clue made my visit to Bluebell Wood (Bucks) by Jaq (sorry!) an experience I don't want to repeat. Mind you, Dan & Pid's Touchet Terminator (Bucks) has a reputation as a bugger and I went straight to it, so perhaps luck plays a part in any find?

Favourite Software Application: Umm... Internet Explorer? I don't use any fancy software to help me cache. Just my 'trusty' eTrex and a well polished sense of irony.

Favourite Web Site: House Of Boo.co.uk or the Groundspeak Forums, of course :unsure:

Personalities of the Year: Deego, Lacto & Ecki, for lots of hard work and not enough acknowledgement.

And thanks to everyone else who's made my 2004 a cachetastic one!

SP

Edited by Simply Paul
....and we must say thank you to all those of you, by far the majority, who's prompt answers and accurate submissions make our job so much easier to to perform effectively.

Way to go guys! :lol::lol::D

Too right! Reading the Reviewer's private forum I realise what a fantastic group of people the vast, vast majority of UK and Ireland geocachers are.

You make our "job" as reviewers a dadgum sight easier than most of our colleagues around the world. My thanks you you all :unsure:

Have a great caching 2005

MarcB - I don't want to embarrass people but without caches the sport would die. In Staffordshire Marc has placed so many caches that are excellent. They are well thought out and introduced me to areas on my own doorstep that I didn't know existed! Thanks.

Thanks Zorro! I must admit I've enjoyed hiding and maintaining the caches immensely (especially the Alchemy Quest which debuted on 04/04/04) - can't wait to get out and hide/find some more (and get to some events!). I'm just so busy though!

MarcB :unsure:

Too right! Reading the Reviewer's private forum I realise what a fantastic group of people the vast, vast majority of UK and Ireland geocachers are.

That's a statement I not only find very complimentary, but also agree wholeheartedly with.

Thanks to all the people I have met in 2004, and to all the others who make this hobby what it is, be it on the forums, placing caches, setting up events, or simply keeping in touch.

Fair play. :unsure:

:D Best Cache of the Year: Grey Mans Head

A must-do for anyone visiting the north coast of Ireland. Spectacular scenery, and three differing possible approaches: as an easy hike (from S), a nature ramble (from E), or a proper ropes-'n-pitons climb from the base of the cliff. Outstanding.

:D Worst Cache of the Year: Back to the Ivies.

Duff co-ordinates, useless clue, leaking container, pisspoor contents. Dreadful.

;) Champion Irish Cacher 2004: Klaus23 - in 2005, he's opening a new account so that he can do them all again...

:D Special Event Cache Award: The Bridge Bandits for making a 400km journey to attend.

:o Best Software: Cachemate - couldn't manage without it.

;) Most Useful Geocaching Equipment: Hi-tec Sierra V-Lites - couldn't manage without them, either.

:D Lifetime Achievement Award: Lactodorum and Eckington - couldn't manage without them and neither could anyone else.

;) Most Useful Geocaching Equipment: Hi-tec Sierra V-Lites - couldn't manage without them, either.

Thanks Paul... thing is, I might have to do another Great Trip O'The North, as it seems everybody has been busy up there placing new caches. It also looks like there's some activity around the Carlow area... fat chance of me taking a drive down. :o

As for the boots - that's a coincidence... I splashed out on a pair of them two weeks ago.

And what a superb pair of boots. Very, very light, fit like gloves, look well and good value at 110 euro. You can even drive quite easily while wearing them. ;)

Edited by klaus23

Ok here goes...

Cache of the year: Cut Down Cache by Stu and Sarah - a real adventure

Meet of the year: North-West Spring Meet - The only one I went to but still very good!

Annoying person of the year: Snerdbe for being first to find on 90% of the caches placed last year! ;);)

Cacher of the year: Seasider for reaching 1000 first

Did Not Find of the year: Fowl Play - everyone could find it but me!

Clever Cache of the year: Fables, Myths and Legends - The Lost Mermaid by Mady/markandlynn

My best moment: Hiding Alchemy Quest Copper and finishing the series! :o

MarcB

:D Lifetime Achievement Award: Lactodorum and Eckington - couldn't manage without them and neither could anyone else.

In view of the last few days perhaps this could be bumped up.

And I am sure they would not mind if I added to their names that of Dave - Mancunian Pyrocacher for his efforts in getting approvals in critical area of Wales, for organizing events for CITO, caching publicity and mountain rescue support as well as good fun and company. Maybe he should also be the man of 2005 for making constructive suggestions to get us our of the mess we were in earlier - but there's a bit of ground to be covered before that.

:lol: Lifetime Achievement Award: Lactodorum and Eckington - couldn't manage without them and neither could anyone else.

In view of the last few days perhaps this could be bumped up.

And I am sure they would not mind if I added to their names that of Dave - Mancunian Pyrocacher for his efforts in getting approvals in critical area of Wales, for organizing events for CITO, caching publicity and mountain rescue support as well as good fun and company. Maybe he should also be the man of 2005 for making constructive suggestions to get us our of the mess we were in earlier - but there's a bit of ground to be covered before that.

<_< I'll second that :unsure: