What should I get???

kd5tqe

Hi. I am new to this, and don't have a clue on what to buy. I want a system that is handheld and can produce pretty detailed maps. I would also like it to where I can type in the coordinates in and it will show me where it is, etc. It can't be over $300. That's too pricy. Please help!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

I myself am pretty new to the geocaching sceen, but I love my Sportrak Pro. I use MapSend Topo and the maps are pretty good. (although I really haven't used many different programs) It's easy to use and easy to learn, I self taught the software and the GPS in just a couple hours to find my first 2 caches. Well good luck and welcome.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Hi there! I'm sure the old fogies get tired of these basic questions and so as a newbie myself that just got a GPSr last week and have logged a few finds, I'll give ya my rundown.

First, you might want to browse through GPS Units and Software as those topics have plenty of opinions on what is the best value for your money.

After doing a lot of research myself on these forums I decided to get a Magellan Meridian GPS. It is a very reliable unit and so far hasn't steared me wrong (pun intended) and it can be found on ebay for between $100 - $140. Also it's just a very nice looking gadget.

Streetmaps and especially maps that would be useful for Geocaching, such as Mapsend TOPO will cost another $50 -$70. And then the SD memory card will cost another bit of money depending on how much memory you want. If you want to have a whole state's worth of topography and city streets I'm guessing you'll want at least a 64 meg memory card.

It's very possible you can find a package deal on a full set of this hardware and software either on ebay or elsewhere or even on these boards at GPS Garage Sale. I've heard several recommendations to look at Frye's Electronics as they tend to put their GPSrs on sale every couple of months.

This is only my opinion and the sort of outfit I wound up with that makes me happy as a newbie that wants to be fairly well equiped for the game. I'm sure you'll hear back a lot of different things from different people about what's best, but this seems to be working for me!

Good luck!

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

For about that price check out the Etrex Vista. Great screen resolution. Enoug memory to get several dinky eastern states or All of most western states (TX, CA and AK excepted).

Both the Legen and Vista will require you to get the topo software separate.

So to stay in your budget you might have to drop down the the Legend to get the software.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

The Legend is a good unit and can be had pretty cheap these days. I think it's $219 at Amazon.com and Garmin has a $50 rebate.

It comes with a base map of North America, but the map isn't very detailed. You'll eventually want to pick up one of the Mapsource maps. If your primary use will be hiking/hunting, etc... the Mapsource Topo is the way to go. If you're planning on using it mostly for travel, consider Mapsource Roads and Recreation. The mapsource software runs about $100.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

All valid points, but I'd like to add that, IMHO, Garmin's MetroGuide mapset is a better choice vs. Roads & Recreation. The details of the difference escape me at the moment, but my Metroguide software lets me autoroute on my PC from cache to cache - I then download the driving directions to my Vista and follow the arrow from parking area to parking area. If I had to choose between purchasing topo and street maps, I would absolutely, positively, unequivocally go with the street maps. Most caches near me aren't hidden all that far from the roads, so the topo maps, while nice to have, aren't nearly as useful as the street maps. Plus the topo maps (Garmin's, at least) don't support auto-routing on your PC. As soon as you find all the caches near you, you'll find yourself ranging farther and farther afield, into unfamiliar towns and cities, and those street maps will become your single best caching investment. If you stumble across a really tough cache that requires a topo map, you can always print one out from TopoZone.com. That said, if you live in a remote area with three roads, and all the caches are 12 miles into the woods, you should get the topos.

I just got a Magellan Meridian Platinum. Best Buy had it for $281, and there is another $50 rebate from Magellan. I was deciding between the Garmin ETrex Vista (same price) which, while smaller, has no upgradable memory. With the Magellan, I got the MapSend software as well, and stayed under $300. I got a 128 MB SD Card for $70, and that took me over a bit ($300 was my goal, too.)

I have played with it a bit in the car (hooked up to the laptop, it told me how to get home. and I am REALLY looking foreward to going out after work and hitting some og the geocaches close to my house (less than a mile away, there are more than 10)

Good luck buying yours. Do the research, and don't be afraid of paying a little more for the one that meets your requirements. You will be happier in the end. I spen 3 weeks looking and reading about them. For me it came down to the memory upgradable feature of the Magellan Meridian Platinum.

---

Brad Buskey

deckyon@NOSPAM.msn.com

Magellan Meridian Platinum

Just to put in my tally, on ebay I just bought:

* Mapsend Topo for $55

* 64 meg SD card for $4 (that's right, four bucks)

* 6 in 1 USB card reader $14

* and last week my MeriGreen for $124

so that's $197 and a total of $25 shipping costs on everything: $222 altogether

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

I am not going to suggest one brand over another. That argument has been going on since the beginning of GPS time. Either a Garmin or a Magellan will do you well. The one thing you need is sufficient memory or the ability to add a memory card so you can download those maps you want....

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!