What's The Most Extreme Multi-cache

Jumbo Village

I was thinking about setting up a truly nasty multi-cache across several countries, as I travel a fair bit. The idea being that you'd need to answer a numbers question at 5/6 locations to get the location of the actual cache itself... You get the idea (you're geocachers right?!).

Does anyone know of the trickiest multi-cache, in terms of distance you'd have to travel to get all of the clues? I think these days they're not just multi-caches either are they? I'm sure I've seen some regular caches that have multiple clues.

Cheers

Richard

I just wonder if an approver would go for it, the distance may be too far for you to maintain the cache effectively. Now if you have a friend somewhere who was willing to maintain a cache a good distance away, then perhaps it would be not so much of a problem.

The other issue is that when a cacher finds the clues and the final cache is a good distance away, how many cachers would just give up? I suppose that fair warning on the cache page is fair enough, but imagine the disappointment of figuring out the final cords and it's further than you can travel.

You wouldn't need to maintain it, if it's like some of the multi's I've done. Go to N X.XXX W XX.XXXX and look at the historical monument. Pick every other letter in the third line of the inscription and use the follwing key to get your coords for stage 2......

As long as the landmarks were relatively "stable." I don't see a problem. and, as already mentioned, fair warning is given on the cache page that "in order to complete this cache you will have to visit 5 countries on 3 continents." or whatever.

Sounds like a coold idea.

I was thinking about setting up a truly nasty multi-cache across several countries, as I travel a fair bit. The idea being that you'd need to answer a numbers question at 5/6 locations to get the location of the actual cache itself... You get the idea (you're geocachers right?!).

How is that fun?

Perhaps, if you'd make it a series of standalone caches which need to be found to get to a final, someone might be challenged to try it, over time.

I have been noodling around the idea of setting up a Klondike Trail of '98 multi-cache, following the original gold rush route starting at Lake Bennet, BC and ending in Dawson City, Yukon.

The distance by road is about 685 km (425 miles), the actual multi-cache would depend on placement and so forth. The original route followed the Yukon river by boat and/or dog team.

Of course, the FTF prize would have to be some genuine Klondike gold nuggets.

For true historical accuracy, it really should start in Skagway, Alaska, but I'm not sure I would want to do a trans-border cache. It would only make it 25 km longer, at any rate.

Nothing on the drawing board yet, but who knows...

Regards,

Anthony