Scenic Areas Near Dallas

shunra

I might have some time available for caching around Dallas in January. I won't mind throwing in a few urbans, but what I'd really like is to get away from urban sprawl and see something unique. Are there particular areas within comfortable driving distance that I may want to focus on?

Thanks!

Shunra from WA

Northern Dallas. around the Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney area. These places are loaded with caches.

Can you tell me what's the scenic part? I see suburbs there, no big parks, no big rivers.. I mean: I'd rather spend a whole day in the wilderness to find one remote cache in a scenic location, then doing a couple of dozen suburban caches. I'm looking for beautiful open areas. Is there something like that within driving distance from Dallas?

Try these:

* Scyene Trail series

* Great Trinity Forest

* TGI Low Road and High Road

* Boulder Park loop

* Crawford Crush

All of these are south of downtown in some of the most beautiful and challenging terrain in north central Texas. These caches require hiking - kinda old skool caching! I recommend all of them!

This weekend I'm putting out a "power path" of 6 to 10 caches in northeast Collin County at Parkhill Prairie open space. It'll be a 3+ mile hike - easy terrain though.

I'd rather spend a whole day in the wilderness to find one remote cache in a scenic location, then doing a couple of dozen suburban caches. I'm looking for beautiful open areas.

Good luck with that. Thiers nothing scenic about Dallas unless you go north around the citys i listed like around 380 or farther South from Dallas like 9 Key suggested. Thiers PLENTY of scenic spots north of Dallas. If your looking at a map, thats not going to do you justice of the area. Try "Greenbelt Almost" that should be a nice scenic challenge for you. It just all depend on what you mean about Wilderness. Despite what you might have heard about Dallas its not some Open area with rolling hills that are remotely close to downtown. Your going to have to go to the outlying areas of the city like i listed prior. Now if you were to go North up 35 around their are some open areas, but nothing remotely close to Dallas if your trying to get away form the city. Your looking at hour drive time depending on where your stay regardless.

I'd rather spend a whole day in the wilderness to find one remote cache in a scenic location, then doing a couple of dozen suburban caches. I'm looking for beautiful open areas.

Good luck with that. Thiers nothing scenic about Dallas unless you go north around the citys i listed like around 380 or farther South from Dallas like 9 Key suggested. Thiers PLENTY of scenic spots north of Dallas. If your looking at a map, thats not going to do you justice of the area. Try "Greenbelt Almost" that should be a nice scenic challenge for you. It just all depend on what you mean about Wilderness. Despite what you might have heard about Dallas its not some Open area with rolling hills that are remotely close to downtown. Your going to have to go to the outlying areas of the city like i listed prior. Now if you were to go North up 35 around their are some open areas, but nothing remotely close to Dallas if your trying to get away form the city. Your looking at hour drive time depending on where your stay regardless.

Texan78, Roland and 9K - thank you all for your suggestions. If the trip materializes, I'll do 9Key's suggestions in the free afternoons, and if I get a whole day off, I'll drive North or Northeast to wilder country.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Joke or not, it doesn't get much lamer than that.

What's so lame about that - yes it was a joke (note the three smilies in the post). Growing up in Dallas, NC (pop ~3000) I've spent my whole life explaining to people as soon as I say I'm from "Dallas" that I mean NC and not Texas.

I apologize to all of the Texans that I have offended my inserting my Dallas, NC cache into this topic. Surely if you could get the Texas area into another regional forum, immature antics like this would never happen again.

E

Joke or not, it doesn't get much lamer than that.

What's so lame about that - yes it was a joke (note the three smilies in the post). Growing up in Dallas, NC (pop ~3000) I've spent my whole life explaining to people as soon as I say I'm from "Dallas" that I mean NC and not Texas.

I apologize to all of the Texans that I have offended my inserting my Dallas, NC cache into this topic. Surely if you could get the Texas area into another regional forum, immature antics like this would never happen again.

E

I, for one, fell for the joke, and I thought it was funny.

If I'll ever get to Dallas, NC, I'll make sure not to skip it :grin:

I will add my ringing endorsement of the caches suggested by 9key (not because I own a couple of them) but you are well advised to ignore the north side burbs, Plano McKinney etc if you like the woods and want a real challenge come down on the south or southeast side.

Check out DFWmaps.com for the terrain and aerial photos, this is the best hiking area Dallas has to offer in my mind, (and 9key has some good ones there too, check out Empress of Umphress Woodland Creatures and King of the Hill you could spend two whole days right down there in this neighborhood and just west of there the Boulder Park Loop Series, a beautiful hike, less strenuous but very scenic, on weekdays you will have these areas all to yourself, bring good boots, walk til your hearts content (or beating way too fast) and enjoy!

Those are some scenic areas, but those are also in the Burbs as well more than up north. When you compare those to the ones in North Mckinney, Prosper, Frisco and areas around 380. You cant go wrong ether way. They are a couple up here in the north that will take you on several mile hikes through parks and across the trinity river. Both west and east on 380. That is in McKinney, Plano, Frisco, Allen, City limts, but is in undevloped parts of the city so its pretty much country and woods.

i dont blame you for wanting to get out of the city. and those little park caches are great but not the same as real country! go south young man! go down 67 past cleburne to glen rose and do the day at dinosaur valley. there is more than a day's worth of caching and the terrain is cool as could be. closest thing to a mountain as you will get around here. you wont be sorry.

Thats quite a long drive from Dallas though. You will spend more time driving then caching. It is a nice area, ive camped at Dinosaur Valley SP. I wouldnt go as far to say its the closest thing to a Mountain though. Their is just as much country North as their is South though and more remotelty closer to Dallas.