Traveler Tags

Tracker Tom

The greatest problem I see is entering the coordinates of the spot you're dropping the hiker. Considering TPTB have such strict controls over where and how you can access this site, it makes it impossible to be able to simply type in a gc.com waypoint and have it filled in for you.

Other than that it just different and that's a bit of a learning curve. Thankfully it's pretty darn short.

You can past XML into the form and have it fill it in for you. You can use this for your travels outside of just from GC cache to GC cache.

You can do a lot more there in regards to tracking than you can here.

Have no idea about the problems about your password. I've never had the first problem with it.

I'm new to this geocaching thing, getiing a GPSMAP 60c for Xmas. But after discovering this site, and finding my first two in the last two days, I'm hooked. TB really add some interest to the caching process, in my novice opinion, and ran across a Traveler Tag in a cache yesterday. Didn't even know that these exisited, as there's not much discussion here about them. Like the idea of FREE tags, and the fact that you get the traveler tag number over the web, rather than having to buy the TB, and wait for the mail before you can begin it's adventure. Plus, I enjoyed designing the "tag" and attaching my own personal touch to the item.

As a side note, I didn't find the travelertags web site that cumbersome. Once I logged in and got my password, it was easy to log my find, using the easygps cut and paste instructions. Also activated my first of 5 free tag numbers, downloaded a picture of my traveler tag, and will be placing it and logging it's location, hopefully today.

I would like to see this site incorporate Traveler Tags to the caches in the same manner that it identifies TB associated with a cache, and possibly provide the link to take you to the travelertags website so that you can log it's journey.

What do ya think??

I would like to see this site incorporate Traveler Tags to the caches in the same manner that it identifies TB associated with a cache, and possibly provide the link to take you to the travelertags website so that you can log it's journey.

What do ya think??

I think it's a great idea! It'd be nice to see Groundspeak add a link too, for Bookcrossing.com books, as I plan to start leaving some in caches in the near future.

--Vic303

What do ya think??

I think fat chance. GC.COM sells their own travel tags and they are a money maker for the site. These are competetion and there is no way they would accomodate them. If you were Coke would you put a bottle of Pepsi in every six pack?

I've used four of my five free traveler tags in the last few of months.

I agree with some of the previous posts about the increased creativity and convenience allowed with the traveler tag distribution (making your own tags and not having to deal with shipping costs and delays). I also like the price.

I find the web interface a bit aukward, but not untennable.

I have not seen any movement in any of my tags, maybe because my tags do not stand out as "this is a traveler, keep it moving", or maybe because the disconnect between gc.com and traveler tags leads to one more thing that has to be logged, and logging the traveler tags is not followed through on.

The gc.com travel bugs have a HUGE advantage from both their immediate recognition within the community as travel bugs, and because of their connection with gc.com which continually reminds the finder that they have a bug in their inventory that needs to be moved on. And, logging the bug drop-off only requires the click of a mouse.

Lasty, and most importantly in my mind, and regardless of what the traveler tags page claims, my email address was distributed to spammers within a day of my logging into traveler tags. I created three new email accounts during the month that I first logged into the traveler tags page. All of my accounts, except the one I logged into to traveler tags with, have remained spam free for that last three months. Within 24 h of my logging into the traveler tag page, I started recieving spam on that account. I am fairly internet savy, and careful about who gets an email address of mine. I believe that the only place that could have given out my email address was the traveler tag page or one of the other pages run by the same organization that runs traveler tags.

Needless to say, I am saddened by this, and don't plan on doing much business with a company that appears to disregard their posted privacy policy.

Traveler Tags have the potential to be a cross site travel bug system. It's entirely possible to negotiate an agreement with the variouse listing sites to have them show up on cache pages, spread the revinue around and so on.

I don't think that's likely to happen across the board, but the possibility remains.

I'm not sure what the Grounspeak reaction would be if another site decided to honor the Groundspeak TB and show them on cache pages if they were in their caches. But I haven't asked either.

We do have travler tags locally, and I may very use one of them in a puzzle cache I'm working on. If you are into the hobby for travel bugs you can look these up and see where they are at. You can't do that with a GC.com bug yet.

I believe that the only place that could have given out my email address was the traveler tag page or one of the other pages run by the same organization that runs traveler tags.

Needless to say, I am saddened by this, and don't plan on doing much business with a company that appears to disregard their posted privacy policy.

That's easily checked experimentally.

I have just created a disposable domain. The only place that domain will ever appear is in my email address for TT.com which I have just registered.

I can disable the domain (and spam) if there's a problem.

I'll report on progress...

Cheers,

Stu