Looking To Buy Gps Unit

Merrill Misfits

WELCOME!

Here's a post that helps out. It's in the Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions thread pinned at the top of the Getting Started forum.

Offroute.com also has a very nice side-by-side comparison of a lot of units. The only thing it doesn't show is price.

Here's a quick opinionated answer to one of your questions: If you get a unit with a data cable and base maps, you won't feel the need to upgrade for quite some time.

If you're looking for answers to specific questions, I'd suggest the GPS Units and Software Forum.

Edited by Markwell

How much to you have to spend? What are your planned uses? That would help narow it down.

One good all around unit is the Garmin eTrex Legend. Its a mapping GPS with some nice features and you can find it these day for for about $150 and sometimes lower if you shop around. An advantage of the eTrex line is their compact size which makes it great for hiking, backpacking, hunting, biking and geocaching. A step up from the Legend is the eTrex Vista which has more memory 24 meg vs. the Legend's 8 meg and an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. The Vista is an excellent unit and can be had for about $219.

If money is no object, you might want to consider the Garmin 60C or 60CS. Its a full featured mapping unit with a color screen and it does auto routing which is a nice feature. Key in a location or an address and the GPS will guide you there.

You can find a 60CS for about $390 and the 60C for about $50 less

The Garmin Map76S and 76CS are also nice units. The 76 series is great for boating, as they float. They also have some marine related features that aren't in other models. They are also fine for geocaching and driving. They are one of the larger GPS's which is great for driving (larger screen), but not as good for geocaching and hiking. You can get the 76S for under $300 and its sister GPS, the 76CS for about $400. The 76CS has a lot more memory and a color screen.

All the above are mapping GPS's. They come with a base map that isn't too detailed and you can download Garmin's detailed maps if you buy the software.

Edited by briansnat

Not knowing if you have a price range in mind I would recomend the Magellan Meridian Gold. The Meridian has an expandable memory (SD Card) to store maps onto, My Meridian Gold has all of Nevada and Calif. on it using there Map Send direct route software. Direct route gives turn by turn directions to the cache area which is fine for urban caches. I also use Map Send topo for non urban caches. Magellan also offers the Meridan Platinum which adds a Tri Axial magnetic compass, being a Magnetic compass it will work while you are standing still, being tri axial you do not have to hold it level (This is a feature that is exclusive to Magellan in the consumer market) While the Tri axial compass is nice I carry std. base plate compass, you can these for about 8 to 10 dollars and they do not require batteries. The Platinium also has a barometer to track weather changes which may be very handy going into winter. Some people think the Meridian is a little large but I have never found this to be an issue, it does fit into the pocket of my vest quite easily.

If you are looking for some thing smaller You might look at the Magellan Sport Track pro. It is smaller than the Meridian with a smaller memory but more than enough memory for geocaching.

I love my Garmin eTrex Legend. Haven't had any problems out of it at all and it is easy to use. After about an hour I had the thing all figured out. Bought the Magellan Meridian Gold first. Had to take the first one back because it would restart itself every few minutes for no apparent reason and the one they exchanged it for wouldn't even power on. I am guessing it was just a bad batch cause I know lots of people that have those and love them. I think I paid like $160 for my Legend but you can find them cheaper if you shop around. The Meridian I bought originally cost about $210 I think.

Dude!!

amazon.com, right NOW!! Trust me on this one.

Magellan Gold after discounts and appying for and using their credit card to purchase the unit, $167.00 b 4 tax. This is literally a steal. And you get free shipping to boot. This unit at BestBuy as of 11/23/04 was $249.99

Mine is in the mail to me at this very moment.

This one is sweet!!

cotati697