Locationless Analyzer Available For Download

Thot

You can download the locationless cache analyzer RIGHT HERE.

I’ve made several modifications to the program based on feedback from the people who tried it. So, if you tried it earlier you may want to download the current version.

Thanks very much to all who tried the program, reported bugs and gave several constructive suggestions.

If you're interested in locationless caches I hope you’ll try the program. You may be surprised what you learn.

I welcome constructive (and laudatory :D) comments.

Edited by Thot
Shouldn't this be moved to the GPS Units and Software forum?

Why? It seems to me it's about locationless caches, not GPSrs.

Why do you think is has any more to do with GPSrs than all of geocaching does? Everything about geocaching has something to do with GPSrs, but other than that . . . :D

Probably because it's a piece of software. All the software discussion normally goes there.

It looks like a pretty helpful piece of software for those who do locationless caches. It also looks like it does some webscraping. Does it have an OK from Groundspeak? Isn't that what got Buxley's banned? Cool little app if it's OK to use.

Edited by Mopar

And away we goooooooo.... he he.

Yes Thot, it does really belong there. Your other topic should be closed as well since this new one has been opened. The web craping issue is huge, and it could mean that your ability to use the site may be disrupted. You might want to check with the site to and explain the way your program works to make sure it is OK. It is totally possible to get this type of program OK'd if it can be a benifit to cachers. You should write the contact address and they will direct you from there. One of my pet-peaves about locationless caches is the fact that they become very difficult to check for duplicate entries (unless you import the finds into excel and sort the data and check it every now and then).

Off to the Software forum!

Probably because it's a piece of software. All the software discussion normally goes there.

How about that. I have always interpreted that title to mean GPS Units and Software associated with GPS units. Sorry.

TPTB might consider renaming the forum GPS Units and All Geocaching Software

Edited by Thot
The web craping issue is huge, and it could mean that your ability to use the site may be disrupted. You might want to check with the site to and explain the way your program works to make sure it is OK. It is totally possible to get this type of program OK'd if it can be a benifit to cachers. You should write the contact address and they will direct you from there. One of my pet-peaves about locationless caches is the fact that they become very difficult to check for duplicate entries (unless you import the finds into excel and sort the data and check it every now and then).

Roger. Wilco.

I didn’t realize there was a problem with this as it seems to do the same sort of thing the other locationless cache aids referred in the other thread do, and in general just didn't know there might be an issue with this.

Ok from the other thread BETA testing is a cycle to work out bugs. BETAs are ususally givin to non-production company members. I like to BETA programs for several reasons:

1) I get to use it before most people

2) I get to be more involved with the programs I use

3) It's absolutly free, free, free, free

4) I don't have to pay for the games I play because they're free

5) did I mention free?

Ok so I will give it a shot after I do a few other things.

Edited by Beta Test
Shouldn't this be moved to the GPS Units and Software forum?

Why? It seems to me it's about locationless caches, not GPSrs.

Why do you think is has any more to do with GPSrs than all of geocaching does? Everything about geocaching has something to do with GPSrs, but other than that . . . :D

Just to follow up on my previous comments, here's the official description/definition of the GPS Units and Software forum:

Any and all discussions about GPS units. Here you can talk GPS, GPS Units, and those miraculous satellites that give our game life.

This description doesn't provide a clue the forum is intended to include all software or software generally.

Edited by Thot

With Thot's permission, I've added a link to his software from my Categorized List of Locationless Caches.

It's a good program. While it could help someone looking for locationless caches, I think it's much more useful for the owners of locationless caches. Every cache I checked using this program showed duplicate entries. I'm sure maintaining a Locationless Cache page is a bit of pain, and many owners end up archiving their cache because they don't want to do it anymore. This program makes it very easy; I hope some of the owners will begin using it.

As for the scraping, it would be a good idea to contact Groundspeak. But Thot's program only scrapes a single page, so (in my opinion) it's no different from a user surfing to that page with a browser. You have to enter the URL for each page -- it's not spidering or anything. So really it's almost exactly like a browser. Just my 2 cents.

If you own a locationless cache, please check it out!

Just to follow up on my previous comments, here's the official description/definition of the GPS Units and Software forum:

Any and all discussions about GPS units. Here you can talk GPS, GPS Units, and those miraculous satellites that give our game life.

This description doesn't provide a clue the forum is intended to include all software or software generally.

Sure it does! the title that says GPS Units and Software . The software is in the title. But no matter, it's here now.

As for the scraping, it would be a good idea to contact Groundspeak. But Thot's program only scrapes a single page, so (in my opinion) it's no different from a user surfing to that page with a browser. You have to enter the URL for each page -- it's not spidering or anything. So really it's almost exactly like a browser. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that scraping a page like this does not present an greater load then a human user, and the program can be very helpful to cachers. Still, it probably technically violates the TOS, so it would be nice to see an official OK on this.

Sure it does! the title that says GPS Units and Software . The software is in the title.

You simply put the empahsis where you assume it goes. I thought we'd already established you think it reads, GPS Units, and Software, and I think it reads GPS Units and Software.

I felt the expanded explanation of the purpose of the forum supports my interpretation of the title, and fails to support yours.

Edited by Thot
Good program -if I only could use it.

Tried on few caches and keep getting following feedback:

Run-time error '13':

Type mismatch

:rolleyes:  :yikes:  :laughing:

I use Windows 2000 Ver.5 SP4

What luck. I had about 7-10 people run it over the weekend with only one glitch which was fixed. Now it's throwing errors. I'm emailing you some questions.

edited to add:

I suspect it is something specific to 2000. I just tried it on about 5 caches picked at random with no problem. I have no way to test on 2000.

Edited by Thot
I managed to solve this myself, your program runs if I change the decimal separator to dot instead of comma which is a standard in my home country :yikes:

I understand. I'm looking into making it compatible with regional standards -- i.e., comma vs period for decimal point

This is a pretty slick idea. I think that there area acouple of things that could be done to improve its usefulness, but given this is the first version out of the door, it is great. A couple of things that came to mind are a way to specify a new cache without having to restart the program, and an install program. Also allow sorting for nearest logs and showing the distance to the log. Something worth looking at. I think that it could be used for other things as well, scrapig off coordinates from a web page. Good work!

If you have Win98 or another of the Win9x series you should download and try the program. It's a small download and it can't hurt anything if it doesn't work. It worked for three out of the 4 people who've reported trying it on Win98.

Edited by Thot
If you have Win98 or another of the Win9x series you should download and try the program. It's a small download and it can't hurt anything if it doesn't work. It worked for three out of the 4 people who've reported trying it on Win98.

Thot, you can make that four out of five for Windows98. I downloaded it on my work computer with WIN98 on it and it works for it also. Thanks for this program. I have found around thirteen locationless caches now utilizing your program. Keep up the good work.

LSUFan