"i.w.g." Faq

Q: What does “IWG” stand for?

A: Ireland's Worst Geocacher.

Q: Does “IWG” operate everywhere?

A: To date, IWG's depredations have been confined to Ireland. However, there is always a risk that he may start looking for caches in GB, or even further afield.

Q: “IWG” found my cache! What should I do?

A: You should carry out an immediate maintenance visit. Your cache may have been left out in the open, or even moved to another location in the area. If there were travel bugs in the cache, you may find that one is missing but has not been logged on its TB page. It may be several months before this item turns up, if it ever does.

Q: Does IWG operate alone?

A: It is thought that IWG has an accomplice – believed to be of primary school age. It is difficult to tell which of them writes up the log entries.

Q: I found a cache which was a re-used microwave food carton wrapped in a black bin liner. Could this be an IWG cache?

A: Unlikely. The container sounds right but black bin liners cost money - “IWG” tends to use white plastic “shirt bags” from supermarkets, because they're free.

Q: Are IWG's caches always damp?

A: No. They are dry when first placed, and until the first rain falls. Even after that, it may take a couple of days for the contents to become fully saturated.

Q: Why are the co-ordinates of IWG's caches always wrong?

A: This is a mystery. Even when IWG manages to use the correct map datum, an error of more than 70 feet is quite a lot. There is circumstantial evidence that the duff co-ords and other misleading information are a deliberate policy - to make the cache in question “more fun”.

Q: I found an IWG cache which had a box with two lids! What does this mean?

A: Your guess is as good as mine.

Q: Are you making all this up?

A: No.

Q: Is “IWG” a real person?

A: Unfortunately, yes.

Q: Is it true that your own cache GCKFBA, is a satire on the activities of IWG?

A: Absolutely correct. However, mine has no water in it.

Q: What will you do if the real “IWG” reads this topic?

A: Provided that I can decipher the inevitable spelling and punctuation mistakes, I would welcome any comments which he might have...