Our First Cache Setup

GoDogGo

We've just started and found our first two caches today. Great fun! Our kids were really jazzed and getting them to hike three miles and call it fun is a major accomplishment.

Now we are very interested in setting up our first cache. There is a lot of beginner info on finding caches, but not very much on setting one up. Before we start scouting for likely locations, do any of you seasoned geocachers have any tips that may not be very obvious. We were impressed that the two we found were pretty well thought out - they were accessible yet not obvious, they were safe from creatures and muggles, and we didn't find any undesireable items like food or inappropriate goods. Any other tips?

By the way, what do most of you find most fun, establishing caches or finding caches?

Thanks, and happy geocaching!

First, find an interesting area. Think about why you are bringing people there. It might be a nice view, interesting geological feature, historic site, or just a pleasant walk. If the only reason is the cache then consider someplace else.

Next use a quality, waterproof container. Ammo boxes are by far the best (if you use one please paint out the military markings), but Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (with the blue rim on the lid) and Lock n Locks work pretty well. Cheap, dollar store plastic containers, Chinese/deli food containers, Gladware and similar containers are poor choices as they will fail pretty quickly. If you choose to use these you better be prepared to visit often to drain the water and dry out the contents. Don't use containers that previously held food, because the animals might still find them interesting and gnaw through, or worse. Prominently mark your container on the outside stating that its a geocache. Provide contact info if you can and this website's URL

Third, provide a decent logbook. I don't understand people who can't be bothered to spend 99 cents on a spiral bound memo pad and just toss in a few sheets of paper stapled together...sometimes just torn from a book because they're too lazy to get scissors.

Put the logbook in its own Ziploc just in case the container fails, or someone forgets to close it correctly. Nobody likes signing mushy, moldy logbooks.

Fourth, stock your cache some decent swag. A little something for kids, something for adults. You don't have to break the bank, but please just don't clean out your junk drawer and toss the discards in the cache.

Fifth, hide your cache well. Make sure its far enough off the beaten path so non geocachers won't accidently stumble on it and searchers aren't likely to be observed by the public. Conceal it well, but not so well that people will tear up the area looking for it.

Finally and most important of all. MAINTAIN your cache. Be ready to respond promptly to reported problems. Check on it periodically. Once every few months is good for most caches. More popular caches may require extra visits and remote ones that get few finds can go a lot longer between checks.

As far as whether I prefer finding, or hiding cache a quick look at my profile should provide the answer.

Happy hiding!!!!

Edited by briansnat

I have been able to find note books to use for logs at a good price from Big Lots and in some 99 cents store in packages of 6 note books for 99 cents.

If you use plastic containers it would be a good idea camouflage them, is use green and brown spray paint, water colors do not work. I am including a photo of some caches I recently put together.

ad32496b-09e6-4666-a55b-01a202738f72.jpg

These are part of this cache (My battle against micros were reg caches will fit)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f8-ec2b2f64cf57

Edited by JohnnyVegas

brian explained it pretty well.

Seriously, though... I'd say find at least 25 before you go out and hide them. That way, you'll see first hand what works and what doesn't.

If you're going for a plastic container, rubbermade makes a great screwtop one that's $2-3 at walmart and holds a TON of stuff.... I've never had a leak.

Dollar stores, freds, big lots sell spiral notebooks 3 or 4 for a dollar all the time. Get one there - plus, they can be shortened if they're too big. (Side bound notebooks can make multiple log books!)

cut straight across and then snip the wire (cut with a pair of scissors then break apart by hand and bend the sharp ends down) and you'll have two books.

<_< I am getting ready to set out my first cache, but am concerned about the "surroundings". I own the riverfront property on which the cache will be placed, and currently have "No Trespassing" signs on trees to keep out the canoe folks who like to stop and camp out for the day. In my cache description, I certainly want to make the seekers aware of the signs, and to understand that cachers are welcome on the property. Is it likely that I won't get the cache approved due to the signs already posted?
<_<  I am getting ready to set out my first cache, but am concerned about the "surroundings".  I own the riverfront property on which the cache will be placed, and currently have "No Trespassing" signs on trees to keep out the canoe folks who like to stop and camp out for the day.  In my cache description, I certainly want to make the seekers aware of the signs, and to understand that cachers are welcome on the property.  Is it likely that I won't get the cache approved due to the signs already posted?

Include the fact that its your property in the "note to reviewer" section and you should be fine.

Edited by briansnat

GoDogGo:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with those that tell you to find more caches before you try to hide any. The reason is exactly the same one they use. If you go out and find another 25 caches, then you think about hiding your caches in the same manner. Not Bad, but that would tend to make your hides ordinary!

Develope your own style of hiding caches. Hide one, then sit back and see how the others cachers respond to it. If they report a problem about the cache, be sure to get right out there and correct it.

If you want a lot of people to look for your cache it is best to keep it close to the road (a hundred yards or so). If the cache requires a hike of more than 1/2 mile the majority of the cachers will pass on it.

The reason we hide a cache is to get people to an area we enjoy going to and hope they will also enjoy it.

One last suggestion: When most people are out looking for a cache, they spend most of their time looking low to the ground. Try hiding one above normal eye level.

Have fun hiding your caches,

John

Thanks to all those who replied.

Although we are just beginners, I think the main reason we want to start a cache is because this is such a neat idea that we want to contribute to the effort by adding more targets. In our area, there are only 20-25 caches within a ten mile circle. It seems like there needs to be more.

GoDogGo

You have had my signature ATV travel bug for months. I have been trying to track you down. I have emailed you several times and even offered to pay postage to send my bug home. Still no reply.

That bug is part of a cross country race and I would like to know its status. If someting happened and you just haven't been out for months...just let me know.

If anyone who reads this post knows GoDogGo, or recruited him into caching, please tell him to contact me as soon as possible.

Thank you!

LeeAnn Harris

lharris@trailpass.com

1-800-381-2260 ex 72

GoDogGo:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with those that tell you to find more caches before you try to hide any. The reason is exactly the same one they use. If you go out and find another 25 caches, then you think about hiding your caches in the same manner. Not Bad, but that would tend to make your hides ordinary!

Develope your own style of hiding caches. Hide one, then sit back and see how the others cachers respond to it. If they report a problem about the cache, be sure to get right out there and correct it.

If you want a lot of people to look for your cache it is best to keep it close to the road (a hundred yards or so). If the cache requires a hike of more than 1/2 mile the majority of the cachers will pass on it.

The reason we hide a cache is to get people to an area we enjoy going to and hope they will also enjoy it.

One last suggestion: When most people are out looking for a cache, they spend most of their time looking low to the ground. Try hiding one above normal eye level.

Have fun hiding your caches,

John

I have logged a cache that was in a tree.I am 6 foot tall and thought I would have to climb to reach it.I also found a micro in a branch on the ground that the hider had drilled a hole in and stuck the film container in.I picked that branch up and looked under it 4 times before I looked at the branch itself..These two still make me grin when I think about them.I say yes to origanal hides :lol: