Garmin 12

My wife and I started with a 12, the important thing to remember is that it counts down in tenths and thousandths of a mile, so when it "zeroes out" you are within 52 feet of the cache, hypothetically. That can make things challenging, but we found several that way. When we upgraded to a V the game became much easier.

I used a 12 as my first GPS and still have it as a backup. Nice unit with great battery life (although it takes 4 AAs). I entered coordinates by hand because I didn't have a cable, but my girlfriend looked over my shoulder to make sure I got them right (okay, sometimes we didn't go look for the cache right away after that). It works like a champ.

Be sure that you have the datum set to WGS 84 (I'm pretty sure mine came that way) and the coordinates set to degrees, mintutes and decimal minutes--dd.mm.mmm (I think mine was originally set to degrees, minutes and seconds-- dd.mm.ss)

Edit: It does count down by .001 miles, but when I got close, I would look at the displayed coordinates compared to the listed coordinates and get closer that way. (.001 minute is about 6 feet, but neither your nor the hider's GPS is that accurate.) No GPS is going to get you closer than 20 or 30 feet of the cache consistently. When you are within "spitting distance," put down the GPS and think, "Where would I have hidden this thing?"

Edited by Sputnik 57

You are absolutely right. I think it has been an advantage to us that we "trained" on a 12 and therefore never got locked into chasing the arrow. I still look at the gpsr as a tool to get you into the general area of the cache and 50 to 100 feet out start looking for "where I would hide it". A couple of friends of mine never look up until the arrow zeroes them out, then they are frustrated when the cache is not sitting right there where the arrow says it should be. The funny thing is they all understand the inherent problems with accuracy of coords as read by multiple units.

I love my Garmin 12. I'm helping a friend learn how to use his

first GPSr (a Garmin Ledgend). It has plenty of bells and

whistles but, call me old fashioned, I love my Garmin 12.

In the picture, I have dressed up the receiver with an old

cellphone case and a pencil. I now use a bic pen;

it seems to provide better coverage. :unsure:

119047_3500.JPG

I usually have my GPS12 set on metric units so it will get me within 10 meters, which is about as close as it can "get me" to a cache anyway. I've had mine for years and it still meets my needs, so I haven't changed.

I too used an old cell phone case that happened to fit for a case. That's my one main gripe--Garmin doesn't make a good carrying case for the thing. Their one-size-fits-all case is okay, but not real handy compared to a cell phone holster.

Datum chack--power on--[quit]--system--navigation--datum. (I'm pretty sure, that's from memory.

My wife and I started with a 12, the important thing to remember is that it counts down in tenths and thousandths of a mile, so when it "zeroes out" you are within 52 feet of the cache, hypothetically.  That can make things challenging, but we found several that way.  When we upgraded to a V the game became much easier.

Used to have a Garmin 38 which seems similar to the 12. Its resolution was .01 miles not .001. .01 miles puts you within 52 feet. To get closer to the cache I would use the lat/long numbers as the .001 minutes resolution is about six feet. But as other posters have pointed out the best method is to get in the area and ask yourself where would you hide it. :DThe 38 finally died and was not repairable. Replaced with GPS Map60cs. This has all the bells and whistles but the time to find a cache has stayed about the same for me.

Edited by airman