Garmin Gecko 201

Inkbleed

I haven't yet purchased a GPS, and I do not want to spend a lot of money on something I haven't every tried (geocaching). I do know that I would like a GPS that has icons and a "map" that can tell me which direction to go.

Does anyone have a Garmin Gecko 201 and if so can you tell me how you like it and if it is user friendly or in my case idiot friendly?

Thanks

My thoughts are:

The Geko 201 is $140 and does not include a PC cable

The Legend is $170 and does include a PC cable

- you're gonna want a cable - trust me! So add another $12 to the Geko which makes it $152

That's an $18 difference in price!

For that small difference in price, if you got a Legend, you'd get a mapping unit (with a basemap), a larger display with better resolution. You also get twice as many waypoints and and 50% better battery life.

...and if you decide you don't like it and want to sell it, the Legend will give you a higher resale percentage than the Geko because the Legend is more popular.

...Just my 2¢

Edited by Neo_Geo

I don't understand the thing everyone has about mapping units. Here in the UK most of the best caches are off-road and the map resolution is so low it is useless. The Geko has a lower screen resolution but IMHO that makes it easier to read.

The Geko is a physically smaller unit, which has advantages and disadvantages. The batteries do not last quite as long (I use rechargables). In large hands it may be a bit small. Being small I can also mount the unit on my bike handlebars. I like the small physical size, its small and pocketable

All in all I love my Geko, its accurate and does the job. As mentioned you will need the computer cable.

Martin :unsure:

not sure why downloading waypoints is such a big deal either

Well, if you only do an occasional waypoint now and then, it is no big deal. But, if you have to create a route, for backpacking or something, then manually creating about 15 or 20 waypoints is a royal pain! Plus, with the cable and waypoint management software, you can send that route onto your computer for storage until next year or whenever you want that route again.

Edited by Alphawolf
I don't understand the thing everyone has about mapping units.  Here in the UK most of the best caches are off-road and the map resolution is so low it is useless.  The Geko has a lower screen resolution but IMHO that makes it easier to read.

The Geko is a physically smaller unit, which has advantages and disadvantages.  The batteries do not last quite as long (I use rechargables).  In large hands it may be a bit small. Being small I can also mount the unit on my bike handlebars. I like the small physical size, its small and pocketable

All in all I love my Geko, its accurate and does the job.  As mentioned you will need the computer cable.

Martin  :ph34r:

Some of us find other uses for our GPSrs beyond Geocaching. With a mapping unit (and the right map software) you can look up specific addresses, find the nearest hotels, restaurants, stores & shopping centers, tourist attractions. And you can look them up by category or even specifically by name (want the nearest fast food place or even Taco Bell rather than just the nearest place to eat?). The more features you have on a GPSr, the more versatile it is and the more useful it can be to someone.

And if all you ever use it for is caching, then sooner or later you're gonna run out of caches in familiar territory, and then a mapping unit is useful for getting you near the caches.

As far as resolution is concerned, higher is better. With the Geko's low resolution, the letters appear blocky and jagged looking - crude even. With the Legend's hi-res display, the letters appear smoother and more easier on the eyes psychologically.

Besides mapping and better display, the Legend has a Trip Computer page where you can show eight different data fields to display out of a choice of thirty two data types such as Speed, Odometer, Trip Odometer, Maximum Speed, ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), ETE (Estimated Time Enroute), Lacation (Coordinates), Elevation, etc.

There are numerous other features that the Legend has and the Geko lacks.

Yeah, you can save a few bucks and get a whiz-bang toy, or spend a few more dollars and get something that's more of a tool. Simply put, you're gonna like a model that has a lot more features a lot more. If you buy a Geko, you might not enjoy caching as much as if you'd bought a Legend.

Again, ...Just my 2¢

Edited by Neo_Geo

Ths 201 is a great little unit. Simple interface, great battery life, doesn't come with a cable as some have mention but they're cheap (see below). You should be able to find one for ~$130 (I paid $163 CDN for mine with works out to be about $126 with the current exchange rate). It has twice the storage of the 101 and the 101 doesn't have a connector for a data cable.

Cables:

You can get them for $7.45 in the US. And you can get connectors for like $4 or 5 each from pfranc to make you own cable. Or you could go completely homebrew basically for free.

...the Legend has a Trip Computer page where you can show eight different data fields to display out of a choice of thirty two data types such as Speed, Odometer, Trip Odometer, Maximum Speed, ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), ETE (Estimated Time Enroute), Lacation (Coordinates), Elevation, etc.

I don't know what Geko you've been using but my Geko 201 has all those features.
There are numerous other features that the Legend has and the Geko lacks.
Like?

Thorin

Edited by thorin

I have a Geko 201 and a GPSMAPS76. I usually use the 76 for my weekend geocaching and the 201 for caching during lunch during the week. I got lucky and bought the 201 used and got all the cables I could want though I have only hooked it to my PC once moslty I just input the WP by hand as most of the caches I do with it are multies. The input feature is a little frustrating you have to push the OK button to input a number. Once to pick the number then once after the number is incrimented and OK to comfirm it. But it is a nice unit I think I justified getting it because my daughter is a runner and it was a cheap alternative to a forerunner. Basically it was just a cheap deal. If you hae to pay full price get a ETREX Legend. I dont like its input but you get a new software and hardware design then with the GEKO. Maps is seconday for geocaching if Maps are important get a IQUE PDA. Hope this helps

cheer

Sorry - I somehow missed the trip computer browsing the manual my first time around. But the Legend's can display 8 fields and the Geko only 4.

Cables

$7.45 price

+5.00 shipping and handling

12.45 total

The fact that you can get a mapping unit for just $20 more - why wouldn't you???

I got a Geko 101 last year for Christmas. I had no clue what use(s) I could have for it. A buddy told me that I can geocache, and after 1 or 2 caches, I was hooked.

It has served me well for a year. It's a bit tough on batteries, and I have to manually input waypoints. However, it's easy to use and I can stick it in my briefcase for a quick lunchtime cache.

That said, I'm lusting for a Garmin 60cs for this Christmas...please pass that on to my wife :lol:

Edited by Tycho52

I've had a Geko 201 for a couple of years now. Yes, the cable is very useful (I bought the computer/auto/GPSr combo).

For a few dollars more, the mapping feature is definitely worth it - provided you have a use for the maps.

But I really like the small size of the Geko. It fits any pocket I have and rests easily in my hand when running. It does consume batteries quite rapidly. And the "ON" switch has an annoying habit of turning itself on - some users have rectified this by gluing a small washer around it.

The Gecko 201 is a pretty decent unit. If small size and ease of use are the most important criteria that someone is looking for, the Gecko 201 is the way to go.

But the Gecko 201 is priced a bit high and with the Legend going for $160 and sometimes less, if someone wants the most GPS for the money, the Legend wins hands down.

The Gecko 201 uses the same cable as the eTrex line, so it's also a good choice for an eTrex user who is looking for a second, or backup GPS.

The Gecko 101 is OK for the very occasional geocacher, but the lack of a data port makes it unsuitable for anything but casual geocaching.

I bought my Geko 201 when they first came out for $115. Now you can buy them for under $90, check through Google's Froogle shopping search engine.

I bought the bike mount, data cable, and 12V power cable. I have used it geocaching (of course!) and when travelling. Since I use it in conjunction with good maps, I don't need a mapping GPS. The unit went through a 17mph bike crash with no problems. (I, on the other hand, did have problems with the crash!)

I use the DeLorme Topo mapping software, and by and large the two are pretty decent together.

The rated battery life is different from the actual in-use battery life. Today I rode 25 miles and hit two caches. Including use yesterday, I would peg the battery life during actual walking/biking around as being about 5-6 hours or so. If the unit is sitting stationary in battery save mode, then its about what Garmin rates it. I think what happens is that when the unit is moving, it keeps itself fully awake to update the position info. When its stationary, part of it shuts down to conserve power.

I find the display to be completely adequate, and I have no problems reading the letters.

The current Geko models lack the Geko decal. I liked it! The lack of the geko on the Geko may be a deciding factor for you.