Archived Caches

Koi Mama

There have been many wonderful improvements to the Geocaching site. However, I recently had reason to want to go back to the cache page for an archived cache (to access a hint that will help with a current cache) and I could not find it. I suspect that archived cache logs are cleaned out periodically but I do not know if they are still accessible. I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks, Koi Mama

I suspect that archived cache logs are cleaned out periodically but I do not know if they are still accessible.

Nope they're not.

But archived caches are kinda hard to find (purposefully so). If you have the link, that's great. If you know a cacher that found the archived cache, you can used the advanced search to search for a list of caches found by a user, and the archived cache will show up on that list, or you could probably ask your local reviewer (and feed his paypal account ;)) and s/he might provide a link.

Those are about the only ways I know of to find an archived cache.

But they are NOT deleted or purged.

There have been many wonderful improvements to the Geocaching site. However, I recently had reason to want to go back to the cache page for an archived cache (to access a hint that will help with a current cache) and I could not find it. I suspect that archived cache logs are cleaned out periodically but I do not know if they are still accessible. I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks, Koi Mama

You cannot find an archived cache thru the normal search, however, you can find a link to it via the hider's stats (or the stats of finders of the cache).

If you've found it you can also access your logs off the 'my cache' page and search threw them. (Or search yourself with the advanced page as Markwell suggests).

Also, rarely, a cache is archived without letting it be viewed afterwards (clicking on a link to that cache just redirects you elsewhere). Thats probably not the case, however.

How do you find out who your local reviewer is? :anibad:

Have a cache approved by them and look at the bottom of your cache page (while logged in). You will see who it is.

-or-

Ask (in your region forum or via email to another cacher in your area)

Back OT:

Another method to find an archived cache page is to use google.com. Put the cache name in the search box followed by site: geocaching.com. If the cache had been active for more than a week or so, it will likely have been hit by the google spiders.

Edited by Stunod

I'm not sure if this has been said but if you're a premium member and you go to the advanced geocaching maps you can look up archived caches. This is found with the map it button. You then find the area, check the box that says "list archive/disabled caches" and identify.

Edited by Anonymous'
How do you find out who your local reviewer is? :D

going here might be helpful

But just remember that we have no use for a master list like that made available to the public.

Actually, if that list was accurate and/or complete it would be helpful. Since neither is the case your best bet is to email the contact address linked at the left below the main menu on each geocaching.com web page. They will help you or will point you in the direction you need to go in.